Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting Technicians Students

Options
  • 03-04-2014 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, i'm in my second year of Accounting Technicians course, doing my exams in May.

Just wondering does anyone want to start a discussion on tips etc that might help us through the exam....

Did anyone do the workshops that were on in Pearse Street? Are they worth getting?

Six and a half weeks and they'll be all over:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I have no tips yet but Financial accounting this year is a pain in the ar$e!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mad_shopaholic

Follow exactly what topics are cover in the workshops as these nearly always tend to come up. For example the manufacturing account came up last year and had been covered in the workshops

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

My tip if anyone next year finds this thread is go to college every week and don't leave everything until the last minute! Business Management & Law just has soooo much content :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rcoffey

i have no tips unfortunately, im doing year 2 exams in may also stressed!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I got through it no probs a long time ago, and we were just given past exam papers to do the whole time. Never really used the books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fungums

Hey I'm in first year. Will hopefully be okay for tax, accounting and management but don't even know where to start with the law and ethics :(

One thing I will say about the management if you want to try and break it down is:
    There is usually two questions on marketing, two on management, one on IT and one one finance (the compulsory question could be on anything!!!!!)

As you have a choice on answering 3 out of 6 questions my plan is to know the four marketing chapters and the two finance chapters inside and out which should give me 3 ''good'' questions. Also pestle seems to be asked every year

If anyone has any idea on how to approach law and ethics I'd be very grateful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Fungums wrote: »
    Hey I'm in first year. Will hopefully be okay for tax, accounting and management but don't even know where to start with the law and ethics :(

One thing I will say about the management if you want to try and break it down is:
    There is usually two questions on marketing, two on management, one on IT and one one finance (the compulsory question could be on anything!!!!!)

As you have a choice on answering 3 out of 6 questions my plan is to know the four marketing chapters and the two finance chapters inside and out which should give me 3 ''good'' questions. Also pestle seems to be asked every year

If anyone has any idea on how to approach law and ethics I'd be very grateful :)

In first yr aswell, missed pretty much all of feb and march due to a family crisis so the only advice I can give is studying the past exam papers for L&E. A lot of the case law examples arent in the book but some are. I'm memorising the answers they give to the different areas. The answers are pretty transferrable to what ever they can ask next week. Jaysus..... NEXT WEEK!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

First exam in 2 days and I'm really struggling with study :(

First exam in 2 days and I'm really struggling with study :(

Are you doing first or second year? I take it it's first as I have my first exam on Tuesday? If its any consolation I can't find enough hours in the day for the amount of study I need to be comfortable. Is it finding the time or a particular area you're struggling with?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ChartAccount

Hi did anyone get any tips for second year ATI exams.

What are peoples thoughts on the FA paper tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

wilddarts wrote: »
    Are you doing first or second year? I take it it's first as I have my first exam on Tuesday? If its any consolation I can't find enough hours in the day for the amount of study I need to be comfortable. Is it finding the time or a particular area you're struggling with?

Ya year 1,finding it hard to sit down and motivate myself to study,struggling with tax and FA and And the amount of stuff to memorise for BM and law is just too much.

Business Management is crazy! There's so many names and theories and they're all just blending into one in my head :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Hi did anyone get any tips for second year ATI exams.
    What are peoples thoughts on the FA paper tomorrow?
    I'm hoping that the theory comes up in in Q1 only otherwise I'm f****d. Also it would be nice if half of the Q1 is to define something easy like an asset or liability that I can score at least some marks in Q1. I'm quite ok with the financial statements, so don't mind any of those coming up, can do some journal entries, calculate few ratios and maybe do something with partnerships... I loved FA last year but I absolutely despise it this year.

Business Management is crazy! There's so many names and theories and they're all just blending into one in my head :(

Have you seen the suggested solutions for BM past papers?, you'd need three days for the exam if you went into that much detail.

I've been spending a lot of time on FA and Tax so I'm just hoping I can scrape a pass in BM and Law. I can understand it all as I'm studying it but just won't stay in my head.:confused:

Have you seen the suggested solutions for BM past papers?, you'd need three days for the exam if you went into that much detail.

I've been spending a lot of time on FA and Tax so I'm just hoping I can scrape a pass in BM and Law. I can understand it all as I'm studying it but just won't stay in my head.:confused:

I'm the same, I feel ok about tomorrow's but BM waffle theories just won't stick in my head - the day after I learn anything it's gone again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Emma1980

How did anyone doin FA2 find the paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 norabatty74

Emma1980 wrote: »
    How did anyone doin FA2 find the paper?
    It was a very red herring paper Things came up in a lay out i never saw before the partnership short questions would not work out for me the cash flow was very vague to what i was used too ,

I got the cashflow to work but whether that was just coincidence or not is anyones guess! question 4 on inventory I didnt do...never saw a layout like it so didnt risk doing it! and the partnership in the mcq was a fair bit of work for the marks it was worth...!! Was happy wit question 1 as I was dreading that beforehand but it defo could have been worse!! Overall I think it was ok...fingers crossed anyway!

Financial Accounting was a funny paper - very new way of asking questions, and so much theory!! I still did ok because it's my best subject but definitely threw me

Financial Accounting was a funny paper - very new way of asking questions, and so much theory!! I still did ok because it's my best subject but definitely threw me

Yeah, same here. Different to any of the past papers Ive been practicing. Was ok once I got into it, thought I was in the wrong exam when I looked at it first. Think I did ok anyway. BM on thursday will be a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭~Trixiebelle~

Yeah, same here. Different to any of the past papers Ive been practicing. Was ok once I got into it, thought I was in the wrong exam when I looked at it first. Think I did ok anyway. BM on thursday will be a disaster.

Totally hated today's paper! It totally threw me to be honest and I got caught on time with all the theory! Soooo much theory!! I felt like I hardly used my calculator! I'm raging for doing question 4, I think I got that badly wrong. Here's hoping that's the curve ball paper for the year, and no more surprises! 😂

Totally hated today's paper! I'm raging

Me too, was not prepared for the theory and was hoping a books of prime entry type question would come up but it didn't.

Me too, was not prepared for the theory and was hoping a books of prime entry type question would come up but it didn't.

I know or even a club account!! For financial accounting it seemed very unbalanced in my opinion, great for those that don't know the difference between a credit and debit though!! Pity I spent so much time perfecting that and less in theory! :(

I know or even a club account!! For financial accounting it seemed very unbalanced in my opinion, great for those that don't know the difference between a credit and debit though!! Pity I spent so much time perfecting that and less in theory! :(

There actually was a clubs account Q, mind you it was a small one and only worth 5 marks. Think I messed it up big time :-/.

Totally hated today's paper! It totally threw me to be honest and I got caught on time with all the theory! Soooo much theory!! I felt like I hardly used my calculator! I'm raging for doing question 4, I think I got that badly wrong. Here's hoping that's the curve ball paper for the year, and no more surprises! 😂

I feel the exact same about question 4, did 4 and 6 in section B. The format of the questions were nothing like I saw in the past papers, the more I think about it the less confident I feel....

Yeah, was hoping for that kind of question aswell, no depreciation question either, or disposal of assets. 'Strange' is the only word to describe that paper.

I feel the exact same about question 4, did 4 and 6 in section B. The format of the questions were nothing like I saw in the past papers, the more I think about it the less confident I feel....

Yeah, was hoping for that kind of question aswell, no depreciation question either, or disposal of assets. 'Strange' is the only word to describe that paper.

There was no depreciation adjustment in question 1 either Just the theory bit in Q 2 Or 3 I think.

There actually was a clubs account Q, mind you it was a small one and only worth 5 marks. Think I messed it up big time :-/.

Yeh the life subscriptions journal entry! I've only ever done that in a t account so it was literally a stab in the dark! I'm feeling pretty hard done by at the minute coz I got over 90% in my mocks but I'm facing a very possible fail in the real deal! :( I had such high hopes for today too...Ah well 1 down, 3 to go!! 😊

Hey actually guys, was that mini bank rec meant to balance? Coz it didn't for me! Gosh, I best cancel my summer holidays in August at this rate! :D

Hey actually guys, was that mini bank rec meant to balance? Coz it didn't for me! Gosh, I best cancel my summer holidays in August at this rate! :D

Haha, I haven't got a foookin clue if it was to balance or not, never saw it asked like that before so it's very hard to judge if you went about the question in the right way. If i could get my hands on their ''inexperienced bookkeeper'' I would wring his neck.

• Advertisement

Just glanced at the FA1 paper as it's uploaded now (i'm on year 2) and good god, there was an awful lot in it!! Never seen so much theory ever!! Very unlike last years paper that i done!

Advertisement