Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting out land for small holders

Options
  • 02-04-2014 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

hi guys, was reading a thread earlier where sombody posted a link to this website http://www.greenshifters.co.uk , i noticed a lot of the english are looking to rent small holdings in the wanted section, when browsing i came across a couple of adds who just wanted a few acres and some where they could put a caravan or a yurt. now i have 100 acres but would love to be self sufficient but wouldn't know where to start, but was wondering would it be a good idea to rent a small piece of land to a small holder to live on, and what sort of rent should i expect for maybe 5 - 10 acres and they were to put a caravan on it

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

I reckon about €200 per annum an acre for 5 acres thats €20 a week, I think you'd need to speak to a solicitor first you wouldn't know what mess you could be getting into.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭bigtomw

colrow wrote: »
    I reckon about €200 per annum an acre for 5 acres thats €20 a week, I think you'd need to speak to a solicitor first you wouldn't know what mess you could be getting into.

yes i would obviously have to go through the proper channels, i thought would be a bit more as there seem to be a lot of people wanting to change their way of living, it probably wouldn't be worth doing for them returns, thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

€200 per acre per year. So would you think that would be about what I should offer a farmer to be able to use a couple of acres for my horse? Would it make a difference to the price if a horse was on it? I know some people dont like horses grazing the land, maybe because they generally only eat the good stuff and leave the weeds!

just wondering if any of you think it would be worth my while say buying a mobile home and putting it on a site where there use to be an old stone cottage and getting electric hooked up and then renting it out with 5 to ten acres to a wannabe small holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

I think thats a better way to go, you'd get a better return with a house/accomodation, i haven't a clue really, but I reckon that would be worth 5k pa or 100 pw

• Advertisement

colrow wrote: »
    I think thats a better way to go, you'd get a better return with a house/accomodation, i haven't a clue really, but I reckon that would be worth 5k pa or 100 pw

thanks colroy that's what i was thinking obviously there would be some investment at the start but i think it should pay for itself in the first 1 - 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Do be careful in terms of planning- in Kildare you have to get planning permission to place a caravan/mobile home on a site with the intention to permanently inhabit it. Check locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

Would you be willing to sell a couple of acres? I'm looking for somewhere to build my dream log cabin and raise goats/vegetables :-D

Would you be willing to sell a couple of acres? I'm looking for somewhere to build my dream log cabin and raise goats/vegetables :-D

Hi recondite , sorry I wouldn't sell, I would just like to lease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

bigtomw wrote: »
    Hi recondite , sorry I wouldn't sell, I would just like to lease

I understand, you're very lucky, hope it all works out for you. When I think of all the food you could farm... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 conorRic

Hi bigtom, where abouts in the country are you?

conorRic wrote: »
    Hi bigtom, where abouts in the country are you?

I'm on the cork limerick border

• Registered Users Posts: 5 conorRic

ah no problem, thanks anyway tom, im in louth if anybody knows of land to rent, just an acre or three, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Looking for the same in Kildare

Advertisement