Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu 14.04

Options
  • 02-04-2014 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Its been a while since I have used Ubuntu .So with idle hands I installed the beta over the

weekend .Very impressed ,will be my main distro for a while .

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Tell me more. I'm on 12.04. Considering the upgrade if it's decent, though probably in a few weeks once the upgrade issues have been ironed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Khannie wrote: »
    Tell me more. I'm on 12.04. Considering the upgrade if it's decent, though probably in a few weeks once the upgrade issues have been ironed out.

Very stable ,best I have used for a long time . This would be a perfect distro for all those XP

users . Everything worked right off .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

rebeve wrote: »
    Very stable ,best I have used for a long time . This would be a perfect distro for all those XP

users . Everything worked right off .

What spec hardware are you running it on? XP machines might be a bit old generally to handle the Unity desktop. I'm looking forward to checking out stable releases of Xubuntu and Lubuntu, but will definitely give the main Ubuntu release a look too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

where do people stand on unity now?

I believe in 14.4 it 'improves' it, and at least puts things like Menu bars where one might expect them (inside the window) rather than external to it.

I dropped unity a while back for cinnamon. Cinnamon (for me) just appeared to not get in the way albeit it was a bit more 'dated'.

I just happened to see a big legal notice last night in 13.10 (about computer section) about unity presumably after the whole 'throw your desktop search out to selected web services in order to be helpful' debacle. Not sure have they improved on the perceived stealth nature of this in 14.04? I know you can turn the 'feature' off, but perhaps in 14.04 it lets you know what it is up to and asks if you'd like said feature or not. That would be an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    where do people stand on unity now?

I believe in 14.4 it 'improves' it, and at least puts things like Menu bars where one might expect them (inside the window) rather than external to it.

I dropped unity a while back for cinnamon. Cinnamon (for me) just appeared to not get in the way albeit it was a bit more 'dated'.

I just happened to see a big legal notice last night in 13.10 (about computer section) about unity presumably after the whole 'throw your desktop search out to selected web services in order to be helpful' debacle. Not sure have they improved on the perceived stealth nature of this in 14.04? I know you can turn the 'feature' off, but perhaps in 14.04 it lets you know what it is up to and asks if you'd like said feature or not. That would be an improvement.

I personally have always liked Unity. I saw this screenshot of supposedly what Windows 9 will be like, and it should look strangely familiar to Unity users...

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Windows-9-Desktop-Concept-Looks-Suspiciously-Like-a-Linux-One-398582-2.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I personally have always liked Unity. I saw this screenshot of supposedly what Windows 9 will be like, and it should look strangely familiar to Unity users...

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Windows-9-Desktop-Concept-Looks-Suspiciously-Like-a-Linux-One-398582-2.png
    Microsoft Condifential? :pac:

It's not a screenshot, it's concept art up by a DeviantArt user, no connection to MS

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    What spec hardware are you running it on? XP machines might be a bit old generally to handle the Unity desktop. I'm looking forward to checking out stable releases of Xubuntu and Lubuntu, but will definitely give the main Ubuntu release a look too.

Third generation i5 with 8 gigs of ram and a ati radeon card .I dabbled with xubuntu as well

and found that brilliant also . I have used cinnamon for the last while ,so the new unity had to

be good to tempt me to move .But move I did and very happy with the move ,I always

had to do a lot of tweaking to get decent battery life .But 14.04 was excellent out of the

box .

Advertisement