Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Canada solo?

Options
  • 02-04-2014 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Just for an idea of how many people on the IEC Visa's are going it on there own! Also where is everyone planning to move to? Think I'm looking at Vancouver this year

Anyone heading Canada this year solo 53 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    71% 38 votes
    I know someone over there
    11% 6 votes
    Going alone but looking to find fellow visa people
    16% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

YOLO! :pac:
    SOLO! 1 please. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

As i said in the IEC thread i'm hoping to go to Banff to get work in the mountain resorts for winter season! I'm going alone but i'm sure it'll be easy enough to meet people in that type of environment! I'll probably head to Vancouver then for summer as i have friends there.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭IrishTeddi

Vancouver here! Going it alone, but I'm not adverse to teaming up with a fellow IEC'er! To be honest, the place with a higher chance of me getting a design job will be the main deciding element!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Toronto-bound in September, solo!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

Toronto-bound in September, solo!

Likewise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 MurfM3

Girlfriend and I hopin to hit Toronto mid July

Quick Q..
    Who are you guys booking flights with? There €496 each one way, today!

MurfM3 wrote: »
    Girlfriend and I hopin to hit Toronto mid July

Quick Q..
    Who are you guys booking flights with? There €496 each one way, today!

I saw flights on skyscanner.ie for €463 return if you leave in Oct!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Shellieh

hey guys. Im doing a solo too if the visa comes through. thinking fort mc murray, victoria or toronto. would b great to get to know a few before hand

• Registered Users Posts: 36 seany1994

Heading to Edmonton to start off and then onto Fort Mcmurray for the big bucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ravingitup

Whistler-bound, solo! :pac: Overall, I think I'm more much likely to get out of my comfort zone this way!

• Advertisement

Is anyone going over working in construction? mainly Alberta?

IrishTeddi wrote: »
    Vancouver here! Going it alone, but I'm not adverse to teaming up with a fellow IEC'er! To be honest, the place with a higher chance of me getting a design job will be the main deciding element!

I'd be hoping to get design work myself! What area of design do you work in? I look online at the vancouver jobs boards and there seems to be a good bit of web or UX/UI designers

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Emzer92

I'm going to Vancouver for the summer, if all goes well with the visa! I'm thinking early June to mid August (I've to come back for college).

It'd be great to meet some IEC people beforehand or out there!

seany1994 wrote: »
    Heading to Edmonton to start off and then onto Fort Mcmurray for the big bucks!

Seany1994.... when u thinking of heading out that way??? u going over wit a trade behind u??

Shellieh .. Planning on heading out in 1 week of September . I've no trade just lots of experience on sites ... yourself?

Shellieh .. Planning on heading out in 1 week of September . I've no trade just lots of experience on sites ... yourself?

Seany

I had thought of going out as soon as i get the visa (fingers crossed) but i have heard that it is a slow time of the year between June and Sept for jobs so undeided. I have worked in contruction and DIY sales for over ten years so hopefully that will stand to me if not bar/waitress (thinking off the tips)

Shellieh wrote: »
    Seany

I had thought of going out as soon as i get the visa (fingers crossed) but i have heard that it is a slow time of the year between June and Sept for jobs so undeided. I have worked in contruction and DIY sales for over ten years so hopefully that will stand to me if not bar/waitress (thinking off the tips)

What stage are you at with the visa ? I got my POE in the 1st round so im just saving now .You have no problem getting a job .There looking for everyone .I read somewhere that they will have a labour shortage for the next few years .Average wages for a labourer are $25 a hour .I prefer to go in september due to the fact the city will be full of tourists for the summer and alot of people doing just summer work . So the chances will be better in the fall .

What stage are you at with the visa ? I got my POE in the 1st round so im just saving now .You have no problem getting a job .There looking for everyone .I read somewhere that they will have a labour shortage for the next few years .Average wages for a labourer are $25 a hour .I prefer to go in september due to the fact the city will be full of tourists for the summer and alot of people doing just summer work . So the chances will be better in the fall .

I missed out on the first round was gutted. I am just on stage one awaiting CLA. I paid and uploaded details on Thursday so hopefully hear this week coming. I ave saved wat i need already so after that its a bonus. I had a mate that was due to apply wit me but he forgot (hello)

My mate worked in Fort Mc Murray a few years bac he was there 6 months and saved $40K

I missed out on the first round was gutted. I am just on stage one awaiting CLA. I paid and uploaded details on Thursday so hopefully hear this week coming. I ave saved wat i need already so after that its a bonus. I had a mate that was due to apply wit me but he forgot (hello)

My mate worked in Fort Mc Murray a few years bac he was there 6 months and saved $40K

once you get the CAL , its all plain sailing from there .

Fort Mcmurray is the place to be for the big money .I was emailing a recruiter in Canada about wages and work in fort mcmurray .Fellas working from April to November and coming out with 90K

once you get the CAL , its all plain sailing from there .

Fort Mcmurray is the place to be for the big money .I was emailing a recruiter in Canada about wages and work in fort mcmurray .Fellas working from April to November and coming out with 90K

ya its one of the top earing cities and in the top ten places to live. but is soooo cold there and very money orintated... still thinking mayb toronto to start undecided though... looks like alot of people r doing solos...

• Advertisement

ya its one of the top earing cities and in the top ten places to live. but is soooo cold there and very money orintated... still thinking mayb toronto to start undecided though... looks like alot of people r doing solos...

winters are crazy out there but its easy to get about though compared to back home where the whole country is in shutdown after 1 cm of snow haha ..yeah alot of people are going to Toronto or Vancouver ,There very expensive cities and the job market is very competitive .

As for me im heading to Edmonton 1st and start from there .If you make the discion to head to Edmonton in sept , we can go over together just a thought

winters are crazy out there but its easy to get about though compared to back home where the whole country is in shutdown after 1 cm of snow haha ..yeah alot of people are going to Toronto or Vancouver ,There very expensive cities and the job market is very competitive .

As for me im heading to Edmonton 1st and start from there .If you make the discion to head to Edmonton in sept , we can go over together just a thought

i honestly just wanna get outta this place asap... everyone my age r either gone already, married wit kids...its a balls... as for work in this country its a joke. ... from wat i gather from my mate that was out there get in early as in it will take bout two weeks to get all the paper work u need in place SIN, apply for licence and find a place to live so if it was gonna b start work in Sept then get there two weeks before ... Its def a thougt though where u based??

i honestly just wanna get outta this place asap... everyone my age r either gone already, married wit kids...its a balls... as for work in this country its a joke. ... from wat i gather from my mate that was out there get in early as in it will take bout two weeks to get all the paper work u need in place SIN, apply for licence and find a place to live so if it was gonna b start work in Sept then get there two weeks before ... Its def a thougt though where u based??

i would be gone now only that i don't have enough money to go ..I agree with you about this country , i try to get a welding course in fas a couple of months ago and i was not allow due to the fact i was not on jobseekers long enough :mad: yeah i research that plus most companies will put you through the csts course themselves . im based in limerick .. you?

i would be gone now only that i don't have enough money to go ..I agree with you about this country , i try to get a welding course in fas a couple of months ago and i was not allow due to the fact i was not on jobseekers long enough :mad: yeah i research that plus most companies will put you through the csts course themselves . im based in limerick .. you?

I can access the private msg as i dont have enoug posts up yet. its a pure joke. I applied for a job two weeks ago and they told me i didnt have enough experience it was a check out job and i have had ran places with 3million plus turn over.... im im mayo....

when i read the thing bout it bn quite from june to aug i re tought my travel time

I can access the private msg as i dont have enoug posts up yet. its a pure joke. I applied for a job two weeks ago and they told me i didnt have enough experience it was a check out job and i have had ran places with 3million plus turn over.... im im mayo....

when i read the thing bout it bn quite from june to aug i re tought my travel time

Just a address to my FB . Its all who you know now in this country ... what part of mayo??

Just a address to my FB . Its all who you know now in this country ... what part of mayo??

oh sound.. hopefully when i have enough posts it wil show up.. im from castlebar. u from limerick its self r outside?? just on a FB page there and people who paid on Wed for second round got there CAL last nite... i paid thursday

oh sound.. hopefully when i have enough posts it wil show up.. im from castlebar. u from limerick its self r outside?? just on a FB page there and people who paid on Wed for second round got there CAL last nite... i paid thursday

I run the FB page "IRISH IEC 2014" .I live in west limerick more near to kerry side . I lived with a fella from belmullet last year. His father owns a company called CIET up there . I got mine after about 10 days

I run the FB page "IRISH IEC 2014" .I live in west limerick more near to kerry side . I lived with a fella from belmullet last year. His father owns a company called CIET up there . I got mine after about 10 days

Il ave a nose at that now:D oh ya i no off the company. Belmullet is booming if ur lucky to get work on the pipeline. i no a lad that is employed just to paint the pipes 24/7/365... takes home bout 800 a week .

Il ave a nose at that now:D oh ya i no off the company. Belmullet is booming if ur lucky to get work on the pipeline. i no a lad that is employed just to paint the pipes 24/7/365... takes home bout 800 a week .

thanks :) yeah my housemate used tell me about how shell are pumping millions in the area in like schools and roads etc ..

• Advertisement

thanks :) yeah my housemate used tell me about how shell are pumping millions in the area in like schools and roads etc ..

i worked for roadstone and i knew a hacker that was offered a contact for 10 years wit shell. all he had to do was invest in equipment rubbertracked, tippers etc. but was so pig headed bout shell coming in he didnt. it was worth bout 2mil a year to him. its like 60 miles from me on seriously bad roads, b good craic on the twin cams though:):):)

Advertisement