Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simulation/Government/God/Finance/Construction Games

Options
  • 01-04-2014 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

So, I'm looking for some games of the above mix/genre as in title.

I've played (and utterly enjoyed) all of Tropico, Age of Empires (to an extent),The Guild and SimCity.
    I've played (and was bored by) Sid Meyer's Civilization, Total War (any), Europa Universalis and Age of Empires Online.

Basically I love games involving the management of a craft/profession/community and using the correct management to make money to in turn become better at what I was doing originally. Tropico and SimCity really were the best of what I've played so far. I also enjoyed Age of Empires but felt a bit constrained in later expansions by the rush of the opposition to annihilate me while I was busy exercising my OCD on carefully-constructed identical houses :o

I also enjoyed Rollercoaster and Zoo Tycoon (the originals).

Currently trying Banished on Steam, and while it is good fun, I feel there is just too little to be at, and once you have it figured out, there's not much to it.

Any other games like this that I might be missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

The Settlers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Falthyron wrote: »
    The Settlers! :D

I know I've heard of this, just not sure if I got round to playing it!

(finishing college and on house arrest until baby is born in July, keep 'em coming :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

I've played (and was bored by) Sid Meyer's Civilization

:(

Wossack wrote: »
    :(

Deeply saddened my partner as well. It just wasn't graphically-challenging enough for me tbh. I'd rather something with more to look at, if that makes sense!

civ V? thought it was as pretty as you can make em tbh!

• Advertisement

civ V? thought it was as pretty as you can make em tbh!

If it were made like AoE, I would be sold. The airplane view and controls just bug me. I like trading, and don't mind the construction of armies and having treaties etc, but I couldn't visually see enough of what I was in control of.

aye, I getcha

tropico is probably your best bet of late - you have it, but expansions could be worth a look?

might a ask trying to get into dwarf fortress, but gnomoria is similar - same with 'Towns' afaik

heard good things about some of the anno series too

aye, I getcha

tropico is probably your best bet of late - you have it, but expansions could be worth a look?

might a ask trying to get into dwarf fortress, but gnomoria is similar - same with 'Towns' afaik

heard good things about some of the anno series too

The whole lot of them on Steam (tropico). Still go back to them regularly, but I've gotten so good at it now that a sandbox game is pointless, even with all the difficulty settings turned up. I more play it now for the music and voice actors :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

So you want real time and not turn based?

Anno 2070 might be a good fit. I've not played it myself, but I'm told it's got a nice sharp learning curve that should be challenging but far from impossible for someone who's played quite a bit of that sort of game.

Shiminay wrote: »
    So you want real time and not turn based?

Anno 2070 might be a good fit. I've not played it myself, but I'm told it's got a nice sharp learning curve that should be challenging but far from impossible for someone who's played quite a bit of that sort of game.

Exactly. Pregnancy brain has me fighting for the words, but yeah, the turn-based thing puts me off.

That looks like exactly what I might like to try next!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Tropico 5 should out Juneish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It's taking all my will power not to slip the word "Goat" into the thread title. :)

Tropico 5 should out Juneish :D

Dont tell me things like that, Im hoping to keep this child alive :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

EVE, about as hardcore as you can get in terms of Economics. You'll have to sell the baby though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I recently started playing banished, its addictive but not sure how long it will last before the boredom sets in.

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    I recently started playing banished, its addictive but not sure how long it will last before the boredom sets in.

About 4 hours :(

It's such a great concept, and I was really battling with keeping everyone alive and warm, but once I got it it became pretty easy to move up from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I love Civilization V. It's a pretty accessible game really. Very much so in comparison to Europa Universalis IV which I really don't see myself going back to. How is Settlers? More Civ or EU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Crusader Kings 2 if you like a medieval setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I love Civilization V. It's a pretty accessible game really. Very much so in comparison to Europa Universalis IV which I really don't see myself going back to. How is Settlers? More Civ or EU?

Neither. It's a simulation game as opposed to an empire builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Black & White 2 is pretty good in my opinion. Not so much about money but there's definitely resource management and it can be pretty tricky at times. There's lots of videos out there but I might as well make a plug about my own. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1jhxye_gaming-compilation_videogames At the 1 minute mark there's some B&W2 gameplay but not really showing off everything you can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Theme Hospital is always a good laugh and fun to play, even if it is yonks old at this stage.

Cravez wrote: »
    Theme Hospital is always a good laugh and fun to play, even if it is yonks old at this stage.

I've had some problems getting it to work on Windows 8, that's the only thing.

And I much preferred the first B&W to the second one! :o

There's an third party application for Theme Hospital that improves the textures etc and I think it makes it more compatible with later Windows versions. I can't remember the name of it but If I find it ill let you know.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's called CorsixTH and it works pretty well. You'll need the original for this to work, but GOG have it.

"Patients are asked not to die in the corridors." :D

Shiminay wrote: »
    It's called CorsixTH and it works pretty well. You'll need the original for this to work, but GOG have it.

"Patients are asked not to die in the corridors." :D

That's the one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Rise Of Nations, Anno 1440, Stronghold 2, Empire Earth 2, Cossacks 2, Outpost 2.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,324 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I've played (and was bored by) Sid Meyer's Civilization, Total War (any), Europa Universalis and Age of Empires Online.

were you bored by all the above or only Civ?

From Dust and Reus might be your thing or King Arthur 1&2: The role playing Game

Mount & Blade Warband is a fantastic game. Incorporates tons of game styles such as Strategy, Diplomacy, Trading, Third/Person Combat, Siege Combat, Macro Management etc. Some of them very in-depth.

Pillage villages, elope with a kings wife, Siege castles, betray your allegiance and form your own kingdom? You can do tons of stuff in M&B Warband and you can create a female character which has it's own achievements during the playthrough.

There's mods for the game too but the most complete and best I'v found is the Floris Mod Pack.

Also it's not neccessarily like one game, even if you didn't like Total War you might really enjoy this. It's not a point/click and drag type of game. In battle you have free roam of your character and give your troops orders, with after a little practice is accomplished in less than 3 key strokes max.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Rise Of Nations, Anno 1440, Stronghold 2, Empire Earth 2, Cossacks 2, Outpost 2.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Rise of Nations, there's one game I REALLY want a sequel/remake to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Iv'e a few good suggestions but they're quite old and may need a bit of tracking down..but they're worth it.

Dungeon Keeper is pretty much Sim City mixed with Age of Empires and set in an underground cavern. You mine out rock, layout rooms, attract creatures to work in it and eventually fight off the heroes of the land. You have to basically create an ecosystem as many creatures will be at odds with each other and start fighting and others need to be molly-coddled and appeased.

Airport Inc. Does what it says on the tin. Design and build an airport, try to attract airlines, constantly upgrade your business and try to offset maintenance costs against runway quality/bomb scares, or charges against quality, things like that.

Pharaoh. Imagine Sim City set on the ancient Nile. design the city layout, make sure you have police and firefighters nearby, grow crops in the spring, make sure the bazaar is always well stocked for winter (it's surprisingly easy to let half your city starve!) make sure you have clean water or else you'll get a cholera outbreak, host cultural events to keep people happy, or go to war, great craic.

Advertisement