Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FERTILISED EGGS ??

Options
  • 01-04-2014 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Morning All,
    We have 5 hens, 4 ducks, and 1 rooster !!!all very well treated
    And at the moment, all great layers
    My question relates to the hen eggs Only lately, when I am frying a hen egg, it is steaky red when opened uuuuugggg. I thought it was the egg had been fertilised and was going on to the next stage. So I started keeping them in the fridge, as eggs need heat to make baby chicks
    Even though we have 5 hens, the eggs have a short shelf life as we are constantly giving them away.
    Same story this morning. uuuugggg
    We have had roosters before, and never had this problem. The only thing I can think of is that the rooster is the same breed as a hen we got last Autumn and she is now laying ???
    Ye are probably laughing your heads at this query.
    My daughter is not a great grubber but does eat the eggs, and if she saw this, that would be eggs off the menu for ever more.
    Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. confused.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

nothing yukky to worry about!
    These are "Meat Spots" or "Blood Spots" - nothing to do with fertilized eggs.
    They are either a bit of blood that broke off from a blood vessel when the egg was being formed, or a bit of a bit of tissue that broke off (meat spot) when the egg was in formation
    Can occur when a young hen is starting to lay, or with older hens...

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Ah Aonb,
    That is brilliant. Me nor the OH had come accross this before.
    Cock a doodle doo......
    Tks a million.

Advertisement