Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite "chooooone" link to music forum in op

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

None of these artists are even my favourites, but I just love how they rose to these big occasions:

Prince's guitar solo at the George Harrison tribute concert.

Bowie and Annie Lennox at the Freddie tribute concert.

Beyonce at Obama's inauguration ball.

Whitney Houston's Star Spangled Banner. A lot of that is the amazing arrangement specifically for the occasion.

I'm more of a Radiohead and The National kind of person but the above I think could be recognised universally as standout performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ahwell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

House of Pain - Jump Around

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XhzpxjuwZy0

Leikeli47 - F**k The Summer Up

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0I5TC74zQCg

AZEALIA BANKS - 212 FT. LAZY JAY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Jv9fNPjgk

• Advertisement

Fatboy Slim - Funk Soul Brother

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SBClImpnfAg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Jam & Spoon feat. Plavka - Right In The Night (1993)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

James Brown & The Famous Flames
    The legendary TAMI show

Black and white film but still the greatest of all time.
    Keith Richards later said that the Rolling Stones walking on to the stage afterwards was the biggest mistake of their entire career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

Elton John in his back garden recently; 'I'm Still Standing', superb!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Maybe not the greatest but blistering intensity. And Stephen Morris's drumming!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

J.S. Bachs 'Schweigt stille, plaudert nicht.' in the Cafe Zimmermann in the year 1735. Amusingly it's about an addiction to coffee. A rarity from J.S. who is not famed for his opera work but just goes to show how he could turn his hand to any genre.

I guess you had to be there.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Only seen videos and I know a few people who were at it....Springsteen at Slane in '85 was a brilliant gig.
    Apparently it's his favourite concert too, which is high praise

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think there is a legitimate case for this being the greatest musical performance of all time.

if you're irish and have no interest in music possibly, I love luke kelly but pink floyd on a bad day would annihilate him.

OldGoat wrote: »
    J.S. Bachs 'Schweigt stille, plaudert nicht.' in the Cafe Zimmermann in the year 1735. Amusingly it's about an addiction to coffee. A rarity from J.S. who is not famed for his opera work but just goes to show how he could turn his hand to any genre.

I guess you had to be there.

I've only seen the odd video of the above, but I'm told - from people who were there - that it was indeed some recital. Baroque 'n' Roll at its very best, up there with Boyzone's, now legendary, first appearance on The Late Late Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

None of these artists are even my favourites, but I just love how they rose to these big occasions:

Prince's guitar solo at the George Harrison tribute concert.

It was at Harrison's posthumous induction to the Rock'n'Roll hall of fame, but it is epic. Starts at about 3:20, I love at the end he just fcuks his guitar into the sky and struts off...

Apparently, he was pissed off at some article that the rock 'n' roll hall of fame put out on 50 best guitarists, and he wasn't even listed. He showed up, no rehearsal, says "i'll show them", and rips it up. You can see it in the other band members faces as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

..., up there with Boyzone's, now legendary, first appearance on The Late Late Show.
    Rumor has it that Mozart was only a heartbeat away from joining Boyzone. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Elton John in his back garden recently; 'I'm Still Standing', superb!
    I wasn’t aware of that one, checked it out a minute ago ... I can only conclude you’re having a laugh, which people will only get if they’ve seen the performance in question. The miming at the piano was bad enough, and that was befor he started “singing”. :eek:

My ideas of a great performance would be something like this: it’s only going to be up for a couple more days, so I’d jump on that.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭scoobydude

Hendrix at woodstock for me. Pure gold from start to finish.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Rumor has it that Mozart was only a heartbeat away from joining Boyzone. :)

I fear you might be confusing Wolfgang with Dickie Rock's son Richard...
    you wouldn't be the first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Portishead in NYC one of my favourites. Something epic about combining a rock band with a full orchestra.

https://youtu.be/CZ_Z0Zfvsj0

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I think there is a legitimate case for this being the greatest musical performance of all time.
    You need to change your bait fella, you won't reel in too many with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Steyr 556 wrote: »

One of the greatest bands of the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Prodigy - Girls (2004)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

And they thought the corona virus was highly infectious....

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just heard that Kraftwerk co-founder Florian Schneider has died. Their breakthrough track Autobahn is an absolute classic, and here's a very good version from last year:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

bnt wrote: »
    Just heard that Kraftwerk co-founder Florian Schneider has died. Their breakthrough track Autobahn is an absolute classic, and here's a very good version from last year:

I was saddened to hear the news of Florian's death. Kraftwerk are one of the most important groups in music history. Your teenage years are always formative, and I can rationalise my decision to make my life in Germany down to three things - an excellent German teacher, a documentary I watched on life in East Berlin during the 70's, and the music of Kraftwerk.

Trans Europa Express will always be in my Top 5 albums if I'm asked that most banal of questions. The transition between Metal on Metal and Abzug is beautiful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement