Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Irish HL?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

Kelly090 wrote: »
    Your so good at Irish, thats so helpful! Thanks so much :)

No problem! If you need any more help PM me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When I did HL Irish a million years ago, our teacher used to always stress to us not to try say exactly what it is you would say in English.

You could spend forever trying to say something like 'I advertised the concert all over the area', when you could much more easily say 'I put up posters about the concert'.

Her number one rule was 'If you can't say it, don't say it'. Short correct sentences are better than flowery constructions riddled with errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MysticManiac

I'm in an irish speaking school and the majority of my classmates opt for the Scéal/Eachtra, or the aiste. I don't think any1 attempts the diospóireacht. I don't know how many A's my class got but I got 84% and went for the scéal and it's usually easier because you use the past tense

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hf98kk

I really want to get an A but I dont really know how to improve my irish between now and the exam. any tips anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

hf98kk wrote: »
    I really want to get an A but I dont really know how to improve my irish between now and the exam. any tips anyone?

Where did you lose marks in your mock?

• Advertisement

mainly in paper 1. I got 74% there. I need to improve my scéal and the comprehensions. I think I lost marks for my story not being all that obviously relevant to the title that was given. Exactly how close to the title should the story be do you think? and can you lose marks for making your answers too long in the comprehensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

mainly in paper 1. I got 74% there. I need to improve my scéal and the comprehensions. I think I lost marks for my story not being all that obviously relevant to the title that was given. Exactly how close to the title should the story be do you think? and can you lose marks for making your answers too long in the comprehensions?
    I dont think you can lose marks but it could affect the amount of time u have for something else like sceal and therefore losing marks there .It depends on the story title imo like if it was something like an event that happened during the summer its fairly flexibe but if it was something like they give the beginning of the story and you take it really off topic (ur friend texts you telling you they have big news and then suddenly theres a fire.in your house)then it might be considered a bit off topic

Once you mention the event I think you're good! Try write out an A standard story and just learn it off! And yeah you can lose marks for that in the Comprehensions but not many I don't think!

thanks. and for the reading comprehensions how important is it that you put the answers into your own words and not just copy it from the text?

thanks. and for the reading comprehensions how important is it that you put the answers into your own words and not just copy it from the text?

Not very tbh a correct answer from the text is better than an answer in your own words that's poor Irish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭vcshqkf9rpzgoe

Anyone have any sample sceal/eachtra?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anyone have any sample sceal/eachtra?

Hmm, first English, now Irish. Do your own work and don't post this sort of request again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭vcshqkf9rpzgoe

spurious wrote: »
    Hmm, first English, now Irish. Do your own work and don't post this sort of request again.

Jaysus you have to ruin everything don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 laurap123

Would it be a wise move to learn an Aiste about the World Cup in Brazil? I could potientially waffle for a page and half but would there be a good chance of it appearing on the paper? I was looking back at previous papers and noticed this came up in 2010 for the World Cup in South Africa.

laurap123 wrote: »
    Would it be a wise move to learn an Aiste about the World Cup in Brazil? I could potientially waffle for a page and half but would there be a good chance of it appearing on the paper? I was looking back at previous papers and noticed this came up in 2010 for the World Cup in South Africa.

It certainly wouldn't hurt. The vocabulary would be helpful anyway.

Do you know for the listening comprehension you always have to spell out the town and county that the speaker lives in. Does anyone have a list of places that are common or could come up. I never have any idea how to spell them. Thanks

Do you know for the listening comprehension you always have to spell out the town and county that the speaker lives in. Does anyone have a list of places that are common or could come up. I never have any idea how to spell them. Thanks

Ehhh
    Maigh Eo
    Dun na (n ?)Gall
    Ciarraí
    Gaillimh
    They're all common enough I think and like places like Gaeltacht areas but really once you can give it a shot you'll be fine it doesn't really matter how it's spelled :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Learn how to spell all the counties names especially the kind of difficult ones like Cill Mhántain & Úibh Fháilí

These are some towns our teacher gave us:
    An Ceathrú Rua
    An Spidéal
    Cill Chiarán
    Corr na Móna
    Inis Meáin
    Inis Oírr
    Tír an Fhia
    Indreabhán
    Casla
    Baile na hAbhann
    Na forbacha
    Ros Muc
    Ros a' Mhil

Daingean
    Dún Chaoin
    Corca Dhuibhne (Dingle Peninsula)
    Baile an Easpaig
    Trá Lí
    Líos Tuathail
    Cill Áirne
    Cousin Meala

Muileann gCearr
    Cùil an tSúdaire
    Má Nuad
    Droichead Nua
    Áth Í

Inis Eoighain
    Gaoth Dobhair
    Na Cealla Beaga
    Gort An Choirce
    Rann na Feiristse
    Leitir Ceannain

Sorry if a few are spelled wrong my auto correct keeps changing them... Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 laurap123

spurious wrote: »
    It certainly wouldn't hurt. The vocabulary would be helpful anyway.

The only thing is it's a very vague title. Would you be able to link in some of the stuff about why sport is imporant in a person's life or would that be irrelevant?

does anyone know what "chuir siad ar chrannaibh é" means?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Kelly090

does anyone know what "chuir siad ar chrannaibh é" means?

They put it to a draw/contest

laurap123 wrote: »
    The only thing is it's a very vague title. Would you be able to link in some of the stuff about why sport is imporant in a person's life or would that be irrelevant?

As in any subject, it depends on the question asked.

If they ask something like why the World Cup is important for young people, your stuff about sport in a person's life would be relevant. If they ask the effect the World Cup will have in Brazil, it's less so, though you could still mention it.

If a question comes up on why sport/keeping healthy/keeping fit is important, you could use your World Cup vocabulary there.

Advertisement