Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Venue for festival type wedding

Options
  • 29-03-2014 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have just got engaged and we are having an August wedding in 5 mths eek! We have decided on hiring a large tipi where we will have our food (done by a caterer) and the tipi also houses a dance-floor and small stage. We also are having our ceremony outside. So the vibe is festival, hippy and chilled. I am having difficulty sourcing somewhere to actually put the large tipis! I need land to rent/hire for the weekend. I have sourced one hostel that rents for the whole weekend but the dimensions of the tipis may be too big. Ive tried daft etc for renting a house with land etc to no avail. Has anybody got any ideas?? Lots of the country houses insist on providing the catering and charge accordingly and we already have a caterer friend. Leinster is our area if possible.. HELP!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Look up Inis Beg in Cork, you can rent the whole island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Have you tried kippure est.wicklow mountains?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Helpmeeee!

Thanks, yeh tried kippure and its booked out, as is mount Druid and Moongate : ( This is my trouble with it only being 5 mths away. If only someone had a big house with a huge garden for rent who wouldnt mind their garden trampled by a fair few feet all night!

Inis Beg sounds cool..will check it out..much further than I want but I cant be a chooser at this late stage. Thanks homemadecider!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Starrgrrl

Huntington castle in Carlow has room for a marquee I think so tipee might fit. I was reading about a glamping site recently (not mount druid) but can't remember the name. Somewhere like that might be an option. Don't forget the portaloos!!

• Advertisement

http://wildflowerglamping.ie
    The power of google!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Helpmeeee!

All suggested venues booked out..thanks anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Maybe one of the Irish Landmark Trust buildings would work

http://www.irishlandmark.com/properties/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Brigits Garden in Galway could work very well

http://www.brigitsgarden.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

Have you tried taking a spin out to the country and checking out some farmer's fields? If everywhere else is booked? Surely some farmer will cut a deal with you.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Are you hiring a teepee?

Can you post link to it please as a friend of mine was asking about one of these last week!

(Ps. I assume you mean "teepee" - pronounced as it is spelt :) teeeeee-peeeee and not tipi which I am reading as tippy or tip-pee :D)

Edit!
    Just done a little google and see some companies call them tipis....very strange imo but there you go!

Could you post co. you are using please?!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tbeans

We've previously looked at this option before decising against but here are other options in Cork that we found could faciliate marquee -

http://www.lissardestate.com/the-estate.html
    http://www.bantryhouse.com/bantryhouse/
    http://www.tripadvisor.ie/VacationRentalReview-g211877-d2053918-Dunowen_House-Clonakilty_County_Cork.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

How are you having an outdoor ceremony? My understanding is that HSE registrars have an onerous set of rules to follow, one of which stipulates only preapproved indoor venues. If this has changed I know a number of people who will be delighted! Unless you are not using an HSE registrar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Even the humanists are being awkward RE outdoor ceremonies now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

How are you having an outdoor ceremony? My understanding is that HSE registrars have an onerous set of rules to follow, one of which stipulates only preapproved indoor venues. If this has changed I know a number of people who will be delighted! Unless you are not using an HSE registrar?
    Spiritualist union of Ireland do outdoor ceremonies :)

Are they HSE approved registrars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Borris House in Co Carlow perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Are they HSE approved registrars?

Yes, they'd be on the list, from what I remember it's Tom Colton and Mary Losty.

PS: They'd be called solemnisers, not registrars. Registrars would only be the HSE staff, a priest would be a solemniser, but not a registrar for example.
    Excel list available here http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/General-Register-Office.aspx
    SU starts at line 5598. Looks like they've plenty more than 2 solemnisers now.

Thats great news re the solemnisers - cheers for the heads up people!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

M if tis any good but they would all be corkish located

Dunowen house loverly lady and stepped in music history..Tis just outside Clonakility good for a small wedding.
    Glebe Gardens was another but it would have to end early and not sure about the tipi think they have their own canopy.
    Cloghjordan house Tipperary
    Ballinwillaim Mitchelstown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭LoopyL

Do you mind me asking how long ago you got married outdoors?
    We had ours booked with the Humanists for this summer, they are now back-tracking and saying that doing it outdoors could leave us open to someone questioning the legality and validity of it.

Their bright idea now is that we do a mini indoor ceremony beforehand and then do the outdoor ceremony. So I would have no walking down the aisle being the first time OH sees me. Absolute bullsh!t IMHO. Also, not happening.

I know yours was with the spiritualists but would assume same rules apply.

Sorry for going off-topic guys!

we had ours end of 2012.
    The SU and Humanists wouldn't necessarily have the same rules as they're different type of ceremonies.

Registrar - civil
    Humanists - secular
    SU/RCC - religious

Ah, thank you Gatica, apologies for the mix up.
    Are Humanists the only type of secular celebrants?

Yes, I believe the specific term has been brought in to describe Humanist ceremonies once they became legal.
    I did hear on another thread people saying that the wording about the rules of ceremonies on the HSE website had been changed so I can't say 100% that SU would be able to keep doing outdoor ceremonies. Best thing is to ask them directly. The marriage forms really only say names and where you get married not whether indoor/outdoor, and then are signed on the day, and it's up to the solemniser to make sure that it is done in a legal way (e.g. apart from witnesses, who'd know whether he asks you whether you know of any impediment etc...?).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bananabubbles

pooch90 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how long ago you got married outdoors?
    We had ours booked with the Humanists for this summer, they are now back-tracking and saying that doing it outdoors could leave us open to someone questioning the legality and validity of it.

Their bright idea now is that we do a mini indoor ceremony beforehand and then do the outdoor ceremony. So I would have no walking down the aisle being the first time OH sees me. Absolute bullsh!t IMHO. Also, not happening.

I know yours was with the spiritualists but would assume same rules apply.

Sorry for going off-topic guys!

I am having the same problem. I have gotten advise from several hse registry office employees and another humanist solemiser that as long as the legal declarations and signing is done within an approved structure with a fixed abode (an address. Not a random field or by powers court waterfall for example), then what happens before or after is irrelevant.
    This means that you can go ahead with the outdoor ceremony but afterwards the couple, registered solemiser(humanist), witnesses ( and I have been advised to have a photographer for further evidence) all go into the registered room and do the quick legal bit. There is nothing illegal about that. Once the declarations and signing is done inside, you are married. It's all fuss over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Here Comes The Trio

I am having the same problem. I have gotten advise from several hse registry office employees and another humanist solemiser that as long as the legal declarations and signing is done within an approved structure with a fixed abode (an address. Not a random field or by powers court waterfall for example), then what happens before or after is irrelevant.
    This means that you can go ahead with the outdoor ceremony but afterwards the couple, registered solemiser(humanist), witnesses ( and I have been advised to have a photographer for further evidence) all go into the registered room and do the quick legal bit. There is nothing illegal about that. Once the declarations and signing is done inside, you are married. It's all fuss over nothing.

We played for a ceremony similar to that before. They had the "full" ceremony outdoors, walked back down the aisle and into a little room and did the legal bit as the guests walked around outside, and then they came back out two minutes later and it just became the drinks reception :P It wasn't strange at all! They were outdoors, only a couple of meters away from an entrance to the hotel so it would of course depend on yer own individual venues.

I think you should talk to your solemniser before choosing a venue with no indoor option at all. as far as I know the humanists are getting a little hassle about outdoor ceremonies at the moment so double check with whoever is performing your ceremony 1st maybe!

See, I would have no issue with this (well small issue) and we had arranged that we would go indoors after to do the legal bits. However, they now have backtracked again and said that they want it done first. I'm not prepared to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

This might be stating the absolute obvious but have you factored in access to toilet facilities? I only ask because you mention stuff like just renting a normal house with large garden or a farm field. For anything more than a tiny number of guests, you would need something close to a commercial / public space suite of loos. You can rent posh portacabin loos with proper interiors, sinks, mirrors etc but I imagine they are very expensive and would need a lot of advance planning to site them etc.. While a festival vibe would be great fun for a wedding, one of my horrors at festivals is dirty / inadequate loos, I can only imagine that is worse if you are all dolled up in your finery. Don't forget car parking space too. And work area for your caterers - for example if they have no proper kitchen space, they wil need a huge quantity of glasses to see you through the evening.

Best of luck, hope you get it sorted.

Advertisement