Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Play Store Problems

Options
  • 29-03-2014 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I'm not sure if this thread is in the right place or not.

I tried to purchase the Nexus 5 phone with a Ulster Bank Debit Card and when I press purchase I get: 'Invalid Debit Card'. I'm not sure why because I know I have enough money in the account and I re-checked the details.

Has anyone on here experienced this with Google Play?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well first things first. Never, ever pay for online purchases with a Debit Cars as you will have sfa protection if anything goes wrong. Use a credit Card instead.

Is the Nexus now available to Irish adresses from Google?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Well first things first. Never, ever pay for online purchases with a Debit Cars as you will have sfa protection if anything goes wrong. Use a credit Card instead.

Er, really? How come?
    Is the Nexus now available to Irish adresses from Google?

Yes. Yes it is.

OP, I used my Visa Credit Card and had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

keith16 wrote: »
    Er, really? How come?

Yes. Yes it is.

OP, I used my Visa Credit Card and had no problems.

Debit Cards:o

• Registered Users Posts: 49 AilishNi

I'm just wondering if it has anything to do with the Verified by Visa security, because that didn't show up and I am usually asked for this when I purchase something online.

If that's the case then I don't see how making a purchase on google will work for people with Ulster Bank Visa Debit cards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Debit Cards:o

Sorry, didn't even notice your typo...same question applies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

From Play Store Help:
    If you’re making a purchase in a currency other than U.S. dollars, you can make purchases using any credit, debit or gift card with the following logos:
    • Visa
    • Visa Electron
    • MasterCard
    • JCB
    OP, I'd double- and triple-check the number you're entering, it really sounds like a typo. If it's still not working, something has gone wrong somewhere, because it should be accepted.

And on the subject of debit vs credit card protection: http://www.moneyguideireland.com/protection-when-buying-with-debit-or-credit-cards.html. In particular:
    The level of consumer protection in Ireland is the same for both credit and debit cards

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    From Play Store Help:

OP, I'd double- and triple-check the number you're entering, it really sounds like a typo. If it's still not working, something has gone wrong somewhere, because it should be accepted.

I have just tried to order the phone again and when I am asked to put in my DC details and Billing info it stills says 'Invalid Debit Card'.

I have no idea it's happening. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Off topic you have the same protection using a visa debit card as you do a credit card.

OP have you ever bought a device from any of the playstores before? What happens if you go to Google wallet and add it in as a payment method?

CSSE09 wrote: »
    Off topic you have the same protection using a visa debit card as you do a credit card.

OP have you ever bought a device from any of the playstores before? What happens if you go to Google wallet and add it in as a payment method?

No this is the first time. I have gone into google wallet to add the payment method and it is saying, 'There was a problem authorizing your card. Contact your bank if this problem continues'.

I'm going to have to contact the bank on Monday. Thanks for the help anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Your bank could have blocked it if it is a larger purchase than normal on your card. It happened me when buying a new phone from China, an anti fraud measure.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    Your bank could have blocked it if it is a larger purchase than normal on your card. It happened me when buying a new phone from China, an anti fraud measure.

That could very well be the case, never thought of that. Thanks for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Nonsense

Advertisement