Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ways to save money or earn more?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Work as a part time call girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Work as a part time call girl.
    She could pimp herself out to the students, get it all out of the way in the school car park and then her evenings are free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I am a teacher, my wages just seem to dissolve away. Any suggestions on how to not spend money without just hiding inIhouse all weekend?

Out of interest, why did you feel the need to put in the "I am a teacher" bit?

I'm an engineer. I'm on the dole. About 80% of my dole is gone within minutes of it entering my hand.

I get E188 on a Tuesday. My re-structured mortgage is deducted on a Tuesday, it is E150, so that leaves me with E38 to live on.

• Forget drink / fags / E2 cups of coffee / Sky. That life is over.
    • Put aside at least E5 a week. That will be savings of E250 per year, handy for emergencies.
    • Grow the beard. Limit yourself to 2 haircuts per year. Grooming is a lost art that you will find very useful.
    • Cancel your phone plan, internet, club memberships, any subscriptions. Keep E5 in a PAYG phone, only turn it on once a day to see if anyone was looking for you, or when YOU want to make a call. Turn it off to save the battery.
    • Stock up on porridge. There are some nice flavoured ones out there. A 1.5kg packet usually does me 2 days. I have it plain for breakfast, throw a handful of raisins or chop a banana into it for lunch, and sometimes a packet of crisps mixed in for dinner. Vary it up. Mix it with water instead of milk to save another few euro per week.
    • If you are cold, wear more clothes. DO NOT use oil or gas, they are the biggest resource wastes in the universe. People think "Sure stick on the heating for a while", DONT! The last thing you need at a time like this is a bill you could have avoided.
    • Electricity is a dodgy one. If you cancel, there's a re-connection fee, so depending on how long you think you'll be living like this, it might be worth your while keeping it. If you do, keep its use to a minimum, ie fridge and lights, NOT hairdryers. Its not that expensive, but again, this is not the time to be accruing bills.
    • If you have a car, sell it. If you still need one, get a moped or a micra.
    • Take help when its offered. It somebody says "Oh come over for dinner sometime", take up their offer! Eat at your parents place whenever you can. Take lifts when you need them, and don't be afraid to ask for something.
    • This might seem like an obvious one, but its amazing how many people will try to cut corners when they are desperate - DONT BREAK THE LAW! Pay your TV license, if you have a car, keep it taxed and insured using your savings mentioned above, don't take drugs, don't get drunk on Dutch Gold, pay bills immediately, don't watch pirate DVD's or download music illegally, don't so much as fart out of place cos if you get into ANY sort of trouble, your situation will go from being poor to being in poverty, and that will have implications for the rest of your life, even when you get back on your feet.

All these things may seem obvious, but its funny how people forgot how to be thrifty during the boom years. Maybe its the age profile of users, but that's what life was like during the 80's, and it didn't seem stingy or hard at the time, it was just normal for most people. And this was at a time when people had big enough families compared to nowadays. OP, being a teacher is probably the best and safest job you could be in at the moment, so count your blessings, you have nothing to complain about!

People seem to have lost sight of what's important, that is loved ones, and security. Nobody is entitled to go out EVERY weekend, or to have a wedding with 100 people, or to go on a holiday every year. These things are luxuries, not givens.

And remember, things wont be like this forever. Enjoy the small things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

keep chickens, grow corn, eat eggs, eat chicken, use feathers for pillow and stalks off corn for bedding

or to cut down on the work eat roadkill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

newmug wrote: »
    Turn it off to save the battery.

You know you can recharge those batteries right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

If you store your farts in a bottle you can use it as petrol, saves a few quid.

• Put aside at least E5 a week. That will be savings of E250 per year, handy for emergencies.
    • Grow the beard. Limit yourself to 2 haircuts per year. Grooming is a lost art that you will find very useful.
    • Cancel your phone plan, internet, club memberships, any subscriptions. Keep E5 in a PAYG phone, only turn it on once a day to see if anyone was looking for you, or when YOU want to make a call. Turn it off to save the battery.
    • Stock up on porridge. There are some nice flavoured ones out there. A 1.5kg packet usually does me 2 days. I have it plain for breakfast, throw a handful of raisins or chop a banana into it for lunch, and sometimes a packet of crisps mixed in for dinner. Vary it up. Mix it with water instead of milk to save another few euro per week.
    • If you are cold, wear more clothes. DO NOT use oil or gas, they are the biggest resource wastes in the universe. People think "Sure stick on the heating for a while", DONT! The last thing you need at a time like this is a bill you could have avoided.
    • Electricity is a dodgy one. If you cancel, there's a re-connection fee, so depending on how long you think you'll be living like this, it might be worth your while keeping it. If you do, keep its use to a minimum, ie fridge and lights, NOT hairdryers. Its not that expensive, but again, this is not the time to be accruing bills.
    • Take help when its offered. It somebody says "Oh come over for dinner sometime", take up their offer! Eat at your parents place whenever you can. Take lifts when you need them, and don't be afraid to ask for something.
    • This might seem like an obvious one, but its amazing how many people will try to cut corners when they are desperate - DONT BREAK THE LAW! Pay your TV license, if you have a car, keep it taxed and insured using your savings mentioned above, don't take drugs, don't get drunk on Dutch Gold, pay bills immediately, don't watch pirate DVD's or download music illegally, don't so much as fart out of place cos if you get into ANY sort of trouble, your situation will go from being poor to being in poverty, and that will have implications for the rest of your life, even when you get back on your feet.
    So bleak. :(

Nino Brown wrote: »
    You know you can recharge those batteries right?

Yep, they do that here in Ireland too, not just in the USA. But do you know what else? Charging batteries uses electricity, believe it or not!

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    [/LIST]
    So bleak. :(

I know. But that's life. It could be worse, imagine living in Syria.

Yep, they do that here in Ireland too, not just in the USA. But do you know what else? Charging batteries uses electricity, believe it or not!

An iPhone battery holds a charge of 1,440 mAh, or about 5.45 watt hours. If you fully drain and recharge your phone everyday,then over a year you
    would have to feed it about 2,000 watt hours, or 2 kWh. At 20 cents per KwH, thats 40cents a year, or less than 1 cent a week.

• Advertisement

I know. But that's life. It could be worse, imagine living in Syria.

True. You've certainly put things into perspective though.

Nino Brown wrote: »
    An iPhone battery holds a charge of 1,440 mAh, or about 5.45 watt hours. If you fully drain and recharge your phone everyday,then over a year you
    would have to feed it about 2,000 watt hours, or 2 kWh. At 20 cents per KwH, thats 40cents a year, or less than 1 cent a week.

Get with it missus. There are no iPhones when you're on the dole.

I thought this wouldn't need to be explained, but if you have an iPhone, actually if you have anything valuable that is not a necessity, SELL IT. Buy a Nokia 3310 if you still need a phone.

Don't know what to say about that, especially the last part about downloads?. I'd be physically sick eating porridge for three days straight. Turn off your phone to save the battery! Dear God!

yawhat! wrote: »
    Don't know what to say about that, especially the last part. I'd be physically sick eating porridge for three days straight. Turn off your phone to save the battery! Dear God!

Yea well, I know its tough, but that's what you have to do if you are trying to live on E38 per week. Every. Cent. Counts.

Get with it missus. There are no iPhones when you're on the dole.

I thought this wouldn't need to be explained, but if you have an iPhone, actually if you have anything valuable that is not a necessity, SELL IT. Buy a Nokia 3310 if you still need a phone.

I know, but I wasn't going to google the battery capacity of every phone on the market, just to make sure I hit the right one. iphones are harder on batteries than cheaper phones, so in reality with a non-smart phone, it's probably closer 1c a fortnight. I know ever little helps, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Yea well, I know its tough, but that's what you have to do if you are trying to live on E38 per week. Every. Cent. Counts.

Well you obviously need to get a job then in McDonalds, Deli, Supermacs, cleaner etc. There are jobs going!

I barely survive on 600 a week, never mind 40 a week.

Wow, thats tough, been there :( Curious though, how can you afford internet access?

yawhat! wrote: »
    Well you obviously need to get a job then in McDonalds, Deli, Supermacs, cleaner etc. There are jobs going!

Believe me, I'm trying! But its not easy with 400,000 people competing for the same jobs! And do you know what reeeeeeeeeally pisses me off? When you get an interview for a deli and they say "But what are you applying to this job for, you're over-qualified!" >:(

Jake1 wrote: »
    Wow, thats tough, been there :( Curious though, how can you afford internet access?

I'm in my mothers house at the moment, its her internet.

I'm in my mothers house at the moment, its her internet.

ah thats good. You;ll get your dinner there too :) best of luck, hope things get better for you soon.

• Advertisement

I'll give you 20 euro if you dance for me and egg Bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

newmug, I hope you have got a debt write down on your mortgage, given that others who have hundreds of thousands written off will be living the high life compared to you! Are you being a martyr for the sake of it? Genuine question...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Idbatterim wrote: »
    newmug, I hope you have got a debt write down on your mortgage, given that others who have hundreds of thousands written off will be living the high life compared to you! Are you being a martyr for the sake of it? Genuine question...

Cos write downs are easy to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I get E188 on a Tuesday. My re-structured mortgage is deducted on a Tuesday, it is E150, so that leaves me with E38 to live on.

jaysus, how long has this been going on? How do you even get around with no transport? Or manage to eat healthily?

Idbatterim wrote: »

No, I didn't get a write down. The only sort of slack they'd cut me was they put me on interest only. And I'm being a martyr because I only have E38 per week to live on, genuine answer! Anyway, its not just me, that's the way a lot of people are living who are in this situation, what else can you do? Either that or emigrate.

osarusan wrote: »
    jaysus, how long has this been going on? How do you even get around with no transport? Or manage to eat healthily?

Almost 3 years. Lifts. Porridge, and fruit when its on offer, I've never eaten healthier. Why are people so shocked at all this? Are none of you on the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Almost 3 years. Lifts. Porridge, and fruit when its on offer, I've never eaten healthier. Why are people so shocked at all this? Are none of you on the dole?

People on the dole or otherwise don't live on porridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

thats not as easy as it might sound. He'd probably have to wait 20 years to move up a housing list ahead of families with children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Im on the scratch and eat like a king

Advertisement