Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chartered Surveyors - Assigned Certifiers

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rabbo wrote: »
    I have to disagree with people suggesting that Engineers are only versed with Part A and on the other hand ATs have a broad range of knowledge of all parts of the building regulations.

An AT's formal education is essentially how to detail and specify buildings taking into account/in accordance with all parts of the Building Regulations...as far as I am aware, engineers have no formal education in all parts of the Building Regulations.

If AT's were the only profession allowed to act as Design and Assigned Certifiers there would be some rational logic to it!

BTW, I am not an AT...there is only 1 AT mod on the C&P Forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Rabbo wrote: »
    I'd just like to say that I wasn't having a go at any particular mod or poster. There just seems to be an underlying pro-AT tone in a lot of posts here. Its clear that many users and mods on the forum are ATs (echoed by the fact that they have their own subforum). All users are of course entitled to their opinion but I have to disagree with people suggesting that Engineers are only versed with Part A and on the other hand ATs have a broad range of knowledge of all parts of the building regulations. The reality is that there are good and bad practitioners in all professions.
    Bringing up posts of poor advice from engineers as anecdotal evidence dosent really help the argument.

Construction is a multi-disciplinary industry however in smaller jobs, especially in domestic one-offs, you may only have one professional consulting. The reality is that Chartered Engineers are deemed to be suitable professionals to carry out the AC role. Discrediting engineers and their ability to carry out the AC role wont help ATs with their own case.

My degree is in Structural Engineering and we don't learn any building regulations in college. That came from on the job experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just Building Surveyors.

Engineers and Architects too.

An AT's formal education is essentially how to detail and specify buildings taking into account/in accordance with all parts of the Building Regulations...as far as I am aware, engineers have no formal education in all parts of the Building Regulations.

If AT's were the only profession allowed to act as Design and Assigned Certifiers there would be some rational logic to it!

BTW, I am not an AT...there is only 1 AT mod on the C&P Forum.

I doubt Architects have a formal education on Building regulations. Most construction professionals become knowledgeable about the building regulations by practical experience on site and/or in design of the works, usually being instructed/informed by a senior or from actually reading the regs themselves to see what applies for the particular section of the works they may be involved with.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

I am a graduate of the construction technology course in bolton street (I don't know if they still run it) and we had the joy of a whole class dedicated to the regs and technical guidance documents. Worst attended class of the course without doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,263 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I doubt Architects have a formal education on Building regulations. Most construction professionals become knowledgeable about the building regulations by practical experience on site and/or in design of the works, usually being instructed/informed by a senior or from actually reading the regs themselves to see what applies for the particular section of the works they may be involved with.

i can remember from my college years having to prepare a FSC as part of one of my projects, second year i think.

also, every critique had a big focus on building regulations, as well as building science.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

kkelliher wrote: »
    I am a graduate of the construction technology course in bolton street (I don't know if they still run it) and we had the joy of a whole class dedicated to the regs and technical guidance documents. Worst attended class of the course without doubt.
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    i can remember from my college years having to prepare a FSC as part of one of my projects, second year i think.

also, every critique had a big focus on building regulations, as well as building science.

+1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Engineers and Architects too.

In relation to what???

In my post, or the section of the post you quoted...'Just Building Surveyors'...I was referring to the fact that Building Surveyors are the only type of surveyors eligible to act as Design/Assigned Certifiers.

In relation to what???

In my post, or the section of the post you quoted...'Just Building Surveyors'...I was referring to the fact that Building Surveyors are the only type of surveyors eligible to act as Design/Assigned Certifiers.

I don't agree.

Engineers with design experience and Architects with design experience would also qualify for to act as Design/Assigned Certifiers.

Building surveyors are unlikely to have any qualifications in regard to structural design for bearing capacity of soil, concrete foundations, structural steel, load bearing walls & roofs and would be unable to provide the specific certification for the elements regarding structure.

Engineers with design experience and Architects with design experience would also qualify for to act as Design/Assigned Certifiers.

That's what I said.

Not sure what you are on about? Look at the thread title first...the only type of surveyor permitted to act as Design/Assigned Certifier is a (chartered) building surveyor. That's what I pointed out earlier.

This thread has nothing to do with architects or engineers. I am well aware that chartered engineers and registered architects can (also) act as Design/Assigned Certifiers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement