Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 AFL season discussion

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Pathetic by Collingwood at the weekend, losing to a Suns team that only made two rotations in the final quarter. Struggling to maintain faith in Buckley as a coach to be quite honest, just don't think he has the tactical nous to get us over the line in tight games.

Adelaide are playing very well at the moment and with Essendon hitting form as well our next two games could see us out of the 8 completely. It's going to be a very tight finish both for top 4 and top 8

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

and disappointing enough from the Eagles too. They stayed competetive enough with Sydney for 3 quarters, and had chances to get scores, but they were not as adaptable as Sydney were to the horrendous weather and just kept fumbling and making a mess of possession. I suppose realistically they were never going to win it, but its hard to watch them show the capabilities and qualities to defeating teams, but never sustain it.

Adam Goodes signed off on his career record day by showing his absolute quality too. Some player.

SSK wrote: »
    Pathetic by Collingwood at the weekend, losing to a Suns team that only made two rotations in the final quarter. Struggling to maintain faith in Buckley as a coach to be quite honest, just don't think he has the tactical nous to get us over the line in tight games.

Adelaide are playing very well at the moment and with Essendon hitting form as well our next two games could see us out of the 8 completely. It's going to be a very tight finish both for top 4 and top 8

Would probably be better off not making the 8 and getting the easier run next year as there isn't a hope of rattling off 4 wins in a row this year.

Seriously light down back all season and its all been left to Cloak again at the other end bar a few inputs from White when he's played.

On the Suns game, turning point was that miss by Cloak from a straight forward kick that was punished straight away at the other end.

Didn't you just know that Young was going to drop that ball as well-for those that didn't see it: about 3 mins left, down by 4... 4 pies vs 1 Sun, Mc Affer decides to square it to Young who drops and uncontested chest mark about 25 out.

McAffer took the wrong option anyway, he should have continued towards goal and drew the defender and passed to the two free men or kicked it himself. They had a 3 on 1 in the goal square had he continued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

bruschi wrote: »
    Adam Goodes signed off on his career record day by showing his absolute quality too. Some player.

I think goodes is the most exciting player in the comp to watch. He can stay quiet for half the game and just 5 minnets of his talent turn the game around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

fcuks sake Port:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    fcuks sake Port:mad:

Round 17 and it's first Tiges game I actually enjoyed watching so far this season. Hard to see Port playing a home final now but it's been a season of surprises so not beyond them yet.

St Kilda giving Freo a fair trimming at half time break here. Up by 40 and totally dominating. Just as well Carlton ruined this weeks bet for me or else I'd be wanting Freo to win this one.

The eagles would frustrate the hell out of you. The ability to compete and challenge, but coupled with absolute crap house performances with no effort. Great win away in Adelaide who have serious form at the moment. I should know better too than to bet against them too. Ruined a perfect accumulator this wknd!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

The eagles would frustrate the hell out of you. The ability to compete and challenge, but coupled with absolute crap house performances with no effort. Great win away in Adelaide who have serious form at the moment. I should know better too than to bet against them too. Ruined a perfect accumulator this wknd!

They were excellent yesterday. Urgent in the middle. NN was brilliant and we could not stop the flow of ball up to the forwards. Very dissapointing display from Crows. Finals football only 50/50 at the minute.
    Collingwood winning today not what I wanted to hear either........

Big weekend ahead for the teams battling for 6-8 spots on the ladder.

Unfortunately I have no faith in Collingwood to win over in Perth. If the Eagles mids can back up their display from last week the West Coast forwards could have a field day against our defence. It's a good job for us that Adelaide, Gold Coast, Richmond and Essendon all play 50-50 games.

It'll be interesting to see if Port have any fight left in them against Sydney. The first game (the Buddy show) was one of the games of the year so hoping for something similar tomorrow night.

• Advertisement

Big weekend ahead for the teams battling for 6-8 spots on the ladder.

Unfortunately I have no faith in Collingwood to win over in Perth. If the Eagles mids can back up their display from last week the West Coast forwards could have a field day against our defence. It's a good job for us that Adelaide, Gold Coast, Richmond and Essendon all play 50-50 games.

It'll be interesting to see if Port have any fight left in them against Sydney. The first game (the Buddy show) was one of the games of the year so hoping for something similar tomorrow night.

well dont worry, I'd have no faith in the Eagles to have any sort of consistency and win the game! Eagles have absolutely no form line at all, they can go from being utterly useless, to winning a great game the following week, and then back down to wooden spoon form again. They have slim hopes of keeping finals alive, but in a similar vein last year they were pathetic and lost out in a most feeble manner.

Great performance from the eagles. That was an absolute smashing. If they keep the form of the last 2 games going they could rob a finals spot. Pies effort in the second half was utter rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Great performance from the eagles. That was an absolute smashing. If they keep the form of the last 2 games going they could rob a finals spot. Pies effort in the second half was utter rubbish

Eagles showing great form in the last two weeks. Probably too late, to be honest, but think they will still have a say in who is in top 8. Richmond doing the same. Should be a cracker next Saturday night at the Oval.

Exciting finish to regular season. Hawthorn have a demanding finish. Still think Port have a chance of finishing in 4. Will come down to the last day in Perth, I think.

seipeal1 wrote: »
    Eagles showing great form in the last two weeks. Probably too late, to be honest, but think they will still have a say in who is in top 8. Richmond doing the same. Should be a cracker next Saturday night at the Oval.

Exciting finish to regular season. Hawthorn have a demanding finish. Still think Port have a chance of finishing in 4. Will come down to the last day in Perth, I think.

could be wrong, but I think if the Eagles win their last 3 (away to Essendon and GCS and home to Dees) then its likely they are in the top 8. They are one game behind Collingwood, who have to play Hawthorn. And they have a better percentage than Essendon, GCS and Pies.

This Collingwood team just isn't good enough unless the intensity is at it's absolute limit or the opposition are down on form. We had both of these against Port last week and barely fell over the line but we didn't get so lucky against the Eagles, who in fairness are playing very well of late. Pendlebury, Beams, Sidebottom and Elliott produce consistent football on a weekly basis but our second tier mids are poor and both our forwardline and backline aren't functioning. Buckley isn't a good enough coach to compensate a la Clarkson when Hawthorn had a huge injury list. Just poor all round.

Hard to call who will make the 8 now. It could well come down to percentage as I can see a number of teams landing on 12 wins. Should make for an exciting last round if nothing else.

God damn ****ing Eagles. **** **** ****ity ****. 34 points up and to lose by 4. And no goal in last quarter. Typical ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

FREO, FREO fcuk ya, a few casualties along the way might turn out to be an interesting year!

FREO, FREO fcuk ya, a few casualties along the way might turn out to be an interesting year!

Super win. With their performance from last week too, it's a great time to be finding form.

Carlton nearly did it too. Maybe showing the potential they can have to make finals. Sheehan did well too. Shaky start and a few rookie type errors, but he improved and kicked a lovely assist to Gibbs late on.

Collingwood. Brutal again. I hope the fitness and conditioning gurus have some quality excuses because the number of soft tissue injuries this season is unacceptable in professional sporting environment. Fair play to Tony Armstrong, 8 quarters of footy in the one day is a fine effort, but again it's an entirely unprofessional set up that would allow all our emergencies bar one to play the full VFL game. Surely pull at least one more at half time?

I enjoyed the Freo game immensely yesterday, the pace and intensity was far above most games this season. With Walters back and Pav finding form Freo will be a formidable outfit in September. The top 4 clashes are shaping up as epics if all goes to plan in the finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

A serious weekend of footy. Saw the second half of Eagles Bombers game. Really exciting finish. Really harsh call on an eagles player after he took a mark with 5 to go. Eagles just ran out of gas, a single goal in the 4th quarter would have had them looking good for top 8.

Freo Hawks game yesterday was excellent. The pressure the 2 teams put in each other without the ball was unreal. Some intensity. Hawks probably should have had a bigger lead after the first quarter but Freo gifted them a few scores at the same time.

2nd & 3rd quarters were unreal, it was like 2 heavyweights swapping punches. That St. Kilda loss has cost Freo a shot at the top 2. Looking like a playoff against Port now for 4th place on the last day.

On a side note, how many times this season have Geelong scraped over the line? I think that bodes well for them in the finals. Generally the sign of a good team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

Collingwood. Brutal again. I hope the fitness and conditioning gurus have some quality excuses because the number of soft tissue injuries this season is unacceptable in professional sporting environment. Fair play to Tony Armstrong, 8 quarters of footy in the one day is a fine effort, but again it's an entirely unprofessional set up that would allow all our emergencies bar one to play the full VFL game. Surely pull at least one more at half time?

I enjoyed the Freo game immensely yesterday, the pace and intensity was far above most games this season. With Walters back and Pav finding form Freo will be a formidable outfit in September. The top 4 clashes are shaping up as epics if all goes to plan in the finals.

Collingwood seem to have completely fallen away. Apart from all those soft tissue injuries, have they lost players to injury like the suns lost Ablett or is it just a complete loss of form?

SSK, whats the story with Clarke now? Havent checked up on him for a while, but dont see him mentioned at all these days for the first team, and with so many out injured etc now, the fact he still isnt getting a look in is a really bad sign, not only for his future there, but also for any prospective clubs. He is coming home in October to get married, will it be for good do you think?

jj1 wrote: »
    Collingwood seem to have completely fallen away. Apart from all those soft tissue injuries, have they lost players to injury like the suns lost Ablett or is it just a complete loss of form?

Before last week we just had a constant flow of knocks, niggles and what appeared to be short term injuries take longer than expected to clear up. We lost Brown and Maxwell mid season and Reid has barely played but it's not a valid excuse for the under-performances and inconsistency in my opinion. I don't rate Buckley as a coach to be quite honest although I'd love to be proved wrong.
    SSK, whats the story with Clarke now? Havent checked up on him for a while, but dont see him mentioned at all these days for the first team, and with so many out injured etc now, the fact he still isnt getting a look in is a really bad sign, not only for his future there, but also for any prospective clubs. He is coming home in October to get married, will it be for good do you think?

He played round 1 in the flogging by Freo and has been in the VFL ever since. He's also had a couple of injuries throughout the year, including at the moment but by my estimation he'd be basically the last one on the list picked even if he was fit. His form in the VFL has been mediocre at best and he looks every inch a man who has his mind already back at home. I really doubt he'll get picked up by anyone else at this stage. It's a pity as he looked like a potential star when he first played back in 07 but his pace, intensity at the contest and skill levels all seem to have diminished since then.

Advertisement