Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

code red: worst case scenario

• 28-03-2014 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

In Ireland, what would be the worst case emergency scenario and how would we deal with it? Would we be able to?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Cold chips. Speed up. Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Pick one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_the_Earth

All extendability zone stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

sligolad1 wrote: »
    In Ireland, what would be the worst case emergency scenario and how would we deal with it? Would we be able to?

Take a look at the TSHTF/EOTWAWKI thread on the Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Forum. The focus is more on responses from individuals or small groups rather than State response, but they look at a wide range of scenarios from war in Ukraine to oil shortages to avian flu outbreak.

Will post link later.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

No probationers to make tea...I've done my time it's someone else's now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

sligolad1 wrote: »

Bit like MetEireann's storm codes, make it up as we go along - 'Shure it'll do' is our national motto, why have a plan for anything when we can 'phone a friend' in the Dáil bar to come up with some sort of a 'plan' in minutes :p

IMO I'd be looking at lessons learned from 9/11 , Japanese earthquake/tsunami , San Francisco earthquake , 2013/14 US winter storms, Hurricane Charlie, Russian meteorite, MH370, and Aussie bushfires - come up with scenarios on a scale of 1 to 10 most likely and ........LOSE IT somewhere in the Department's filing room :P:P:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

How would this be coded then......I's suggest that,that for the Shop Staff this was as Red as they would want...however it would be interesting to see how the "System" would grade it ?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/exclusive-watch-shocking-scenes-as-violent-group-attempt-to-kick-in-shop-door-after-theft-of-kit-kats-30187602.html

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

AlekSmart wrote: »
    How would this be coded then......I's suggest that,that for the Shop Staff this was as Red as they would want...however it would be interesting to see how the "System" would grade it ?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/exclusive-watch-shocking-scenes-as-violent-group-attempt-to-kick-in-shop-door-after-theft-of-kit-kats-30187602.html

It would be interesting to hear the actual call for that...

My guess is it was reported as the initial thing of someone stealing kitkat's from the shop (low priority)...potentially another call wasn't made hence the slow arrival?

Otherwise there's some questions to answer...one of the main roads in the capital certainly doesn't take a 20 minute response

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

A ferry sinking would be a major incident for this country. I'm looking at the response to the South Korean ferry sinking and it's massive. It's impressive to see how the resources are managed on scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

I would imagine that our biggest issue would be an attack on Sellafield. Or any other nuclear plant on the west coast of Britain.

Or a breakout of a virus such as Ebola or Hantavirus in Europe. We are lucky that we are on an island, so it might be successful in keeping it out. But nature finds a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

A nuclear or biological attack would be pretty devastating simply because it would be so unexpected. But I reckon a large scale storm on the scale of Katrina would be worse. I don't think we have the capability to recover from something like that alone.

• Advertisement

A nuclear or biological attack would be pretty devastating simply because it would be so unexpected. But I reckon a large scale storm on the scale of Katrina would be worse. I don't think we have the capability to recover from something like that alone.
    A storm would be worse that a Nuclear or Biological attack?

Are you nuts?

Storms would damage roads, bridges, telephone cables, buildings etc. But, they could be fixed.

Nuclear attack would incinerate the place. Nothing left but a burnt field. And anyone within 10 miles dead or dying of radiation infection.

Nuclear = storm x100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

cabledude wrote: »
    A storm would be worse that a Nuclear or Biological attack?

Are you nuts?

Storms would damage roads, bridges, telephone cables, buildings etc. But, they could be fixed.

Nuclear attack would incinerate the place. Nothing left but a burnt field. And anyone within 10 miles dead or dying of radiation infection.

Nuclear = storm x100

I did say on the scale of Katrina. A hurricane releases the power of something like 25 nukes per hour. It cannot be contained or quarantined. It cannot be prevented. It does not end quickly. It could cross the country in hours.

In contrast a nuke has a limited radius (20 miles squared?). A biological agent would not be as effective with our rural landscape.

I did say on the scale of Katrina. A hurricane releases the power of something like 25 nukes per hour. It cannot be contained or quarantined. It cannot be prevented. It does not end quickly. It could cross the country in hours.

In contrast a nuke has a limited radius (20 miles squared?). A biological agent would not be as effective with our rural landscape.
    A nuke or bio weapon in Dublin, Cork or any of the other urban areas?

I'd take the storm anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

cabledude wrote: »
    A nuke or bio weapon in Dublin, Cork or any of the other urban areas?

I'd take the storm anyday.

And to think of those N.E.T bulk fertiliser trains that used to run up from Cobh through Cork city then up through Dublin and onto somewhere else.....Arklow if memory serves me correctly. We do recall what else fertilizer is used for, other than agriculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Markcheese

kub wrote: »
    And to think of those N.E.T bulk fertiliser trains that used to run up from Cobh through Cork city then up through Dublin and onto somewhere else.....Arklow if memory serves me correctly. We do recall what else fertilizer is used for, other than agriculture.

Wasn't there ammonia wagons doing the same run. fertilizer is pretty stable and would have thought it's safer on rail than shipped by road as it currently is...
    Although if something does go horribly wrong a whole train exploding... Lac Megantique (can't spell it ,place in Canada)

Meteor the size of Ireland Landing on ireland ,code black (duck and cover !!)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

We are ok for the old Nuclear fallout in Ireland weren't we all prescribed iodine tablets in 2002.

getting back to the question at hand worst case scenario in Ireland would be countrywide civil unrest I could see things going south pretty rapidly if that happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Most of the risks listed here are in a word quite simply 'stupid'. Volcanoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, meteor strikes and the like have a close to non-existent occurrence risk, due to location, climate and tectonic plate structure etc.

The only 'present, significant, continuing and escalating risk' is regards to Sellafield. They themselves recently confirmed it as:
    the most complex and challenging nuclear site in Europe.

main facts/factors:
    • 1 million cubic meters of nuclear waste from all over the UK has been buried for the past 55 years.
    • Declared a potential source of contamination – due to natural coastal erosion and rising sea levels.
    • The 110 hectare site is located just one hundred yards from the coast, on an elevation of between 5 and 25 meters above sea level.
    • "It's highly probable the coast will naturally erode and the waste will be disrupted,” says the EA.

article 1
    article 2

Joe Doe wrote: »
    Most of the risks listed here are in a word quite simply 'stupid'. Volcanoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, meteor strikes and the like have a close to non-existent occurrence risk, due to location, climate and tectonic plate structure etc.

The only 'present, significant, continuing and escalating risk' is regards to Sellafield. They themselves recently confirmed it as:

main facts/factors:
    • 1 million cubic meters of nuclear waste from all over the UK has been buried for the past 55 years.
    • Declared a potential source of contamination – due to natural coastal erosion and rising sea levels.
    • The 110 hectare site is located just one hundred yards from the coast, on an elevation of between 5 and 25 meters above sea level.
    • "It's highly probable the coast will naturally erode and the waste will be disrupted,” says the EA.

article 1
    article 2
    Agreed. A natural disaster could have a devastating impact on Sellafield. Like Fukushima.

Or, God forbid, a terrorist attack. I live on the South East coast of Ireland. The small hairs stand on the back of my neck when I think about the aftermath of an attack on Sellafield.

Sellafield in nearer to Dublin and all other cities on the entire island of Ireland than it is to London. With the exception of Limerick and Cork. The distances here are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

For some rather unpleasant watching on what a nuclear attack would mean check out The War Game (1965) and Threads (1984). Dramas both, but based on accepted facts regarding outright destruction, flash burns, blindness and fallout. Any hospitals not destroyed would be swamped with hundreds of thousands of burn victims and general injuries. No country could cope with that.

These deal with a full scale nuclear attack on the UK and how authorities would deal with the aftermath, so maybe not as applicable to Ireland. I found them equally fascinating and horrifying...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Zombie apocolypse (to which, rather alarmingly, an entire boards forum is dedicated) hasn't even been mentioned yet. Talk about fail to prepare.

On a mildly more serious note, any attack on sellafield would have a high likelihood of a SW wind and any fallout being blown in that direction. More's the pity for Newcastle, Sunderland and Edinburgh. Northeasterlies are rare enough.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

sdeire wrote: »
    Zombie apocolypse (to which, rather alarmingly, an entire boards forum is dedicated) hasn't even been mentioned yet. Talk about fail to prepare.

On a mildly more serious note, any attack on sellafield would have a high likelihood of a SW wind and any fallout being blown in that direction. More's the pity for Newcastle, Sunderland and Edinburgh. Northeasterlies are rare enough.

:rolleyes:
    I didn't know there was a zombie apocalypse thread. I'm going to head over there now.

Agreed about the wind thing. But, isn't it mental that all our fates would lie with wind directions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Sorry but that zombie apocalypse thread is another waste of space, simply not possible (bar rabies) of which mankind has dealt with fine since start the of time. Science. Fiction. Movies.

Regarding wind direction, this is a highly variable factor which can change by the day, or even by the hour. Their site is also situated on the Irish sea so tidal patterns or 'off-shore localised winds' are another factor.

Might do no harm if anyone has any gigometers handy to take monthly measurements along the entire Eastern seaboard, as leaks might not always be disclosed or reported on good time from their pr department.

On the plus side house prices might go down a little bit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

A Nuclear incident would not be good, but something far less massive would be a major problem to deal with if it lasted for any length of time.

Think about the implications of a nationwide shutdown of the Electricity supply. There are so many other things that are totally dependent on electricity, including things like transport, emergency services, distribution of just about everything, the list is very long.

Even the ability to distribute and supply things like food and fuel would be a problem.

It would not take long for the entire infrastructure to be significantly and dangerously disrupted.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poZXRUxlaqk

This was made in 2004 by the BBC/HBO. All before 7/7 bombings.

Have to say it really does show what it would be like, panic and under resourced emergency services.

The only thing that I would say is better these days is the use of CCTV to find people. But ANPR does need to be rolled out nationwide.

Advertisement