Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminology question

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

It's not about affixing labels, it's about facilitating communication. An airport is a busy place, so anything that prepares people for potential communication problems will make the whole experience smoother for everybody. You like "Deaf without speech"? Ok, "Deaf without speech" it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭joanmul

rozeboosje wrote: »
    Susan, I think you're missing the point. I would consider "hearing" and "speaking" to be two different abilities. Each of the terms you suggest, whether it is "Deaf", "Hard of Hearing" or "Deafened" only gives me information about ONE of these two abilities: the ability to hear. It conveys nothing, whatsoever, about that person's ability to speak.

So again, what terminology do we use to convey a person's ability to speak - in a manner intelligible to a hearing person who has had no training in any form of Sign Language?

Speech impaired?

joanmul wrote: »
    Speech impaired?

Maybe - but I can actually understand that some people wouldn't like the word "impaired" because that does have a clear negative connotation to it. What do you think of "Get In There"'s suggestion? Fairly simple, and pretty neutral.

test

Advertisement