Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Race Weekend

Options
  • 28-03-2014 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

http://www.balbriggan.info/balbriggan_cycle_race_series_weekend_2014.shtml
    Saturday, 29th March 2014: Harry Reynolds Memorial Race
    (Download the Race Map here)
    Start time:
    4.00pm.
    Sign-on/Registration:
    From 2.30pm at Man O'War Public House (by kind permission of Mr. Martin Mc Nulty).
    Race Length:
    52.6km
    Route:

The Race Circuit: The circuit is the same as that used last year. The race will start at the Man O War Pub. The cyclists will then cover 6 laps of the circuit (5 laps of 8.8km and 1 lap of 8.6km).

The route starts in the direction of the Lusk to Skerries Road, via Palmerstown/Malheaney, turning left towards Skerries at Collinstown. The Riders then pass by Balcunnin Equestrian Centre and take the next left towards Ardgillan Park.

After passing Milverton National School the race takes the next left at Milverton Cemetery towards Killalane. At Kearney’s tree the riders turn right on to Killalane and then take the next left on to New Lane, Darcystown. At the end of New Lane the race turns left and ascends the climb to the finish line to complete the lap.

The finish line will be 200 metres before the Man O War Pub.

On 21st February 2013, after a gap of 117 years, 27 year old Walshestown resident Martyn Irvine became World Track Cycling Champion winning the 15km Scratch Race in the velodrome in Minsk, Belarus
    Presentation of prizes:
    Man O'War Public House.
    Sunday’s cycling action switches to the Ring Commons Sports Centre for the Ben Mc Kenna and Jim (Jazzer) Wherity Memorial Races.

There will be three races: the Ben Mc Kenna Memorial Cup race for the Elite Senior A+, A1 & A 2 categories; the Ben McKenna Trophy race for the A3 category; and the Jim (Jazzer) Wherity Memorial race for the A4 category.

Race details are as follows:
    race_map_icon.jpgSunday 30th March 2014: Ben McKenna Memorial Races and Jim (Jazzer) Wherity Memorial Race
    (Download the Race Map here)Start time:
    11:00am.
    Sign-on/Registration:
    9.00am to 10.30am at Ring Commons Sports Centre.
    Race length:
    A+, A1 & A2 = 135km
    A3 = 77km
    A4= 58km
    Route: The Race Circuit: Due to structural damage to a bridge on last year’s circuit it has been necessary to modify the circuit route for this year’s races. The course circuit is 19.3 km in length with A+, A1 and A2 riders covering 7 laps. The A3 riders will cover 4 laps and the A4 category will cover 3 laps.

After signing on at Ring Commons Sports Centre the riders will warm up by cycling to the Start/Finish, at Hollywood Great outside Murphy Environment Quarry, for assembly for each race.

After the start flag is dropped the riders turn right after 150 metres at the T junction towards the Nag’s Head turning left at the crossroads on to the R108 and a fast descent to Ballyboughal. The riders then turn left onto the R129 until it meets the R132 at Blake’s Cross.

After turning left, through Corduff, and then a fast run down the Ballough straight, the riders turn left at the Five Roads, proceeding straight through a small roundabout, then over the M1 Motorway and up a climb straight through the Nevitt crossroads to complete the circuit at the T-junction at the base of the Start/Finish area.

On completing the final lap the race turns right on to the sharp 150 metre climb up to the finish at Hollywood Great outside the Murphy Environment Quarry.

All Sunday’s races will finish at the top of the hill at Hollywood Great outside the Murphy Environment Quarry.

Lots and lots of prizes on offer in what should be a great weekend of racing. Sunday's route slightly different to last year but loses nothing in terms of difficulty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Ye Aulde Nags Head, been missing from racing for too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 2Cando

Does anyone have the profile of the new route for the Sunday race?

2Cando wrote: »
    Does anyone have the profile of the new route for the Sunday race?

http://app.strava.com/segments/661862

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Inquitus wrote: »

Well have you got the Visa sorted out for Sunday?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

greenmat wrote: »
    I've got mine sorted for tomorrow! See you all at Man 'O War....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Beasty wrote: »
    I've got mine sorted for tomorrow! See you all at Man 'O War....

Are you buying the pints :p

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Are you buying the pints :p
    Can't even lift one at present....

I still have one god hand ,ill bring a straw for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I don't think you understood the question!

lennymc wrote: »
    I don't think you understood the question!
    What question?;)

Alas the short-term memory is letting me down a bit at present ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

What question?;)

Alas the short-term memory is letting me down a bit at present ...

luckily I have witnesses to you agreeing to buy all the drinks so.

greenmat wrote: »

Aye I got a visa, no ripping my legs off on the Nags Head now you hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Is there a rider limit on Saturday? 140?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Zippe

Hey,
    What's the course like ? There is a climb to the finish, is it a drag or a good climb ? Might be in Dublin at the week end and might get over to it all going well if I'm still up there on Sunday,

Cheers zip,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭wav1

Is there a rider limit on Saturday? 140?
    There has to be if it includes A4s in the same race as other categories.

Nice to see a number of familiar faces at Man 'O War this afternoon - even managed a chat with Commissaire who helped relay my own "news" a few weeks ago. Great to catch up with so many of you - hope I didn't put the cat amongst the pidgeons with any "next of kin" with some of my stories!!

Initial report and results on Stickybottle

Was surprised at how few took part tbh. Great amount of spectators and support though. Found it very tough. That's all I can say really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I thought the spectators were really good and very encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Was surprised at how few took part tbh. Great amount of spectators and support though. Found it very tough. That's all I can say really.
    A lot of people saving themselves for the big tomorrow I think. Small bunch of A2's only had a minute over the A1's and where quickly reeled in and a lot were shelled before joining what was left of the A3's after the juniors had their fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭wav1

Nice to see a number of familiar faces at Man 'O War this afternoon - even managed a chat with Commissaire who helped relay my own "news" a few weeks ago. Great to catch up with so many of you - hope I didn't put the cat amongst the pidgeons with any "next of kin" with some of my stories!!

Initial report and results on Stickybottle
    That busy talking you ''forgot''to get that round in LOL
    Seriously though good to see you out and about.
    Beasty and Killallener the Fingal walking wounded

• Advertisement

Very important message relayed by the commissaire before today's race. The relatively small numbers and a tough cicuit definitely helped everyone keep on the correct side of the road, and I hope everyone heeds the warnings tomorrow as I recall there were some issues with last year's equivalent race. There were plenty of Gardai on show today (who also helped with managing vehicles on the circuit), and there was a clear threat of the race being stopped if there were problems. I suspect there will be similar scrutiny tomorrow when there will probably be larger fields, so hopefully everyone will show the same respect and discipline as today.

My son took a crap load of photos, so I'll try and get som eup, the useable ones. Took two fo me which did nothing for my self-confidence I can tell you. Lots of weight still to lose.

Took two fo me which did nothing for my self-confidence I can tell you. Lots of weight still to lose.
    Don't worry - it's acceptable in Sundrive gear;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Very important message relayed by the commissaire before today's race. The relatively small numbers and a tough cicuit definitely helped everyone keep on the correct side of the road, and I hope everyone heeds the warnings tomorrow as I recall there were some issues with last year's equivalent race. There were plenty of Gardai on show today (who also helped with managing vehicles on the circuit), and there was a clear threat of the race being stopped if there were problems. I suspect there will be similar scrutiny tomorrow when there will probably be larger fields, so hopefully everyone will show the same respect and discipline as today.

Did they enforce it on this section of the highway?

Raam wrote: »
    Dunno - i only had a chance to walk down from Man 'O War to the main Lusk/Skerries road which was specifically mentioned prior to the race (as it does have solid white lines) - everyone was fine on the bits I saw...

Raam wrote: »

Its a single track road so no center line so rule would just to keep left ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Must have been a loooooooooooooong peloton.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Link to some photos from turn 4 at yesterdays Harry Reynolds taken by my son.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/105265777200352970835/albums/5996353566627796625

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Yea, like that happened!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Good race....felt the hurt of the two juniors when they caught us..managed a lap with 4 other a4 riders hanging on then got blew out on hill...
    very well marshaled too.
    Cheers for the pics

Advertisement