Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to travel to London? Here's how to half the cost

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

As there's been a couple of mention of Terravision buses in this thread then maybe someone can help me with this:

Long story short, I've booked seats on their Stansted bus into London. The money's come out of my account all right, but I've received no confirmation email from them with the tickets attached.

I've attempted logging into my account on their site, but it says my password's incorrect. I've tried resetting it using the link they've provided but I've received no email afterwards.

I emailed their customer care team yesterday and I've received no reply.

Anyone have similar issues with this lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

As there's been a couple of mention of Terravision buses in this thread then maybe someone can help me with this:

Long story short, I've booked seats on their Stansted bus into London. The money's come out of my account all right, but I've received no confirmation email from them with the tickets attached.

I've attempted logging into my account on their site, but it says my password's incorrect. I've tried resetting it using the link they've provided but I've received no email afterwards.

Ring them?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    As well as SkyScanner you should also try out the new Google Flights for all destinations.

Others have suggested always using "anonymous" mode when searching on the grounds that your cookies will show the sites your interest in a flight and hence not give you the rock bottom price. I'm not a conspiracy fan, but there does seem to be some truth to this one.

Mind explaining how to go "anonymous" for those of us who are IT illiterate? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

Any cheap place to buy tickets for Wicked the day before online. We are going to stay overnight in London so won't be able to book tickets at a booth

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭teecee74

The TKTS booth on Leicester Sq will sell ticklets online and also in advance - 1/2 days only www.tkts.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

If you have Firefix, on the top left there is an option for private browsing and then your frame turns purple...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Never had issues myself and have used them several times in the past. Might be a stupid question but have you checked your spam folder? or if you're using tabs in gmail maybe it went into the Promotions tab? Otherwise I would ring them as someone else suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

oops! sorry for not responding - I've been away.
    In safari it's click on the word Safari on the top of the screen at the left, then choose "private browsing".
    In Chrome - it's the top right hand corner - three horizontal bars - click and choose "New incognito window".

I don't use Firefox any more - but somebody has already answered you.

Disadvantage is that you can't "return" to that bargain you found by using your "history" tab or starting to type it in for google to complete - because you were browsing anonymously it doesn't save your history. You'll just have to remember how you got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sophiaharris42

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    oops! sorry for not responding - I've been away.
    In safari it's click on the word Safari on the top of the screen at the left, then choose "private browsing".
    In Chrome - it's the top right hand corner - three horizontal bars - click and choose "New incognito window".

I don't use Firefox any more - but somebody has already answered you.

Disadvantage is that you can't "return" to that bargain you found by using your "history" tab or starting to type it in for google to complete - because you were browsing anonymously it doesn't save your history. You'll just have to remember how you got there.

Does this really stop the cookies from detecting you? My understanding was that "private browsing" only stopped the site from being recorded in your browser history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Just an fyi that the whole "Ryanair tracks your cookies to charge you higher prices" thing is just an urban legend and the whole thing has been discredited many times and no-one ever produced any solid proof, it was just one of those things that came out on twitter and spread like wildfire. So in other words, don't waste your time trying to get lower prices by clearing your cookies or searching in private mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

http://seat61.com/Ireland.htm - train / rail
    one ticket to any UK station - so you may not even need to get a bus/tube ticket as well - even if you don't use them check out the timetables.

if you get the Virgin train on the way back it takes a huge chunk of time off the journey.

London ▶ Dublin from £38 / €49
    London ▶ Cork, Limerick, Galway from £55.50 / €69

Train & ferry on one ticket, no baggage fees, no weight limits, no airport taxes, no train fare to the airport, under 5s free, under 16s half price. Book by 18:00 day before travel, small fee for online bookings. Fast ferry £5 more.
    You can rock up to a train station in the UK and buy the ticket on the day of travel , either to Dublin Ferryport or Dun Laoghaire.

anyone know the approx travel time total dublin to london via sail rail?

tks
    neo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

neonitrix wrote: »
    anyone know the approx travel time total dublin to london via sail rail?

It's right there in the link you've quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

While more expensive than the bus, it's only £11 to/from Tottenham Hale and £12 to/from Liverpool Street if booked 7 days in advance.

This drops to £7/£8 if booked 30 days in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭burberry

Hi all
    Travelling to Gatwich from Dublin for 3 nights looking for somewhere cheap to stay, want to do the Harry Potter studio tour in Watford so somewhere close to there would be great. Thanks in advance .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

I'm driving over to england and intend to stay for 10 or so days at the end of June.
    4 days around the london area 3 days for London and 1 day for legoland with the kids.

are travelodges generally ok as they seem the cheapest...specially more than 10 miles outside the city?
    I intend to leave car at hotel and get transport in.

been saving up those kellogs vouchers big time as I want to do the london eye, madam tussauds sealife and of course legoland.

I dont have flights booked yet, why is Luton nearer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

burberry wrote: »
    I dont have flights booked yet, why is Luton nearer ?

Yep, Luton is North of London as is Watford. You pass through Watford on the train from Luton to London if I'm not mistaken. Gatwick is South London

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

johnnykilo wrote: »
    You pass through Watford on the train from Luton to London if I'm not mistaken.
    Not on First Capital Connect anyway, which is the vast majority of the trains going through the station. Most likely a change at St Albans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Not on First Capital Connect anyway, which is the vast majority of the trains going through the station. Most likely a change at St Albans.

Fly to Luton and Hire a car , Harrypotter is very close

galait wrote: »
    Fly to Luton and Hire a car , Harrypotter is very close

Dont drive so would i be better off going to Luton or Gatwick ?

Dont drive so would i be better off going to Luton or Gatwick ?

Either would be fine tbh - most of the trains to Watford go from Euston, which doesn't have good airport connections but is 400m from Kings Cross-St Pancras which has connections to both. Thetrainline is showing similar journey times for both.

Either would be fine tbh - most of the trains to Watford go from Euston, which doesn't have good airport connections but is 400m from Kings Cross-St Pancras which has connections to both. Thetrainline is showing similar journey times for both.
    Cheers prob go to Gatwick cause we intend to do a bit of sightseeing in london aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭henryd65

Hi all
    Travelling to Gatwich from Dublin for 3 nights looking for somewhere cheap to stay, want to do the Harry Potter studio tour in Watford so somewhere close to there would be great. Thanks in advance .

I am also going to the Harry Potter studio tour, in June with my son.

I booked the Premier Inn Euston as its near Euston station for the train to Watford.
    I also noticed a B+B/hotel near there, Jesmond Dene Hotel. It gets good reviews and it might suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

henryd65 wrote: »
    I am also going to the Harry Potter studio tour, in June with my son.

I booked the Premier Inn Euston as its near Euston station for the train to Watford.
    I also noticed a B+B/hotel near there, Jesmond Dene Hotel. It gets good reviews and it might suit.

Its a great day out , Presume you have pre booked because they only let 6000 per day in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

Anyone know how to get from stanstead to north east london? Do I have to come into the city centre to head to the north east?

Cheers for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭henryd65

galait wrote: »
    Its a great day out , Presume you have pre booked because they only let 6000 per day in

Everything booked now, thanks.

• Advertisement

Del007 wrote: »
    Anyone know how to get from stanstead to north east london? Do I have to come into the city centre to head to the north east?

Cheers for your help

Stansted Express to Tottenham Hale, or get one of the buses (National Express etc) to Stratford and work from there.

Advertisement