Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The run in....

Options
  • 27-03-2014 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭

There's a few mentions of this in other posts, but decided it probably warranted it's own thread.

What are people's thoughts/thinkings for the run in? With 7 GW left it's more about the players you want for those weeks rather than a "final team". For me, a few highlights....
    • Man City. 2 DGW's. Title chasing with no other competitions to distract. 5 clean sheets in a row. Handy last 6 games.
    • Man Utd. DGW for week 37, handy last 4 games. Looks good to get in from GW36
    • Norwich. Awful run-in. No point in having anyone there from GW34.
    • West Ham. Not a great run-in either. Liverpool, Arsenal and City in the last 6.
    Arsenal, Hull (FA Cup), and Chelsea and United (Champs League) are the only ones involved in other competitions.

I suppose in every season there's mid-table teams (Newcastle, Southampton) who will fizzle out.

Players going for the World Cup may be tempted to rest (if they're guaranteed a squad spot) to avoid injury (I'm looking at you RVP), players on the edge of squards may double their efforst (Lambart, Carroll).

Any other teams/players have nice run-ins that people are planning on stockpiling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Fant11

Tottenham have a very favourable last 6 fixtures after visiting Anfield this weekend. No Europa League commitments either. Eriksen and Chadli might be fancied. Chadli is playing behind the front man currently and could go on a run. Also, Swansea have a couple of great fuxtures on the horizon, so Bony will come into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Possibly gonna be built around 3 Liverpool players, currently SSS, but will more than likely be SaS and Gerrard, and then for the other DGWs,3 Everton Players, Coleman, Barkley, and Lukaku, and 2 City players, Zabaleta, and Yaya. Have most, just have to work in Barkley and Gerrard. Only other DGW player will be Mannone, who I already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Shedite27 wrote: »
    There's a few mentions of this in other posts, but decided it probably warranted it's own thread.

What are people's thoughts/thinkings for the run in? With 7 GW left it's more about the players you want for those weeks rather than a "final team". For me, a few highlights....
    • Man City. 2 DGW's. Title chasing with no other competitions to distract. 5 clean sheets in a row. Handy last 6 games.
    • Man Utd. DGW for week 37, handy last 4 games. Looks good to get in from GW36
    • Norwich. Awful run-in. No point in having anyone there from GW34.
    • West Ham. Not a great run-in either. Liverpool, Arsenal and City in the last 6.
    Arsenal, Hull (FA Cup), and Chelsea and United (Champs League) are the only ones involved in other competitions.

I suppose in every season there's mid-table teams (Newcastle, Southampton) who will fizzle out.

Players going for the World Cup may be tempted to rest (if they're guaranteed a squad spot) to avoid injury (I'm looking at you RVP), players on the edge of squards may double their efforst (Lambart, Carroll).

Any other teams/players have nice run-ins that people are planning on stockpiling?

Man United and Hull don't play in GW34 though. Do any other teams miss it?

In regard to players avoiding injury ahead of the World Cup, it also has to be pointed out that some will raise their game to make a late bid for a place e.g. Barkley at the minute.

Others may not be guaranteed a place and will continue to perform - I'm hoping that is the case with Lallana.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Honesty - my aim for the rest of the season is to get my team even more similar to my main rival's, hope he sticks the captaincy on Suarez most weeks (like me) and hope that my differentials will equal (if not beat) his. I've clawed back from 50 points behind to 12 points ahead and probably have an extra £1m to work with.

Currently have Coleman, Nolan, Hazard, Sturridge, Suarez, Lukaku in common. He has Zabaleta who I'll be bringing in next week for Evra, so this will bring us up to 7/11 identical starting players. After this we will likely play 4 of the below 5 as our differentials, and with Cahill and Azpil likely to play each week these can almost be crossed out as being negligible. I'll likely be dumping Mata for Silva/Barkley next week too. Worth noting his sub keeper doesn't play.
    Him vs Me
    Adrian vs Mannone/Marshall
    Mertesacker vs Skrtel
    Nasri vs Yaya
    Gerrard vs Mata/Silva/Barkley
    Cahill vs Azpil

I'll be gearing towards the DGW's but essentially the next few weeks will rest on the players in bold above. If Suarez is captain choice most weeks (bar the doubles) I really should be able to hold on to my lead unless Nasri goes nuts or Adrian starts saving pens. Nervous run in though! Would prefer if the gap was 25+.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

A big consideration for the run in must be the Aguero factor. Couple of key questions will be:

Will he come back gunning for a PL medal and keen to recapture his form ahead of the World Cup, or will he come back and try not to get injured for the World Cup?

Will Pellegrini revert to two strikers revolving around Aguero and one of the others, as was working well when he was fit? Or will he stick with the one out and out striker as has been so effective recently therefore limiting even Agueros game time? I tend to think he'll have to go back to the former with all 4 forwards fit, but this a key question not just for those looking at City forwards but also Silva and to some degree Yaya, although only Mr Prodston doesn't have him now. In the world. :)

Finally, will he trip on a daisy and break his hamstring in 6 places within 5 minutes of setting foot on grass?

He's a risk at this stage, but not everyone will be able to fit him back in their team that easily, and his potential rewards are huge. For those of us chasing leagues he could be worth it. Leaning towards him at present, but how I approach the rest of the season largely hinges on this decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

I agree 100% that the decision to get Aguero or not will be huge and my opinion is swaying day to day, I can't even make a transfer this week yet as it will depend on if I decide I want him or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Barkley a must i think he looks he will finish season well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Aguero "one week" from recovering: https://twitter.com/RobDawsonMEN/status/449528586090057728

If he proves himself before GW35 I'll look to bring him in; otherwise it will be Rooney.

Aguero "one week" from recovering: https://twitter.com/RobDawsonMEN/status/449528586090057728

If he proves himself before GW35 I'll look to bring him in; otherwise it will be Rooney.

If he returns for Southampton and doesn't break anything I'll probably be tempted to get him for a DGW34 which includes Sunderland at home, as well as a potential 6-6 draw at Anfield!! :)

Even when he returns though, City are having great results with a 4-2-3-1. Its going to take him a week or two to get match fit and, when he does, he could be playing 60 minutes max most games because City will have three other strikers to accomodate.

I'm a bigger fan of Aguero than Suarez but I do have huge worries about him going forward.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    Even when he returns though, City are having great results with a 4-2-3-1. Its going to take him a week or two to get match fit and, when he does, he could be playing 60 minutes max most games because City will have three other strikers to accomodate.

I'm a bigger fan of Aguero than Suarez but I do have huge worries about him going forward.

Agree that there are huge worries, but there's no guarantee that City will keep going with the lone striker when Aguero fit. If Aguero comes back to form he'll play, and I'd suspect they could go back to 2 up and Nasri could lose out, or Garcia.

I'm in the opposite place to you in heat I'm chasing a fairly big lead so might have to take the risk, of the three I'm chasing only one has Lukaku yet but I'd expect most will by the DGW, if not for this week.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how mad would it be to go into DGW34 without any Everton attackers.

I reckon my ideal would be Suarez, Lukaku and Aguero but don't have enough money or transfers to get there without-8 hit.

Doubt its worth it although I don't expect much from Sturridge v City.

FHFC wrote: »
    On a scale of 1 to 10 how mad would it be to go into DGW34 without any Everton attackers.

I reckon my ideal would be Suarez, Lukaku and Aguero but don't have enough money or transfers to get there without-8 hit.

As long as you have a viable DGW captain. I'll be going with Lukaku and hope he repays the -14 this week transferring Carroll out at a hit......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Aguero is brilliant but major question marks about his fitness. I'd have to see him come through a match first.

Good thing about Suarez, the man is never injured it seems and constantly running.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

could get naysmith if you really want one - he played really well at the weekend when he came on and he's less than 5m I think

Ace2007 wrote: »
    could get naysmith if you really want one - he played really well at the weekend when he came on and he's less than 5m I think

If I was gonna take a punt like that I think it would be for Deulofeu, which is something I was actually thinking about. I like the audacity of that move, I fear I am turning into Mr Prodston. :o

Aguero puts comeback on hold

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/296175.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Maybe he'll feature against Liverpool then

I've finally settled on a plan having got Zab in last night.

I now have exactly enough to get Barkley and Aguero in for the DGW for Dzeko and Gerrard, but this depends on the fitness noises coming from both, but I'm hoping both either make their squads this week, or miss out but are confirmed back for the next game. I may yet go for Ki as the midfield option as he has a second DGW.

I then have enough to drop Baines for Sagna after GW34 and get in Rooney for Sturridge before DGW37. That would give me Aguero, Rooney and Suarez for the run in, with Hazard, Lallana, Yaya and 2 cheap mids, as well as defenders from City, Arsenal, Chelsea, while for a 4th Def I'll either double on Chelsea (Cahill prob) or go for Man U with a view to mostly playing 433.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sergio-aguero-set-southampton-return-6911442

Some very interesting Aguero news from a very good source.

Apparently the interview in which he said he wouldn't be rushing his return was recorded a week earlier and he's likely to be on bench for Southampton.

Exactly the news I for one was hoping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Aguero has been in full training all week so might ruffle a few feathers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Excellent. Get him in and possibly captain for the DGW, and have the Southampton game to see if his hammies hold up.

Excellent. Get him in and possibly captain for the DGW, and have the Southampton game to see if his hammies hold up.

The problem with captaining him is what if he breaks down again after five minutes.

I expect City to try and have him ready to feature for a good part of the Liverpool game.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sergio-aguero-set-southampton-return-6911442

Some very interesting Aguero news from a very good source.

Apparently the interview in which he said he wouldn't be rushing his return was recorded a week earlier and he's likely to be on bench for Southampton.

Exactly the news I for one was hoping for.
    http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/2014/April/City-v-Saints-presser-story

Still don't think I'll pull the trigger until GW35 at the earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Shedite27

PRobably doing the same. Have 1.5m sitting in my bank waiting for his triumphant return. Seems to be a waste of money the longer it goes on.

I'll now be going with Silva, Yaya and a City defender as my City cover for GW34.

I wouldn't take a chance on Aguero now until GW35 at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Silva, Yaya and Dzeko for me. Dzeko probably is a waste of a transfer whether it be in or out but not the worst player to be punting on for those already owning him! Had worked out a route to bring in Aguero for Sturridge so now I have a bit of money to play with which is always nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Working out my transfers for the next 6 GW's and Rooney is starting to look like a must. Also getting the captaincy right in GW37 could be the definitive point for some. Rooney, Yaya, Silva etc all with double gameweeks... but its tough to look past SAS against Palace.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/2014/April/City-v-Saints-presser-story

Pity. Would have liked to see him get 20mins this weekend.

Chasing my league though so will probably chance him for the DGW.

Captaincy not so sure though.

roryc wrote: »
    Working out my transfers for the next 6 GW's and Rooney is starting to look like a must. Also getting the captaincy right in GW37 could be the definitive point for some. Rooney, Yaya, Silva etc all with double gameweeks... but its tough to look past SAS against Palace.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/9249741/premier-league-manchester-united-boss-david-moyes-says-robin-van-persie-back-soon

Hadn't seen this before. With Rooney not 100% and RVP possibly returning it complicates the Utd options for GW37. Mata looks more of a must but even then there's no guarantee Moyes won't inexplicably shift him out of his best position again.

• Advertisement

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/9249741/premier-league-manchester-united-boss-david-moyes-says-robin-van-persie-back-soon

Hadn't seen this before. With Rooney not 100% and RVP possibly returning it complicates the Utd options for GW37. Mata looks more of a must but even then there's no guarantee Moyes won't inexplicably shift him out of his best position again.

If RVP is back, Mata may not be as essential as I thought. Moyes will more than likely stick him out on the wing again.

Advertisement