Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working while hungover

• 27-03-2014 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Anyone ever done this? I'm absolutely dying from last night, my mouth is as dry as a carpet and the clock seems to be ticking very, very slowly.

I also spilled coffee all over my desk this morning... :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"Working, like sleeping, should never be done sober"

- some drunk who lost his job shortly after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

I remember my first beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭Daith

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Anyone ever done this? I'm absolutely dying from last night, my mouth is as dry as a carpet and the clock seems to be ticking very, very slowly.

In Ireland? Doubtful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Lick your desk. win/win. You'll have a clean desk, your mouth won't be dry and the coffee will give you a boost.

Anyone ever done this?

Regularly in any job I've had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Shinyboots75

Yea, used to do this all the time, out on Monday night, hit the nightclub, home by 4 and in work for 9.00....glad i gave up the booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Used to do it constantly of a Wednesday and friday(Tuesdays and Thursdays were the going out nights) I found the day flew..hangover only really kicked in around lunch time as I'd still be drunk up to that point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I always have a bottle of Diet Coke (nicely laced with Jack Daniels) in the desk drawer for such an occasion. No problem drinking it in the open plan office.... although Jenny from Accounts once asked for a slug of it and I promptly had to tell her to "gway and bite my shíte". She hasn't spoken to me since. Small price to pay for the midweek midworkday buzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I've been at work hungover.

I don't think it's accurate to say I was actually working though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

did it countless times, i used to be pissed in work a lot of the time too, comes with working in a pub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Have a cup of man the fcuk up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Windy Bum

work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Windy Bum wrote: »
    work?

thats Celtic Tiger talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If you had some real outdoor work instead of a desk job your hangover wouldn't last long.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

You just go in & do the job half assed, it's the Irish way.
    Getting pulled for being over the limit driving in is bad form from the guards though.
    Everyone knows 5 units on the way up is a completely different buzz to 5 units on the way down.

Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Working half cut/hangover - one of our most endearing cultural traditions :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ezekel

I spent my twenties working hungover - was great for the career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Sam Kade wrote: »
    If you had some real outdoor work instead of a desk job your hangover wouldn't last long.

That is so true, I used to work doin landscaping, would get collected around half 7 in the morning and would be asleep in the van driving to the job (stinking up the van aswell) and fine come 10:30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I've posted this before on here, but it's perfect for this thread.

I used to work in a factory, with different shifts. 7-3pm, or 3-11pm.

I was on the morning shift, but went out anyway, and got truly wrecked. Got up to find my trousers from the day before on the floor, stepped straight back into them, and off I went. Got my usual lift to work which must have been disgusting for the person driving.

Got to work and started my job, which was making these big fuses that usually fit into huge fridges or freezers like you'd see in supermarkets. Did this for a while, but was still drunk as hell and couldn't see straight at all.

So I went to the back-up stock, which is supposed to be used when the machine is broken down, loaded as many as would fit onto the production line, and headed to the toilets for some sleep.

slept for about 2 hours, and got back just as the last of the back-up fuses was about to disappear off the line. a nosey co-worker asked me where I'd been and I gave a vague mumble about working 'over there', which was a complete lie as people were only trained on one machine usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Plazaman wrote: »
    I always have a bottle of Diet Coke (nicely laced with Jack Daniels) in the desk drawer for such an occasion. No problem drinking it in the open plan office.... although Jenny from Accounts once asked for a slug of it and I promptly had to tell her to "gway and bite my shíte". She hasn't spoken to me since. Small price to pay for the midweek midworkday buzz.

ooooohhhhh that's gettin knicked :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

But of course. How bad it is can depend on the job. Wouldn't want to wear an intel style space suit hung-over although I am sure it has happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Frynge wrote: »
    That is so true, I used to work doin landscaping, would get collected around half 7 in the morning and would be asleep in the van driving to the job (stinking up the van aswell) and fine come 10:30.

It has its downsides though, yeah your hangover works of quicker but you can't wander off to the coffee machine every 40 minutes and there is nothing more grim than a dodgy belly a bad head and having to use a stinking portaloo :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

It has its downsides though, yeah your hangover works of quicker but you can't wander off to the coffee machine every 40 minutes and there is nothing more grim than a dodgy belly a bad head and having to use a stinking portaloo :(

There was never a portaloo, worst was behind that tree I'm about to cut down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Used too, very rarely, back in the day.

It's torture so I never ever do it now and haven't for years. I'm a cranky bítch when hungover too and don't want to inflict that on co-workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Work in a bar and it comes part and parcel of the job, did it for years, you actually get used to it after awhile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭asteroth

Had a job as a valet carparker in a ritzy country club in New York. So went out one night, got crocked and stayed with a girl who worked there. She went to sleep and I just stayed up watching TV and drinking all her beer. She drove me to work the next day and I was stewed. The lads at work just lay me out on one of the sofas in the carparker's shack and threw some jackets over me. I wasn't hungover, I was bombed and now I had also been up for 24 hours. If I had attempted to park someone's car I would have wrapped it round a tree. They let me sleep in the shack for a few hours and then sent my ass home after lunch. Good call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I'm ****ing pissed as a sewer rat.
    Do sewer rats even get pissed?
    I don't even know.
    And I'm on the "overnight duty" on a major news desk in UK.
    I've just sent a few random emails to random people I work with flagging some random news stories that no-one really gives a **** about. Thailand politics? Sumatran tiger cubs in London Zoo? This is the **** we should all be worried about.
    What's most worrying is how articulate I am whilst **** faced.
    People will think I'm genuinely sober and care about this ****.

Anyone for a game of ping pong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Are you Kay Burley?! 'beks101'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

beks101 wrote: »
    I don't even know.
    I've just sent a few random emails to random people I work with flagging some random news stories that no-one really gives a **** about. Thailand politics? Sumatran tiger cubs in London Zoo? This is the **** we should all be worried about.

Tut tut tut. Disgraceful. Hope you weren't as bad as that mess you sent home to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I guess the real question is: Has anyone not done this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Now I don't mean to be rude but if ever there was a stupid question!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭JP85

The way i look at it, if your going to be hungover, you might aswell get paid for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Another society-wide hypocrisy on drug use/abuse is revealed.

Never ceases to amaze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,563 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

JP85 wrote: »
    The way i look at it, if your going to be hungover, you might aswell get paid for it

exactly...im not getting paid to be hungover on a Saturday or sunday, might as well work while I feel like sh1te

Spunge wrote: »

Never ceases to amaze.

What are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Only very occasionally these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Spunge wrote: »

Never ceases to amaze.
    What are you on about?
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I don't even know.

To be honest, the way "news" is reported (misreported) and transmitted, this post doesn't surprise me. Much is irrelevant anyway.

It's not like the world will stop turning from the reporting/not reporting of some random story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I don't even know.

I have no memory of writing this.
    Really scared to check my Sent Emails now. REALLY SCARED.
    BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Tut tut tut. Disgraceful. Hope you weren't as bad as that mess you sent home to me!

Just as bad if not worse :eek::eek::eek:
    She's some woman for one woman though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

MonstaMash wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

I think im allowed to have a high-horse when the same people who abuse alcohol so much it effects their work and is laughed off as a part of life whereas if it was any other drug you would be shunned by society.

Personally i take drugs specifically to do work and stay sober in my free time. Using amphetamines or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭anotherposter

best job ever would be beer taster at a brewery. get paid to be drunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

amazing to think my 19 year old self used to booze until 2am and get up at 6 for work, (6am that is !)

Advertisement