Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

frugal telly and broadband

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

My sky box wouldn't show the FTA channels without the card inserted.

So I purchased a card on Adverts, to allow this.

Example:
    http://touch.adverts.ie/satellite/sky-uk-white-freesat-viewing-card-hd/4867776

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I have an old UPC box could I get FTA on that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

deelite wrote: »
    I have an old UPC box could I get FTA on that?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Spike78

I would appreciate some advise. I returned to ireland from the uk last year, I have been using my uk sky card which I have continued to pay my subscription on. I now want to cancel the subscription however this will mean loosing rte as it is not fta in uk. The tv I have has built in freeview from the uk.
    What is my best option to get rte ie. can I get a saor view box and connect to tv along with the fta uk from sky using a splitter of some sort.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Spike78 wrote: »
    I would appreciate some advise. I returned to ireland from the uk last year, I have been using my uk sky card which I have continued to pay my subscription on. I now want to cancel the subscription however this will mean loosing rte as it is not fta in uk. The tv I have has built in freeview from the uk.
    What is my best option to get rte ie. can I get a saor view box and connect to tv along with the fta uk from sky using a splitter of some sort.
    RTE is not FTA in GB, it is free to air in Northern Ireland.

It's down to the cost of rights issues. For BBC/C4/ITN the extra costs of paying for the overspill for the 15% that don't pay already pay for UK TV is less than the encryption. There's no way RTE couldn't pay the right holders going the other way.

If you are on the west coast of Wales you might get some overspill , if you have a big enough TV aerial , high enough.

RTE also broadcast by satellite - SaorSat.
    BUT it's KA band where they reuse frequencies in small spot beams. The one that covers the Island of Ireland means you will get perfect reception in parts of West Wales and 5 miles down the road you will get nothing. It's great example of the digital cliff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Spike78

Thanks for reply.
    In essence my problem is I have fta from uk already, what is the most frugal system to add the rte stations. I want to keep the fta from the uk as my wife watches some of the regional stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Spike78 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply.
    In essence my problem is I have fta from uk already, what is the most frugal system to add the rte stations. I want to keep the fta from the uk as my wife watches some of the regional stations.

Pick up a cheap saorview box for RTE unless your tv can already pick up saorview.The best option is a combo box which has both satellite & terrestrial channels and negates the need for 2 boxes and extra remotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dwasol

if I get a saorview television which allows me to watch the Irish channels & I plug the Sky FTA box into the back of the television I then have all irish & UK terrestrial channels?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Basically yeah - you'll have the 4 Irish channels + 3E and a FTA box will get you the main UK channels. There's a small number they get on DTT that aren't free on satellite but nothing worth worrying over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

dwasol wrote: »
    if I get a saorview television which allows me to watch the Irish channels & I plug the Sky FTA box into the back of the television I then have all irish & UK terrestrial channels?

you will still need either an indoor or an outdoor aerial to pick up saorview.
    and a satellite dish to pick up fta channels

• Advertisement
Advertisement