Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Males and how they are portrayed in the media including in advertising

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Vincent Browne "people's debate" on TV3 last night was basically a free for all attack on men (although to be fair, one or two contributors at least tried to suggest that we should work on solving societal problems together - however these suggestions were met with awkward silence while men-bashing was cheered to the rafters)

Ironic that a people-s debate had an all-woman audience but there you go, TV3 is going bust anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

donfers wrote: »
    Ironic that a people-s debate had an all-woman audience but there you go, TV3 is going bust anyway
    As is often the case, there would be an easy way to have balance: also have an all-men debate. But don't expect it will happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Vincent Browne "people's debate" on TV3 last night was basically a free for all attack on men (although to be fair, one or two contributors at least tried to suggest that we should work on solving societal problems together - however these suggestions were met with awkward silence while men-bashing was cheered to the rafters)

Well it's fortunate IMO that the days of TV as we know it (traditional one way media) are numbered. One big advantage with the internet is its' interactive nature where content is much more open to question. I watch so little TV these days because I use the internet so much - thanks goodness for that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

...and in my mind, traditional media is becoming less and less relevant - particularly to ordinary men like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

Middle Man wrote: »
    Well it's fortunate IMO that the days of TV as we know it (traditional one way media) are numbered. One big advantage with the internet is its' interactive nature where content is much more open to question. I watch so little TV these days because I use the internet so much - thanks goodness for that!
    As well as discussion boards like boards.ie, Twitter has also democratized TV in terms of commentary.

Also for added freedom with commentary, just like with boards.ie, one can set up an anonymous Twitter account to comment on programmes and the like, ideally using the programme's hashtag to increase the number of people who see the comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

jellyboy wrote: »
    I'm not sure that a group of men shouting unsolicited opinions at individual women is the picture of a progressive male attitude I'd like to be associated with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

With regards to soap operas it is perfectly acceptable to ridicule men. Coronation Street is a perfect example of this. Even acts of violence by women towards men is seen as either humorous or empowering. While there are the odd female characters that are idiots, it seems that the vast majority of the male characters are stupid or drunk/cheating/murderers.

Obviously the show would not get away with it if the roles were reversed. In fact, they wouldn't be stupid enough to attempt it. I'm assuming the vast majority of its viewers are female.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Middle Man wrote: »

I agree and to be honest I am quite heartened that the kind of liberal fascist agenda that we see shoehorned into politically fashionable websites/newspapers ad nauseum is generally smashed to pieces in the comments section or wherever any kind of interaction is enabled. Despite newspaper and industry editors being slaves to an agenda that tolerates and even actively encourages hate speech on the cool side of the fence and is too spineless to publish any dissent of it - well the comments sections reflect the wisdom of the crowd who see through the bs and lately more and more are calling the hypocrites on it.

Advertisement