Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What chainring and cassette for hilly races

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

nooneuno wrote: »
    Mamore Gap should test that theory. :-)
    Challenge accepted will be summer before I get up there though. I quite like short steep stuff like that.
    Sorry to hijack, but just on this - I have the new Ultegra 6800 11 speed, but it's a compact and would like to change (at least the front) to a standard - 53 - is it litterally as easy as buying a new 53 front ring and swapping them out?

You could but you really need to change the small ring as well or shifting will be awful. Inner rings are a lot cheaper though. There is a new 52/36 semi compact option you could consider. New shimano is 4 hole 110bcd. There are a few after market options but shimano rings probably give the best shifting.

Whether is worth changing is the issue 50*11 is higher gear than 53*12. Do you feel you need the extra gear at the top end. I've been riding a standard for last couple of years recently got a compact for the winter bike I'm not mad about the big drop in gears to the small ring. Handy when I'm tired to be able to sit and spin but most of the gears I have in the 34 ring are lower than I need most of the time so end up shifting up and down on the front a lot more than I'm used to. The compact really doesn't like cross chaining either. I try and avoid it but 39*11 or 53*25 is fine on my Sram rival/ standard FSA cranks setup. My shimano 105 compact really doesn't like it starts complaining if I'm close to cross chaining and will throw the chain if I do. I might swap the inner ring for a 36 hopefully helps a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ryath wrote: »
    Challenge accepted will be summer before I get up there though. I quite like short steep stuff like that.
    Enjoy! :D

GapofMamoreSign_zps36484689.jpg

GapofMamoreAscent_zpsccc55a05.jpg

Advertisement