Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So anyone have their cows back inside?

Options
  • 24-03-2014 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

Couldn't resist :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Nope, still out, grazing westerwolds this evening and probably tomorrow as well then back to paddocks should have dried out by then
    Miserable day here to day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

dar31 wrote: »
    Nope, still out, grazing westerwolds this evening and probably tomorrow as well then back to paddocks should have dried out by then
    Miserable day here to day

What do they milk like of the westerwolds dar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

In with the last 2 days, only a days grazing left on dry paddocks and heavyish covers on the wetter half of the farm. Pit silage gone so breaking up baled silage for diet feeder, pain in the hole so it is

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Brought mine in an hr before milking this evening to pick at silage, and they were glad of it, all rushed up the field and into the shed! So I didn't send them out till 9pm, thats about as good as it gets for them ha. Weather has died down now, and they have a sheltered paddock for the night!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

they ran into the shed this morning after milking **** knows when they be back out again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

they ran into the shed this morning after milking **** knows when they be back out again.
    A cold miserable b@stard of a day I wouldn't blame them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Ah we don't have them out yet....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Remember this post? Stop bitching and suck it up, you asked for this weather!!

wouldnt mind this weather last til may just to piss the "experts" off, while the rest of us laugh at them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

I put them in last November.

Didn't get them out yet as I couldn't find my platemeter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭maxxuumman

Remember this post? Stop bitching and suck it up, you asked for this weather!!

wouldnt mind this weather last til may just to piss the "experts" off, while the rest of us laugh at them

Frazz, you should put the quote in quotes, when I read it first I thought you had finally lost it. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

mf240 wrote: »
    I put them in last November.

Didn't get them out yet as I couldn't find my platemeter.

Use d wellie tis cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Cows here have been getting 10 kgs dm plus indoors for the past few days. Very glad of the wholecrop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stop thelights

Cows back in since yesterday. Won't be on till tomorrow or thurs as the weather is picking up then. Wet next Monday again tho according to long range. So still getting silage maize and beet and we'll play it by ear

My cows were up in milk this morning.
    Don't know why lads think they can't handle it.
    Are the cows in for your comfort or there's?
    Granted I gave the 2kgs of our mix if meal but they weren't kept in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Mine have been out 5 weeks day and night, running low on grass now. starting to feed silage in the evening before letting them out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Cows on wholecrop, small bit of silage and 2.5 kg maize meal with .5k of molasses in diet feeder and another 3kg of 18% ration in parlour. Doing jusr under 27 litres at 3.52 protein. Their out on grass with this diet. Getting 20kg of this diet per cow rest on grass. Their happy out.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Cows on wholecrop, small bit of silage and 2.5 kg maize meal with .5k of molasses in diet feeder and another 3kg of 18% ration in parlour. Doing jusr under 27 litres at 3.52 protein. Their out on grass with this diet. Getting 20kg of this diet per cow rest on grass. Their happy out.

Are they putting it away everyday? On the better days ours could leave some of it. Sunday they left a lot as the day improved so much from when I fed them until they came back in. I was glad it was in the passage on Mon morning though as it started chucking it down at 7 so they had something to chew on for an hour or two. I'd say they'll be back on to around 6kg DM today and we'll see what Thurs brings.

Are they putting it away everyday? On the better days ours could leave some of it. Sunday they left a lot as the day improved so much from when I fed them until they came back in. I was glad it was in the passage on Mon morning though as it started chucking it down at 7 so they had something to chew on for an hour or two. I'd say they'll be back on to around 6kg DM today and we'll see what Thurs brings.

Yea some days they don't eat as much do the next day I compromise. I cut out silage and some wholecrop if needed. Clean the face on 3rd day if its not spotless and give that to maiden heifers.

Works fine.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Yea some days they don't eat as much do the next day I compromise. I cut out silage and some wholecrop if needed. Clean the face on 3rd day if its not spotless and give that to maiden heifers.

Works fine.

Unless you're short of grass I'd cut out the grass silage. You could probabaly get most of the 20kgs(Fresh I'm assuming) into them in a couple of hours in the afternoon without it and get them back out at night if it wasn't raining. Even if the grass silage is 80+ it's not as good as the grass at this stage.

Unless you're short of grass I'd cut out the grass silage. You could probabaly get most of the 20kgs(Fresh I'm assuming) into them in a couple of hours in the afternoon without it and get them back out at night if it wasn't raining. Even if the grass silage is 80+ it's not as good as the grass at this stage.

Yes but its good to stretch the thr wholecrop. I prefer a bit of silage to all grass silage. Think ill be buffer feefing until mid April if this weather continues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭stanflt

Cows stayed out all day yesterday and no problems

Doing 33litres but in at night

Weighed all the cows yesterday- 616kg avg

So I delivered 1.09 kg ms per kg lw last year or 0,48 kg protein per kg lw

• Registered Users Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

stanflt wrote: »
    Cows stayed out all day yesterday and no problems

Doing 33litres but in at night

Weighed all the cows yesterday- 616kg avg

So I delivered 1.09 kg ms per kg lw last year or 0,48 kg protein per kg lw

What dose ur buffer consist of stan??.33 Ltrs is good going and diet must be bang on to achieve that.mine edging towards 31 ltrs now on just grass ,5-8 kg hi maize 18 in parlour and hi quality wraps at nights..will start secobd round 06/4.hope weather comes as good as promised next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Kept them in yesterday, out again today. Dry and a good drying breeze there now. Low on suitable silage for milkers so don't want many more days inside.
    Ever consider the fact others have different land and get different weather to you?

Keenan having a meeting in local dairy farm today at 2 about buffer feeding and maize.
    Will be interesting but they are holding it on a lads farm that doesn't believe in grass and let'l the cows run around the whole farm in Feb and now there back in the shed as he has no grass

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

My cows were up in milk this morning.
    Granted I gave the 2kgs of our mix if meal but they weren't kept in
    Greengrass1 Have you considered other lads situation. Heavy land require great care and that a defination of a good farmer. Thats a fair reason to be in,its not for the comfort of you or cows. Have our cow out by day when it allows but have to stay indoor when condition deteroriate. There is no proplem been a good farmer if you have dry land and they can be out fulltime. But when your paddocks are swimming after rainfall you cant go out until there is some drying and we dont get much of that. Unfortunately alot of posters on here appear to be on dry land and or lightly stocked. Would love to be out fulltime but it is not realistic .Maybe a little consideration to others may be nice.

Keenan having a meeting in local dairy farm today at 2 about buffer feeding and maize.
    Will be interesting but they are holding it on a lads farm that doesn't believe in grass and let'l the cows run around the whole farm in Feb and now there back in the shed as he has no grass

U should go greengrass u could learn an afull lot there.be slow to criticise a high input /output system because these guys are incredibly well tuned in on how to correctly feed and manage their cows.u previously posted that u will start second round next week and ur first paddock has barely 800 in it.u could yet need to buffer feed hard for a while in april

joejobrien wrote: »
    Greengrass1 Have you considered other lads situation. Heavy land require great care and that a defination of a good farmer. Thats a fair reason to be in,its not for the comfort of you or cows. Have our cow out by day when it allows but have to stay indoor when condition deteroriate. There is no proplem been a good farmer if you have dry land and they can be out fulltime. But when your paddocks are swimming after rainfall you cant go out until there is some drying and we dont get much of that. Unfortunately alot of posters on here appear to be on dry land and or lightly stocked. Would love to be out fulltime but it is not realistic .Maybe a little consideration to others may be nice.

Fully agree,excelkent post..like greengrass I had cows out early and as much as I could when weather allowed.i envy ye guys on wet marginal land and how ye manage.which leads me back to greenfield kk which sone here see as the holy grail and think we all should be doing what they did in feb..have cows out when u wouldn't put the dog out,poach paddocks and underfed cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

Well my own situation is fragmented farm with a lot of poor land at home. A lot of which has been shored over the years.

All the silage ground is in small bits up to three miles away. So grazing from April to Oct would be all that's achievable really.

I've filled my quota though so the bit Greengrass has left will be a help.

joejobrien wrote: »

Point taken I agree

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

mahoney_j wrote: »
    U should go greengrass u could learn an afull lot there.be slow to criticise a high input /output system because these guys are incredibly well tuned in on how to correctly feed and manage their cows.u previously posted that u will start second round next week and ur first paddock has barely 800 in it.u could yet need to buffer feed hard for a while in april

Damn good advice for everyone Mahoney.

Advertisement