Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Half your age plus seven years

• 24-03-2014 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

So, this amusing rule of thumb has been around a while now. But does it suit you? I'm on a phone, so I would like to add a poll, but can't.

Anyway, I'm 33, so my LOWEST age is 23.5.

I can safely say I would rather be kicked in the face by a donkey than date someone that age. What a nightmare that would be.

I'm talking about a relationship here, not a one nighter.

How about your lower band age?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

If there is grass on the pitch, play ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

So, this amusing rule of thumb has been around a while now. But does it suit you? I'm on a phone, so I would like to add a poll, but can't.

Anyway, I'm 33, so my ideal age is 23.5.

I can safely say I would rather be kicked in the face by a donkey than date someone that age. What a nightmare that would be.

Is half your age plus 7, not the minimum age you should date? Or some sh*t like that rather than your ideal age??

Personally I could never date someone younger than me, I'm 22. Have an older bf, have never gone out with anyone the same age as me or younger.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Anyway, I'm 33, so my ideal age is 23.5.

It's not a rule for the ideal age it's the LOWEST age of someone you should date and not feel awkward about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It's not a rule for the ideal age it's the LOWEST age of someone you should date and not feel awkward about it.

You're right. Edited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

wazky wrote: »

Enjoy your jail time.

Works out at 20 for me, about right. From what I've found 18 and 19 year old girls are incredibly immature these days(although I guess everyone was, you just don't realise it) it'd probably start to improve at 20 but I'd say 22 or 23 would be my lowest with the current being 22

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Are you a T.D by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

We follow the 2 year rule here
    Allowances for milfs/gilfs and/or cougars :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

The lowest I should be dating is 25. My gf is 26.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057173089

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Anyway, I'm 33, so my LOWEST age is 23.5.

Wouldn't want to date you either!!!

I'm ok for my OH according to this.
    He's 31 and I'm 22.

I'd never date an 18 year old though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Me = 23

With your rule of thumb my 'ideal' age would be 18.5.

Nah you're alright, cheers! I can imagine being in a completely different head space to an 18 year old right now, considering how much i've developed and changed since i was 18...big life shift at that age.

But there are always exceptions I suppose..

My current squeeze is 21 and i'm perfectly content with that. Great battles of wit and sass that I usually end up losing :) She's a sharpie.

Edit - that rule of thumb does sort of work in the context of 'youngest date without it being awkward'.....17 for me would be right on the ragged edge as far as social acceptance goes, never mind maturity and compatibility etc...!

mauzo! wrote: »

He's 31 and I'm 22.

Don't be offended, I just find the level of emotional maturity of women your age to be underdeveloped. I prefer mature women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

My lowest works out at 31.5 :D

I'd love me some sweet 31.5 year old action. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Half your IQ minus 2.

mauzo! wrote: »

He's 31 and I'm 22.

Ah it's just personal choice. Chazzy obviously hasn't met us mauzo. ;) We'll probably be saying the same when we're in out 30's. :P

Yeah...I don't think I would ever go out with an 18 year old. :-/

Don't be offended, I just find the level of emotional maturity of women your age to be underdeveloped. I prefer mature women.

Tongue in cheek, don't worry! I won't be crying over you while listening to Taylor Swift :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Scotty P

Wonder how many five and half year olds will read this and then go looking for a ten year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Half your age plus seven years in Tibet.
    Brad Pitts rule when adopting children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

21 and a half

My Richard the Third is 23

B-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My lowest is 29. My wife is 31.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

Bring on the 24.5 yr olds il ate them up and spit them out:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Half your IQ minus 2.

That just applies to people who say things like "...if there's grass on the pitch" doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

So, this amusing rule of thumb has been around a while now. But does it suit you?

Just a reminder to all the wanna-be stud-muffin pimps posting here! Big big difference between relationships and 'just sex'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

17.5. At least its legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭knarkypants

Where my bf is concerned his result of 31.5 is bang on.

He's 49 and I'm 31. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I'll be 34 later this year, I think the youngest I could get into a relationship with now is around 30. Which is in stark contrast to me in my mid to late 20s :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

27 for me, but I could never date a younger man, my husband is 5 years older than me.

azezil wrote: »
    I'll be 34 later this year, I think the youngest I could get into a relationship with now is around 30. Which is in stark contrast to me in my mid to late 20s :pac:

I know. My late 20s were a bloody disgrace...

azezil wrote: »
    I know. My late 20s were a bloody disgrace...

Oh, juicy stories....I'll go get the popcorn. Do tell. :)

• Advertisement

maguic24 wrote: »
    Oh, juicy stories....I'll go get the popcorn. Do tell. :)

Ah, I was just mad for getting young ones, like an 18 year old German au pair, for example. Just for the fact she was young. It seems silly to me now. But we had fun, no harm came of it. I always treat women with respect, and make sure things are clear, at the start, regarding whether its a bit of fun or not.

Ah, I was just mad for getting young ones, like an 18 year old German au pair, for example. Just for the fact she was young. It seems silly to me now. But we had fun, no harm came of it. I always treat women with respect, and make sure things are clear, at the start, regarding whether its a bit of fun or not.

You wouldn't wanted to have fun with me when I was 18....emotional time bomb waiting to explode. Right up until I was 20, I was a head case with not a clue how to deal with my emotions.

You wouldn't wanted to have fun with me when I was 18....emotional time bomb waiting to explode. Right up until I was 20, I was a head case with not a clue how to deal with my emotions.

That German one really had her head screwed on, to be fair. But viewing her timeline on Facebook was do bad, it didnt take much scrolling to see her playing the flute in the school band. Eww.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

27 for me, but I could never date a younger man, my husband is 5 years older than me.

Your husband will be pleased...

That German one really had her head screwed on, to be fair. But viewing her timeline on Facebook was do bad, it didnt take much scrolling to see her playing the flute in the school band. Eww.

I'm so confused by this post. Did she actually play the flute or is that a reference to a willy? :confused:

I'm so confused by this post. Did she actually play the flute or is that a reference to a willy? :confused:

The literal flute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

To be fair, I find that synthetic all-weather pitches offer an excellent playing alternative during the winter months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I'm 30 on Thursday and have celebrated a 21st birthday of a partner 3 times in the last 5 years. See nothing wrong with it.

In saying that once I tip over the hill this week I'll likely up the minimum age to 25...

roryc wrote: »
    I'm 30 on Thursday and have celebrating a 21st birthday of a partner 3 times in the last 5 years. See nothing wrong with it.

In saying that once I tip over the hill this week I'll likely up the minimum age to 25...

She's been 21 the last 5 years? What? :eek: Is she a vamp? I'm jelly. :P

She's been 21 the last 5 years? What? :eek: Is she a vamp? I'm jelly. :P

Haha, three different girls. Unfortunately I live in a place that see's a lot of people come and go. One of them is sailing around the world working on a yacht, another is backpacking around Australia and the third moved back to London.

I did get a bit of stick over the last few years but to be honest it generally is jealousy. Currently seeing a 29 year old so that was a bit of a combo breaker :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

19 is the lowest for me according to that rule, but I'd always tend to go for older guys, my current partner is 29 and I'm just gone 24 which is grand.

Sex is different though because it doesn't really matter if they're mature or not, but I think I'd feel weird doing it with a teenager even if they were 19. On the other hand though I've been with much older guys and not found it strange but if it was reversed and I was their age I'd feel like an absolute creep.

• Advertisement

Doesn't need to be said but it's a lot easier for women to date older men than vice versa. I've been in relationships with girls 7/8 years younger than me, but strangely enough have never strayed more than a couple of years older. Not a fan of cougars!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Garrigai

If there's no grass on the pitch, play in the mud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

31, can live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

20...I reckon maturity wise that'd be far too young though. Depends on the person I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Meh, things like this rely on everybody maturing physically, mentally and emotionally in some kind of uniform homogeneous fashion. Which of course is nonsense and doesn't happen. I've known 18 year olds who were far more mature than some 26 year olds I've known. As long as you're not breaking any laws or taking advantage of anyone then take each person as they come as individuals and screw what anyone else thinks, says I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Any girls out there age 39.5 for a bit of an unbridled snooze after Judge Judy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

17.5 haha that'll do donkey,that'll do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Hmm... 27 so... half of 27+7=34/2=... 17.

Cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Mine works out at 20...

Sounds about right as an absolute minimum, although I can't see myself relating to someone that young tbh.

23+ would be my ideal range - I'm 26

Ficheall wrote: »
    Hmm... 27 so... half of 27+7=34/2=... 17.

Cool.

Half your age plus 7, not add 7 to your age and divide by 2!

• Advertisement
Advertisement