Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much of Irish animal feed used is Non GMO?

Options
  • 24-03-2014 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Excluding anything labeled organic, is there anyone feeding non GMO feed to animals?

Sorry, meant to post this in farming section rather than smallholding. I'm sure lots of small holders seek out non gmo feed.?

Im trying to find out if we are eating and drinking gmo fed dairy, poultry and meat as a given, if we are shopping in a supermarket?

Anyone point me in the direction of finding out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I buy specifically non-GM feed for my hens.
    Its hard enough to find :( its more expensive too.
    There are 2 brands that I buy that are GM-FREE. Unfortunately the usual standard Pellets that majority of people use, are not clearly labelled, and people are unaware of the GM ingredient(s)

You can find lists of GM foods on the internet - here are some useful sites/articles:

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1112915266/list-of-gmo-foods-080513/

ww.foe.co.uk/campaigns/biodiversity/press_for_change/asda_rolls_back_on_gm_23592.html

www.thegrocer.co.uk/fmcg/...tescos...gm.../238400.article

Theres a Facebook 'petition' to prevent GM foods in EU supermarkets (without correct labelling) - on

https://www.facebook.com/NoToGMOFoods

According to The Telegraph most UK supermarkets are selling meat from animals reared on GM feeds - assume same is true of Ireland??
    www.telegraph.co.ukFood and Drink

Any feed that contains soya is likely GM. The alternative to provide the protein part of the diet used to be meat and bone meal but thats a no-no these days.

Its a fair assumption that all animals have, at some time in their lives, eaten feed containing GM ingredients. There isn't enough non GM protein available in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

mrswalton wrote: »
    Excluding anything labeled organic, is there anyone feeding non GMO feed to animals?

Sorry, meant to post this in farming section rather than smallholding. I'm sure lots of small holders seek out non gmo feed.?

Im trying to find out if we are eating and drinking gmo fed dairy, poultry and meat as a given, if we are shopping in a supermarket?

Anyone point me in the direction of finding out?

I would say your only hope to avoid GM fed animals is to rear your own and that way you'll control their diet. There isn't enough of a customer base with such conviction to make it a viable market for stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

aonb wrote: »
    There are 2 brands that I buy that are GM-FREE. Unfortunately the usual standard Pellets that majority of people use, are not clearly labelled, and people are unaware of the GM ingredient(s)

What brands are they aonb and how much do they cost? I'm just using the standard Dairygold pellets that I get from the local Coop - they cost <€9 for a 25kg bag - but I've been thinking of switching to something better. I want my hens to live long healthy lives. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

The 2 brands that I can get locally are FANCY FEEDS Layers Pellets,They are 10.95 I believe, and SMALLHOLDERS Layers Pellets - I havent bought the latter for a while, so Im not sure how much, but both are GM free. (I also buy Fancy Feeds Mixed Corn - either 9.95 or 11.95 - they are either E1 more or less than the pellets)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 martinmc32

we have to be careful because "layers pellets" also are gm you have to ask for organic layers pellets which cost around 17 euro for 25kg which is quiet expensive so i also buy rolled barley and feed them 2:1 barley:pellets which is working i have 19 hens and get 13 eggs average per day (not bad) also when i can get oyster shells i crush them up and add to there feed . its so scary to think gm is everywhere now ,if you look at any of the feeds for sheep cows or pigs they all contain gm corn and soya so unfortunately every day we are consuming them from the milk we drink to the meat we eat without even knowing it

Advertisement