Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with 7 acres of land

Options
  • 24-03-2014 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm looking for some suggestions/advise on how I might use 7 acres of land. I will be coming into ownership of this land in the near future. It adjoins my house and all the land is visible from my kitchen window. It's currently grazed by a few horses.

It is good land and well drained with fresh water supply and an outside shed. I was toying with the idea of sheep or young cattle bought in spring and sold in autumn. I'm not looking to make a huge amount of money. It would be a combination of hobby and practical. I am willing to spend a certain amount of time on this but at the same time I'm not looking for something that requires intensive management and a very large amount of my time.

I would appreciate any advise. All suggestions including creative ideas welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Lucky you!
    Have you considered using it for GRASS LIVERY for horses?
    Many people we know are paying a huge amount for grass livery - depends on where you are located to an extent I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Where abouts are you? Could let it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

How is it fenced?

7 acres - up to 7 cows or 35 sheep

Horse livery can be nice money but the land would need a break every now around again.

What are shed facilities like?

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

????pigs

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cpnoel

Thanks everyone.I'm located in north Wexford. I wasn't aware of grass livery for horses. Not on my radar at all. What's involved and what would return be like.

It's currently let out. The fencing is adequate I think as there have been no problems with the horses currently on the land. The shed is in good condition. I think the current rent is nominal only. What is reasonable rate per acre?

I'm surprised that 7 acres could take 35 sheep - I take it the lambs would then be extra again?..

I'm not too keen on pigs - but that's just me.

My job has reduced to 3 days a week so I have a bit of time. I'd like to make some return on it but I'm not dependent on it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭moan 77

How much would you get for horse livery. As I've a friend who thinks he's doing me a favor by leaving his 4 horse's on my 5 acres.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

moan 77 wrote: »
    How much would you get for horse livery. As I've a friend who thinks he's doing me a favor by leaving his 4 horse's on my 5 acres.

At least €20 a week....

http://www.donedeal.ie/horses-for-sale/boarding-and-retirement-livery/6683716

http://www.donedeal.ie/equineservices-for-sale/livery-available-cheap-rates/2710259

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Cpnoel wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.I'm located in north Wexford. I wasn't aware of grass livery for horses. Not on my radar at all. What's involved and what would return be like.

It's currently let out. The fencing is adequate I think as there have been no problems with the horses currently on the land. The shed is in good condition. I think the current rent is nominal only. What is reasonable rate per acre?

I'm surprised that 7 acres could take 35 sheep - I take it the lambs would then be extra again?..

I'm not too keen on pigs - but that's just me.

My job has reduced to 3 days a week so I have a bit of time. I'd like to make some return on it but I'm not dependent on it either.

As you mention time being limited sheep would not be a great option.
    Never been involved with them myself but buddy tells me cattle are much easier kept. While you might be on 3days ATM that might not always be the case.

What about something a bit more novel like geese?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

GRASS LIVERY around here (Co. Kildare) is around E40-50 per horse per week.
    You would need very secure fencing as you mentioned, and access to fresh water.
    The owner would be expected to monitor their horses, but you would need to check on them maybe twice/day - to make sure none have injured themselves or dissapeared etc.
    Up to you and the customer after that what else - if you have sheds you prob need to store owners feed etc. If the grass runs out and you have horses you would need to provide hay/haylage etc.
    Talk to people who have horses on grass livery around you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

aonb wrote: »
    GRASS LIVERY around here (Co. Kildare) is around E40-50 per horse per week.
    You would need very secure fencing as you mentioned, and access to fresh water.
    The owner would be expected to monitor their horses, but you would need to check on them maybe twice/day - to make sure none have injured themselves or disappeared etc.
    Up to you and the customer after that what else - if you have sheds you prob need to store owners feed etc. If the grass runs out and you have horses you would need to provide hay/haylage etc.
    Talk to people who have horses on grass livery around you

Same price here in North County Dublin though places without facilities (arena etc.) would be a bit cheaper

Field would need some sort of shelter and access to water as already said

In the winter with horses you'd almost definitely need haylage ( not hay 'cos it'd rot too quickly in the rain and kill the horse) though it would be up to you and the customer who provides that.

With 7 acres you'd be looking at 7 horses max (guidelines are one horse for every acre) though I'd probably not go above 5 but that's just me.

They're terrible for the land though be warned !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Base price

If you are thinking of grass livery then do it on a week by week basis and for 7 acres I would minimise it to 5 at the most. No riding on the land unless you have correct insurance.
    Also never keep horses on livery over winter if you have any respect for your land. As aaabbb said they are hard on the land. Get them off the land end of Oct and don't take any back again until March/April (weather depending).
    Around here €40 per week is normal, but better managed land (fertilized & topped) is €55.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

With 7 acres, you would need to be intensive some how or another to generate a good income, possibly a few polytunnels for strawberry growing, (wexford), or other fruit and veg. I wouldn't be limited to grazing a few donkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

moan 77 wrote: »

Grass livery only
    Without other facilities ie yard, hacking etc the average price is 20 - 25 euro

Dedicated equestrian centres charge more but provide more services such as riding facilities, arena etc higher price. Make sure owners have their own insurance but as with any livestock have your own insurance in place.

To get a higher return on grass livery you would need to invest in additional facilities. If there are any riding centres / yards near you check these out to see what they offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭paulbok

If you are near a town, what about renting out plots as allotments?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

I would get 30 sheep. You should get 50 lambs to sell yearly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

aaabbbb wrote: »
    With 7 acres you'd be looking at 7 horses max (guidelines are one horse for every acre) though I'd probably not go above 5 but that's just me.

They're terrible for the land though be warned !

In what particular way are they bad for the land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

In what particular way are they bad for the land?

I think horses are good to clear rough ground.

But long term I think they don't return what they take - other animals fertilise the ground as they go, but horse manure isn't supposed to be great.
    Plus stallions only manure in the one spot in a field, so further reducin any good that the manure might spread around.

Disclaimer - I don't have horses, just had a neighbours horses in a few times... :)

I think horses are good to clear rough ground.

But long term I think they don't return what they take - other animals fertilise the ground as they go, but horse manure isn't supposed to be great.
    Plus stallions only manure in the one spot in a field, so further reducin any good that the manure might spread around.

Disclaimer - I don't have horses, just had a neighbours horses in a few times... :)

Believe it horse manure as a fertiliser is the best you can get - horticulturalist and market Gardners buy well rotted horse manure to incorporate into soil for its value as humus and as valuable nutrient source for growing.

The problem with some areas used for horses is that the horses are effectively abandoned on it and the land is not tested or managed properly hence areas rank with weeds, emancipated horses and no grass.

On the other hand go and take a look at Coolmore or the Nationsl stud in Kildare and you won't see better managed grazing anywhere.

Properly managed grassland with horses is as good as that with cattle etc. it does require proper inputs and management but that's the same for any land or soil type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

gozunda wrote: »
    Believe it horse manure as a fertiliser is the best you can get - horticulturalist and market Gardners buy well rotted horse manure to incorporate into soil for its value as humus and as valuable nutrient source for growing.

The problem with some areas used for horses is that the horses are effectively abandoned on it and the land is not tested or managed properly hence areas rank with weeds, emancipated horses and no grass.

On the other hand go and take a look at Coolmore or the Nationsl stud in Kildare and you won't see better managed grazing anywhere.

Properly managed grassland with horses is as good as that with cattle etc. it does require proper inputs and management but that's the same for any land or soil type.

Hi Gozunda,

I know people for horse manure for horses all right.
    But anytime I had horses in, I thought the grass didnt do well after em. Which was why I said the manure wasn't great.
    Now - 'twas always poor places they were too, so twasn't as if they were in lunch grass to start ;)

Edit : as for coolmore, I know nothing about tha place, but given the amount of money they're dealing in stock, I suspect putting out an extra bit if bag stuff or doing a bit more topping they wouldn't think about too much ;)

• Advertisement

Hi Gozunda,

I know people for horse manure for horses all right.
    But anytime I had horses in, I thought the grass didnt do well after em. Which was why I said the manure wasn't great.
    Now - 'twas always poor places they were too, so twasn't as if they were in lunch grass to start ;)

Edit : as for coolmore, I know nothing about tha place, but given the amount of money they're dealing in stock, I suspect putting out an extra bit if bag stuff or doing a bit more topping they wouldn't think about too much ;)

:D that should have been "emaciated" horses - emancipated horses are something else entirely...

Yup agree - horse pasture same as for cattle - land needs tested, rested and managed. Its reckoned that grassland with horses should be grazed with sheep etc as horses tend to be selective grazers. Even horses with cattle do well. Teagasc do an online guide to managing horse pasture which is fairly spot on.

Btw Coolmore as far as I know use organic methods for managing grazing but then with that type of money I would expect no less... ;)

http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2011/70/70_Horse_Grassland_2010_web.pdf

Advertisement