Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bike nicked off the roof of my car

Options
  • 23-03-2014 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭

my CAAD9 was stolen from the roof of my car this afternoon in D8, parked outside my apartment block with the downtube locked to the bike carrier. carrier is a thule 591, as a word of warning to anyone who trusts them to keep their bike safe!

i went out to take the bike down to put it in the shed and it was gone. no sign of much damage, the frame clamp looks untouched, certainly hasn't been wedged open and the only obvious thing was that the holder for the front wheel was tilted off the rack.

f*cking raging, meant to be doing the hellfire duathlon on it next weekend :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I've been the victim of the same thing, and from the video I had of my bike being nicked it appears that the Thule 591 tube clamp lock alone is not sufficient to prevent anything more than casual theft.

Check the roofrack or the roof for footmarks, as when my bike was nicked the thief unclipped the tyres, then stood on the roofbars yanking hard at the bike and twisting the bike around the clamp, and the clamp spread just enough to lever the tube free, with the thief cycling it away. There was no obvious signs of damage to the clamp or the rack either. Gone in less than 30 seconds.

Since then I've put an additional decent quality d-lock on the bike with a known-good cable attaching the whole lot (racks and all) to the roofbars on my estate car. It's add a decent enough extra bit of time to the stealing process that I'm less worried about the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Sorry to hear that, some cheek to take it from the roof. Thing is, no one would think to ask if they owned the bike when they were at the car removing it from the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

sounds like he was so quick that there were probably no witnesses anyway. caretaker has it on cctv (i'll be getting a copy tomorrow) though i suspect the chances of getting it back are minimal regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

sounds like he was so quick that there were probably no witnesses anyway. caretaker has it on cctv (i'll be getting a copy tomorrow) though i suspect the chances of getting it back are minimal regardless.
    fingers crossed you get it back,(bastards):mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Masala

Sometimes - I despair at the society we are living in.

To rob off other people who work hard for what they have is the lowest of low...scum of the worse kind.

What can we do when:

1. There is no real appetite among Gardai to prioritise cycle crime
    2. There are still people out there who will buy 'dodgy' bikes from 'dodgy' sites and from 'dodgy' people

Sorry OP to hear your troubles....hope there is some light for u at end of this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I usually throw a cable lock around mine and the roof rails, and try throw a u-lock in there somewhere, but still don't trust leaving it alone for any length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Thanks for this. I have one of those racks. It great, but I had assumed it was reasonably secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

One way to help secure bikes on a rear rack is to reverse as close to a wall as possible (if you can get the rack touching the wall even better).

I remember having my dad do that when travelling through france with bikes 20 years ago! no way to prevent this incident without a D lock connecting bike & roof-rack though

btw, i just watched the video and once he'd loosened the ties on the wheels it took him just a couple of seconds to yank the bike off the car. pretty incredible when you consider the faith i put in the lock on it!

will post a video soon if it uploads to youtube (mods - can't even come close to making out his face)

• Advertisement

here's the video...takes a few seconds to do anything, he then loosens the tabs on the two wheels, walks out to stop the gate from closing, walks back in and pops it off in a flash. incredible how quickly it comes off considering that the clamp was locked to the bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Blood boils watching that.

This post has been deleted.

just dropped the dvd up to the station, he said they'll see if they can have a look at luas cctv etc. not holding out much hope though...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Have you asked your management company about putting another camera in at the other end?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Jaybus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

That is an unreal video, it takes all of 4-5 seconds to take the bike from the roof. Scum...

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Have you asked your management company about putting another camera in at the other end?

there are other cameras, this is the one which shows the incident, another one captures his face better but the fact that he was wearing the hood up the whole time makes even that picture a bit meh.

logik wrote: »
    That is an unreal video, it takes all of 4-5 seconds to take the bike from the roof. Scum...

yip and the important thing here is that the bike was locked to the thule rack. so for anyone that has one of those racks, the lock isn't worth sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

here's the video...

It completely enrages me to watch this. 5:30 in the afternoon and not a single soul to see anything. Fecking scumbags!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That will just give you an another angle of the theft, won't stop things like that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Sorry to see that video, I have seen a similar one with a thule 591 too.
    I have a couple of those carriers, and I don't know why they put locks on them - it gives a false sense of security.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I have a CAAD9 and I haven't seen too many of them about. Yours could be quite easy to identify. You might stick up a post about it on the Stolen Bikes Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

House insurance should cover that?

Its crap attitude to have but sadly in this day and age its what we are left with....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

there are other cameras, this is the one which shows the incident, another one captures his face better but the fact that he was wearing the hood up the whole time makes even that picture a bit meh.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    That will just give you an another angle of the theft, won't stop things like that happening.

No but you can't actually see the guy from that clip whereas if you'd a camera down the other end you might be able to make him out better.

As MrSpuckler says though the other camera didn't work very well.

No but you can't actually see the guy from that clip whereas if you'd a camera down the other end you might be able to make him out better.

As MrSpuckler says though the other camera didn't work very well.

will definitely be asking the management company about installing better quality cameras, the one at the gate really should pick up his face better...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭jdburkedjburke

Absolute Scum Bags

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Have you checked with all the local bike shops to see if he tried to sell it on to them?

groovyg wrote: »
    Have you checked with all the local bike shops to see if he tried to sell it on to them?

nope, will do though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The real sickener is he'll probably sell it to a mate for fifty quid.

If you've time, it might be worth checking out 'The Hill' on North Cumberland Street (between Parnell Street and Upper Sean McDermott/Cathal Brugha Street) on Saturday morning. Get there early (6-8am) while things are setting up.

Advertisement