Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Volta a Catalunya (spoiler tags until midnight)

Options
  • 23-03-2014 7:33pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭

7 stages, from Monday 24th to Sunday 30th. No TT, with a huge amount of climbing to be done. The sprinters will only really get a look in on Saturday's stage.

Seriously tough field, possibly even stronger than the Tirreno Adriatico. Froomey, Contador, Rodriguez, Quintana, Martin, Porte and Basso are all here. Should make for some quality racing

Stage 1 (Monday):
    Volta_Catalunya_Stage1.JPG

Stage 2 (Tuesday):
    Volta_Catalunya_Stage2.JPG

Stage 3 (Wednesday):
    Volta_Catalunya_Stage3.JPG

Stage 4 (Thursday):
    Volta_Catalunya_Stage4.JPG

Stage 5 (Friday):
    Volta_Catalunya_Stage5.JPG

Stage 6 (Saturday):
    Volta_Catalunya_Stage6.JPG

Stage 7 (Sunday):
    Volta_Catalunya_Stage7.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Good preview
    How are you deciding which threads have spoiler tags and which don't ???...seems arbitrary ?

Froomy ???

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Forum rules make it clear - general thread requires spoiler tags, stage specific/one day race ones do not

Any more questions about rules PM a mod and don't take the thread off-topic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Nice preview, some of those stages look really really tough. An awful lot of climbing to be done.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

logik wrote: »
    Nice preview, some of those stages look really really tough. An awful lot of climbing to be done.

Yeah at first I thought it was just that the profiles I could find weren't the best quality, but actually there's actually just a sick amount of climbing.

Yeah at first I thought it was just that the profiles I could find weren't the best quality, but actually there's actually just a sick amount of climbing.

I guess Froomy will be happy :D

• Advertisement

Have this on record now so cant wait to sit down tonight and watch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Eurosport coverage starts at 2.30pm today.

I'm not sure if Cyclingnews will have a text ticker.
    Here's a link to one that's translated into English (quite hilariously).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

is that finish on final stage in Barca the same one as last year's final stage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Don't forget spoilers folks....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

What the foot is happening ?
    How much of the race is left ?
    Who's in the break ? How far are they ahead?
    Who just won ?
    ie. terrible TV coverage !!

• Advertisement

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    is that finish on final stage in Barca the same one as last year's final stage ?

yep, same one. It goes up around to where the Olympic Stadium is.

OT: It's a beautiful area with great views, it's well worth a trip if you're ever in Barcelona. Easy to get there on one of the hop on-hop off buses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Luka Mezgec won stage 1 (Giant-Shimano).....bunch sprint

Wilco Kelderman (Belkin) attacked late and survived the dissolution of the day’s long breakaway.....peloton drew him in inside 5km to go
    Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/03/news/mezgec-tops-howard-stage-1-sprint-volta-catalunya_321090#lQkb2IgYzPBDtmlF.99

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Dan finished in the main bunch, only big name not to do so is Richie Porte, who finished in the grupetto at 2'58.

Here's your stage 1 highlights. Broadcast quality is indeed awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭buffalo

Just watched the highlights, possibly the worst tv feed since the Giro had nothing for a day. I understand when sometimes it's hard to get the gaps, but no distance markers - even with the town names would've been helpful. Instead I had to consult a map everytime a name flashed up. And last 5km seemed to be covered very quickly.
    And then banner in the way of the sprint to the finish, and couldn't see the riders crossing the line. wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

buffalo wrote: »
    Just watched the highlights, possibly the worst tv feed since the Giro had nothing for a day. I understand when sometimes it's hard to get the gaps, but no distance markers - even with the town names would've been helpful. Instead I had to consult a map everytime a name flashed up. And last 5km seemed to be covered very quickly.
    And then banner in the way of the sprint to the finish, and couldn't see the riders crossing the line. wtf?

If I remember correctly this was the same last year - you were always left guessing who had won!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

letape wrote: »
    If I remember correctly this was the same last year - you were always left guessing who had won!
    Yeah it was awful last year too for Dan's win.

They did say on a number of occasions that the transponder was not working all day and all of this will be fixed for today. Good... because I hadnt a clue what was happening yesterday and the guy at the finish line with the camera should be shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

They could have at least panned the camera down so we could see who crossed the line first. Fairly embarrassing for the broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

4 Pro's to follow on Strava:
    Lauren's Ten Dam :
    and from his ride you are linked into the other 3:
    Roy Jérémy
    Carlos Verona
    Romain Bardet

• Advertisement

Apparently Richie Porte has abandoned.

Two in a row for Mezgec. It finished in a bunch sprint. It was very wet and there were a good few roundabouts close to finish. Tommy V was out in front but he was caught with a few kilometres to go.

happytramp wrote: »
    They could have at least panned the camera down so we could see who crossed the line first. Fairly embarrassing for the broadcaster.

Kirby's view on communication "We are relying on a crackly radio..its about as good as 2 cups and a piece of string"

Apparently Richie Porte has abandoned.
    Not surprised, read some quotes from him after the first stage and he sounded sick as a dog.

Last 4km of today's stage here:

There's really something going around, Trek racing have lost Zubeldia and Hondo to sickness too. Arredondo has some stomach issues but is soldiering on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Just a gentle bump. Anyone got any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

Just a gentle bump. Anyone got any updates?

Yeah, Carlton Kirby is still talking rubbish!

No major updates so far.
    A 9-man breakaway has a lead of around 7 minutes and they are ascending the 2nd climb of the day. It's sunny, but cold.

• Advertisement

That La Molina is bloody steep ...they are on it now but come around and go up it again to finish

Advertisement