Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to report bad care ?

Options
  • 22-03-2014 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi Folks,

I am looking for a bit of advice. I have an old man that lives next door to me that I have thought the world of since before I could even walk and that was a long time ago. I used to spend all my time at his house helping out with farm work and whatever he needed done and often at my own expense which I never minded as he was always good to me when I was small.
    Going back a few years ago he he had to got to hospital for a couple of weeks and while he was gone I decided to clean up his house and repaint it for him as it was badly needed, he has no family of his own but has a nephew and niece who he thinks the world of. I know both of them very well and at the time his niece said she would help with the house and she had his cheque book to buy whatever was needed as he was happy to get it done.
    I ended up doing it all myself and out of my own pocket but like I said I'm not worried about that but what I didn't like was that after it was all done and he was home and happy his nephew and niece made it clear to me they didn't want me around and didn't want him spending money on the house. I took this on board and didn't want to fall out with any one so I stopped calling around as much and kept my distance from the whole situation. Over the last number of years I have stood back and watched as what was once a tidy well kept farm turn into a rough unkept and dirty mess. I called this evening because he had a chimney fire which I got under control but what I found nearly made me cry. There was a flood of dirty water coming in his back door, he was black with dirt himself, the house was filthy dirty, his bed clothes haven't been changed in a long long time and are black, there was about 7 dirty bed pads on the bed that were never taken off just a new one put on top of an old one whenever he thought it needed one, his fridge needs to be ****ed out because it has to be a health hazard and his gas cooker is like something that is ready to blow...

I know he has home help calling most days but I know what he is like and unless he really trusts you he won't let you do much around the place and I am not sure what home help are aloud to do.
    His nephew and niece are the ones to blame and should be ashamed of themselves, they come take whatever they need from him but never want to do anything for him

Is there anything I can do, can I report the sate of the place to the health board or to somebody, something needs to be done now.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

To be honest, without stepping on the family's toes, you're limited. They may or may not be happy if you get involved.

You can always speak to social services if you're concerned about your neighbour, they will probably get in touch with your neighbour and his next of kin, social services will listen to you but they won't disclose information to you unless your neighbour specifically directs them to. Which means you won't know of any outcomes.

I think you can legitimately speak to social services about your neighbour's seeming lack of ability to manage with his current level of support, given there was a fire, especially if his house is in close proximity to yours.

You might find age action helpful, they have a phone no for info, you could ring and explain your situation as a concerned neighbour.

http://www.ageaction.ie/information-service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Chances are if social welfare think he is not capable of looking after himself he will be put into a nursing home and enter into a fair deal package. Its a delicate balance between ensuring the safety and care of an older person and allowing them stay in their own home.

Advertisement