Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivor Bell arrested and charged in Jean McConville murder investigation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Which is once again, ignoring the realities in order to climb onto the high moral ground.
    No you're going to just ignore what I said so?

BTW, still waiting for a scenario as to what the IRA might have done around Bloody Sunday that would in any way modify the culpability of the paratroopers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

holyhead wrote: »
    the SDLP were the dominant political force on the Republican side.

I wouldnt agree with this totally. yes, overall they were the majority, but at a grass root working class level, SF always had the majority of the vote. the SDLP were very much a middle class party (as far as I remember anyway growing up)

so basically you want a scapegoat and not the truth? It doesnt matter to you if it ends up he wasnt in the IRA etc etc?

Well done. Great sense of justice there indeed.
    Yes happyman I am highly educated and well versed in the english language. Nobody will take Gerry Adams seriously as long as he continues to deny he was in the IRA and as long as he continues to deny having any hand act or part in Ms McConville's disappearance. It is Gerry who is insulting the intelligence of his fellow Irishman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It is true that the IRA tapped into a well of discontent at Catholics being treated as second class citizens in N.I. as well as a desire for a united Ireland. They had no official policital mandate and indeed as I say until Sinn Fein embraced peace the SDLP were the dominant political force on the Republican side.

Yes most Irish people wanted/want a 32 county Ireland but not by violent means.

Oh yes, they forgot to hold the referendum like other revolutionaries did before them. :rolleyes:

There wasnt much of an IRA when bloody sunday occured. 'I Ran Away' was the slogan of the time

BTW, still waiting for a scenario as to what the IRA might have done around Bloody Sunday that would in any way modify the culpability of the paratroopers?

• Advertisement

Yes happyman I am highly educated and well versed in the english language. Nobody will take Gerry Adams seriously as long as he continues to deny he was in the IRA and as long as he continues to deny having any hand act or part in Ms McConville's disappearance. It is Gerry who is insulting the intelligence of his fellow Irishman.

I think you really need to sit down and have a long hard educated look at what you just typed there.

Yes I probably am, like other people living in a real world.

I have no idea what your'e talking about or looking for.

What I gleaned off it is that bloody sunday was probably caused by the IRA ... or something along those lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Oh yes, they forgot to hold the referendum like other revolutionaries did before them. :rolleyes:

That's irrelevant. The Tooting Popular Front could take up arms and claim to be revolutionaryies. It does not in any way legitimise their actions.

Yeah, you do.

• Advertisement

It does not in any way legitimise their actions.

It would to them which is the important thing. The fact is, they are not waiting to be legitimised by the state they are fighting.

Yeah, you do.

I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Happyman Irish people are intelligent. Gerry would be wise not to insult their intelligence. Both Brendan Hughes and Dolours Price have said he was linked to the death of Ms McConville.

That's irrelevant. The Tooting Popular Front could take up arms and claim to be revolutionaryies. It does not in any way legitimise their actions.

if the Tooting Popular Front had enough popular support to avoid the authorities for years, then you would have to consider it a mandate of sorts. If the Tooting Popular Front didnt have popular support they would be caught and rounded up quickly. If they existed that is.

both of whom disagreed with him on the peace process. axe to grind anyone?

I think you are insulting their intelligence by deciding to speak for Irish people. You'd think you'd be interested in finding out the truth rather than making a manhunt out of it.
    Happyman Irish people are intelligent. Gerry would be wise not to insult their intelligence. Both Brendan Hughes and Dolours Price have said he was linked to the death of Ms McConville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

maccored wrote: »
    I wouldnt agree with this totally. yes, overall they were the majority, but at a grass root working class level, SF always had the majority of the vote. the SDLP were very much a middle class party (as far as I remember anyway growing up)

The sdlp had a larger percentage of people that actually voted. A lot of people did not vote nor wanted to participate in the sham that tried to pass itself off as a political process pre 1998. A large bulk of people felt completely disenfranchised and this only changed after the gfa

Not intelligent enough to come up with a shred of proof that will stand the test of a court though.

If there was any weight to Hughes, Price testimony don't you think action would have been taken?, Why hasn't Gerry been arrested when Bell has been on foot of the Boston College tapes? Can you apply your education to that for us?
    Guess, if you can't get the answer.

'Gerry would be wise...' you do realise he must be the longest serving party leaders anywhere in the world?
    'Gerry would be wise...', that is truly hilarious, thanks for that! :D

maccored wrote: »
    both of whom disagreed with him on the peace process. axe to grind anyone?

Not just 'disagreed'...'vehemently disagreed' about something people have died for. Not hard to see that they might be stirring the pot.
    Anything they have to say is subsequently untrustworthy for that reason. Even the British obviously see that, hence no arrest.

The sdlp had a larger percentage of people that actually voted. A lot of people did not vote nor wanted to participate in the sham that tried to pass itself off as a political process pre 1998. A large bulk of people felt completely disenfranchised and this only changed after the gfa

34% didn't vote at all in the first Assembly elections the SDLP contested. Not a very accurate reflection of what was going on, on the ground.

Probably so. Where I grew up, people made a point of voting though, as the perception was that if you didnt, it would be seen as support for the unionist state,

• Advertisement

The political objective of the IRA was a united Ireland. The constituency who needed to mandate this was the people of Ireland. And whether you take them separately in two states or on the island as a whole they did not give this mandate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Happyman Dolours Price and Brendan Hughes both prominent Republicans whose statements surely cant be dismissed on the grounds that they disagreed with Gerry or can it?

I suppose it can if it suits your viewpoint. Politically the death of Ms McConville will shadow Gerry until the truth is definitively established.

The political objective of the IRA was a united Ireland. The constituency who needed to mandate this was the people of Ireland. And whether you take them separately in two states or on the island as a whole they did not give this mandate.

And? This alters what happened in reality how?

so the north is a separate state when it suits, and then its part of ireland at other times - again when it suits? Fantastic logic!

How would you bring down the peace process? start by bringing down adams. whats the quickest way of doing that? accusing him of killing someone.
    Happyman Dolours Price and Brendan Hughes both prominent Republicans whose statements surely cant be dismissed on the grounds that they disagreed with Gerry or can it?

I suppose it can if it suits your viewpoint. Politically the death of Ms McConville will shadow Gerry until the truth is definitively established.

It patently has been dismissed as not credible....no arrest on either count.

SF in the ascendancy in both jurisdictions and Gerry party leader. Yeh, them is big shadows alright.

It would to them which is the important thing. The fact is, they are not waiting to be legitimised by the state they are fighting.

Or the people they represent, because ultimately, nationalism will unify them all for the greater good.

I believe Mussolini shared the same view.

It patently has been dismissed as not credible.

Hang on, Brendan Hughes was the beacon of truth earlier, now he's a liar?

Make your mind up.

Or the people they represent, because ultimately, nationalism will unify them all for the greater good.

I believe Mussolini shared the same view.

Terribly close to godwins law there

• Advertisement

And? This alters what happened in reality how?
    You choose to ignore my argument that an army, guerrilla, or regular needs legitimacy. You may as well also ignore why PIRA lacked legitimacy.
    maccord wrote: »
    so the north is a separate state when it suits, and then its part of ireland at other times - again when it suits? Fantastic logic!
    It doesn't matter how you slice and dice it. The IRA did not have the support of the people of Ireland. Whether you take the island as a whole or the two jurisdictions.

They had minority support in the minority community in the smaller jurisdiction.

Advertisement