Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats is the Best Wedding You Have Gone to or The Best Bits

Options
  • 21-03-2014 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭

Just wondering I have seen an older post in a different forum asking "What is the Best Wedding You Have Been To" and was wondering if another one here would suit. Or what was the best bits out of weddings you have gone to what makes it fun be good to know for all those planning..

For me I cant say I had a favourite one but I have lots of good bits.

A cousins wedding they had a lovely fish and chip set up for nibbles later on in the night. There were the normal sambo's at the table and then a little mobile chip stand came out, something like the sweet cart but with fish and chips you get in a cone was a lovely touch.

A friends one where they had the ceremony part in an old priory everything was lovely and relaxed, nothing too serious.

I enjoyed my sisters aswell there was lots to do for the guest's while they were waiting for the couple to arrive back. So you didn't have to sit around and wait for them, there was sandboarding, camel rides, dune bashing lots and lots.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Milly33 wrote: »
    Just wondering I have seen an older post in a different forum asking "What is the Best Wedding You Have Been To" and was wondering if another one here would suit. Or what was the best bits out of weddings you have gone to what makes it fun be good to know for all those planning..

For me I cant say I had a favourite one but I have lots of good bits.

A cousins wedding they had a lovely fish and chip set up for nibbles later on in the night. There were the normal sambo's at the table and then a little mobile chip stand came out, something like the sweet cart but with fish and chips you get in a cone was a lovely touch.

A friends one where they had the ceremony part in an old priory everything was lovely and relaxed, nothing too serious.

I enjoyed my sisters aswell there was lots to do for the guest's while they were waiting for the couple to arrive back. So you didn't have to sit around and wait for them, there was sandboarding, camel rides, dune bashing lots and lots.

I love a party with a happy atmosphere.

AFAIR the places that do fish and chips in a cone for afters are

darver castle
    heritage golf club hotel in portlaoise,
    middleton park house

might be 1 or 2 others. nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭Milly33

yes there is nothing like walking into a room and feeling ah isn't this lovely :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I love a party with a happy atmosphere.

AFAIR the places that do fish and chips in a cone for afters are

darver castle
    heritage golf club hotel in portlaoise,
    middleton park house

might be 1 or 2 others. nice touch.

My venue do fish and chips and goujons in chips for the afters too but it's just a standard chain hotel. The Carlton hotel in Tyrellstown.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

January wrote: »
    My venue do fish and chips and goujons in chips for the afters too but it's just a standard chain hotel. The Carlton hotel in Tyrellstown.

The Carlton in Kinsale do them too, and our venue offered to sub them in for the standard evening food which I don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

January wrote: »
    That's the one i had in my head where I'd had them in the last 2 weeks!!

Great spot since they moved the bar into the function room. Place used to be dead when they only had the one outside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

That's the one i had in my head where I'd had them in the last 2 weeks!!

Great spot since they moved the bar into the function room. Place used to be dead when they only had the one outside.

Yep and it's absolutely lovely up there now... I was apprehensive, I was at a wedding there 7 years ago and it seemed so much more like a conference room than a wedding venue but it has definitely changed. Glad I looked there now because I definitely had to be convinced. The bar in the function room is definitely a plus :p

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Best wedding was because you had fish n chips at night?Wow, youre really setting the bar high there.....

well it is all different opinions. doesn't have to be fab

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Ceremony in small church, family and close friends only so 20 guests, meal in a lovely Italian restaurant after. Whole thing over in 3 hours. Best wedding I was ever at.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Fish and chips in the Sheraton in Athlone too.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

fish and chips in the Anglers Rest as well.

i have to say my wedding was the best:P

we didnt get married until 5.30pm and sat for dinner at 6.30pm none of that getting up at an ungodly hour and then none of that hanging around for hours waiting for dinner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Fish and chips at Lough Rynn too. It's the "thing" du jour. There's always something! :)

There something about Fish and Chips then haha!! Think late weddings yes are the best nonsence getting up to spend the day waiting around doing nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

A swing band playing in the hallway (more or less) of Lisloughrey Lodge in Cong, Co Mayo. The actual wedding was lovely (Ballintuber Abbey, super low key) and then we all drove back to the hotel.

Walked in on this amazing atmosphere. People laughing, champagne (or whatever) flowing, and the live music. The band made an absolutely massive difference, can't even describe it. The music went up till dinner time and just made the whole event. Lovely memory :-)

An all expenses paid 4 day long wedding on Dubai of my rich show off cousin!
    One day at the polo club, next day garden party, next day wedding in the fanciest hotel I was ever on, followed by 2nd reception on a yacht, then next day some fancy restaurant.

Never put my hand in my pocket!
    Great wedding.

But not at all romantic or meaningful!
    I enjoyed it because its something I'd never be at usually.
    But probably not the best wedding, for meaning, I was ever at.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Everything in one venue, no boring mass and a free bar. And no skimping on food. Great day, helped by amazing weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The best irish weddings I've been at paid a lot of attention to the music. Pre-ceremony someone playing... Post ceremony acoustic guitar while drinks and nibbles are served. Piano guy during meal. Post dinner jazz group. Dancing to a brill dj. It keeps a great vibe going.

Most lovely wedding i've been at was in amsterdam. But... Don't think many irish people would like it. It was a sweet little protestant chapel by a canal. We stepped out of the ceremony into a canal boat for tea, sandwiches and cakes while the boat went all around the city and played music. Few speeches, all done by 6pm. Couple went to airport. No booze so my husband was a bit miffed. I liked it though. Nice and simple. We went drinking sround amsterdam with our irish buddies afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Best wedding (besides my own? ;)).

Couple of friends of mine were getting married. Reg Office do, and VERY low key. No-one from the couple's family was invited. None of their friends either. Although I knew about it, I wasn't invited either at first. The original plan as just the happy couple and their witnesses. When the bride realised I wasn't invited, she insisted I come.

Couple married in St Pancras Registry Office. Beautiful building, and my friends were the last to marry there before it closed. Afterwards, we all jumped in a taxi and went off to Novelli's for lunch.

Wicked day!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My husband's uncle got married recently and both he and his new wife are ballroom dancers. Their first dance was absolutely amazing! It was like watching something off Strictly but so much better because there was just so much love there (without sounding sappy) and they were really enjoying themselves. Such a lovely change from the usual couple doing the awkward shuffle in the middle of the floor.

Another great bit was at my SIL's wedding, I was one of the bridesmaids which was lovely in itself. After the reception when we were all booted out of the function room, about 15 people ended up piled into our bedroom and had a sort of 'after party'. I have absolutely no idea where it came from, but someone produced bottles of whiskey and bottles of coke and we all ended up having a great session until the wee hours. It was great because it turned out the residents bar only stayed open until 2:30 so there was no singing or anything down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

The best weddings I've been at had really relaxed vibes. Ceremony times were a reasonable length, the drinks reception was in a private room/area. I never like when the drinks reception is in the lobby of the hotel as you feel kind of in the way and half the people end up going into the bar. When your in a private area I feel you relax more and chat to people.

I also like when the drinks flow and there is plenty of food throughout the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

two stand out for me, a 2 day winter wedding in Lisloughrey and a sun-filled wedding on Inishbofin.
    There were lovely canapes and sparking wine, and a Christmassy atmosphere at the winter one. The next morning we had breakfast and lunch overlooking the white frosty field out front and the lovely lake. Had a walk down to the boat house, and then a delicious buffet dinner in the evening.
    The summer wedding on Inishbofin was blessed with sunny weather. We walked to the church and back and sat outside having summer punch.
    It was the beautiful setting and the atmosphere that made it for me, unfortunately some of that is just pure luck.
    My favourite time at any wedding is actually between the ceremony and dinner, when you have a few canapes/chicken goujons and a couple of glasses of sparking wine and chat to all those friends you hadn't seen in months. It's brill...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭streetcar

I think that the best weddings are the ones where both sides of the extended family get to spend a little bit of time together the night before the wedding (and close friends). It means that both sides are more likely to mingle together and get the craic going at the wedding. You can do everything you can to make your wedding enjoyable for the guests but the guests must also make an effort to enjoy themselves and this can be easier when they know people.

I like this idea sounds great get both sides more acquainted

I know its not very PC to say this, but one of the best weddings I was at featured 2 bridesmaids slapping the head off each other, over a fella that was unconscious in his own drool, and quite frankly he was nothing to look at.

One of the bridesmaids was the brides sister, the other her best friend -and when they weren't bitchslapping each other they took turns hitting the man they were fighting over. the bride didn't give a toss but most of the guests were horrified, and nobody intervened!

It really did stand out for me much more than the other weddings which seem to blend into the one in my memory.

A bit of entertainment then. jes would you really do something like this at your sisters wedding.. They must have been like nope they aren't with me

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I know its not very PC to say this, but one of the best weddings I was at featured 2 bridesmaids slapping the head off each other, over a fella that was unconscious in his own drool, and quite frankly he was nothing to look at.

One of the bridesmaids was the brides sister, the other her best friend -and when they weren't bitchslapping each other they took turns hitting the man they were fighting over. the bride didn't give a toss but most of the guests were horrified, and nobody intervened!

It really did stand out for me much more than the other weddings which seem to blend into the one in my memory.

Can you book them for events? :pac:

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Malari wrote: »
    Can you book them for events? :pac:

"Hi..., yes, I'd like a theme for my wedding. I'll have the Jerry Springer please"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Neyite wrote: »
    "Hi..., yes, I'd like a theme for my wedding. I'll have the Jerry Springer please"

LMAO!! I nearrly choked on my toast!!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Neyite wrote: »

"Ok, that'll be €90 per hour. Now do you need chairs for throwing? They'll cost you an extra €50 per chair."

• Advertisement

And Chair covers that will be extra €2.50 per chair

Advertisement