Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf in portugal

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ended up booking Boavista, Espiche, Parque da Floresta and Pestana Silves.

Mix up on our part with everyone assuming someone else was booking the 4th course, wanted Pestana Gramacho but tee times didnt suit.

Just a heads up, Espiche isn't as narrow as I had heard. It is incredibly tough though, fairways run away to gorse bush and so many holes seem to be down to a valley and up again to the green. Can't see myself playing it again. Their clubhouse is top notch though.

Pestana Silves has some amazing holes, but their 17th and 18th is like something you'd see on a council course, they also messed us around with the tee time (well I say they, it seemed to be the guy taking the bookings, girls on their day tried to handle it as best they could).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

razorblunt wrote: »
    Ended up booking Boavista, Espiche, Parque da Floresta and Pestana Silves.

Mix up on our part with everyone assuming someone else was booking the 4th course, wanted Pestana Gramacho but tee times didnt suit.

How did you get on in Boavista?
    Did they have an English starter, checking your pitch mark repairers:mad: and telling you how to drive the buggy?
    once he heard we were Irish, twas like going through Heathrow in the old days:eek: Only thing he didnt check was our boxers...lucky lad:D

Dbu wrote: »
    How did you get on in Boavista?
    Did they have an English starter, checking your pitch mark repairers:mad: and telling you how to drive the buggy?
    once he heard we were Irish, twas like going through Heathrow in the old days:eek: Only thing he didnt check was our boxers...lucky lad:D

Didn't do great at Boavista, but it was the first full round of the year for me and with rental clubs it was always going to be tough - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :pac:
    Back 9 was decent though, left with a better impression of the place than when I last played it too.

Ha ha was that starter the Old Fella? We had the 20 questions off him the last time alright, this fella was a skinnier English lad, gave the buggy spiel alright. had the lads prepped so we had the pitch repairer in the pockets ready to go.

Parque da Floresta have relaxed their buggy rules too on most of the holes meaning you dont have to walk miles if you go wayward!

On a side note there was a society out ahead of us, caused a slight delay nothing major, but apparently someone misplaced a scorecard for a threeball that would have had a prize winning score - bit of a hoo haa in the clubhouse afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Went with the 3 Quinta Courses and the Old Course. Got the accomodation for half nothing so said we'd splash out on the golf. Can't fvcking wait now!

• Advertisement

idle wrote: »
    Went with the 3 Quinta Courses and the Old Course. Got the accomodation for half nothing so said we'd splash out on the golf. Can't fvcking wait now!

When you off idle?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

3 quinta courses are very good especially larangal , although the north course is getting a few bad reviews since it was done up last year . The old course is just class in fairness . Good choices !

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

I am going to a wedding in Vilamoura over Easter and have been told two rounds of golf have been arranged by the wedding party. One round at Pinhal and the other at Laguna. I think the price has been a factor in the choices. Anyone any experiences of either? Have played Vila Sol and Laranjal previously and enjoyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I am going to a wedding in Vilamoura over Easter and have been told two rounds of golf have been arranged by the wedding party. One round at Pinhal and the other at Laguna. I think the price has been a factor in the choices. Anyone any experiences of either? Have played Vila Sol and Laranjal previously and enjoyed them.

I played Pinhal a few years back and its only ok. Its certainly cheaper than other options in Vilamoura but theres a marked difference between it and the old course and victoria...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Played Victoria today and played it off the back tees which was fun. No real trouble off the tee apart from water on certain holes.Crazy money for a round of golf though. I'm playing the old course and millennium during the week. Great playing golf in shorts and a t shirt!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

dar_cool wrote: »
    Played Victoria today and played it off the back tees which was fun. No real trouble off the tee apart from water on certain holes.Crazy money for a round of golf though. I'm playing the old course and millennium during the week. Great playing golf in shorts and a t shirt!!

What did you get Victoria for? Playing there in 2weeks paid €80.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭delboykelly

12 of us playing at end of Sept.

3 rounds at Quinta do Lago (north, South and Laranjal) €317
    1 round at Pinhal €80
    Flights €150
    Clubs €60
    Accommodation (booked a massive villa for a week for €1100 or €90 each)
    Airport transfers about €15 each for a bus.

Staying at a villa just off Pinhal course.

What ye think of prices?
    The golf is crazy money isn't it, would never pay that for a round in Ireland unless it was Royal County Down or something....,!
    We've all been saving €10 a week into an account for the last year and a bit anyway so it won't feel expensive when it comes around..

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dwolf20

9 of us going in mid May.
    put request for golf through GolfBoo and a load of companies replied with offers for golf.
    Got Laguna, Victoria, Faldo and Salgados for 237. Went with twilight times for the three Oceanico courses. Buggy included for the Faldo course. Was best offer by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

dar_cool wrote: »

Hi dar, 8 of us are heading over in April to play Victoria and 3 other oceanico courses. Are buggies essential or would we be better to go with regular trollies?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭macdonagh2007

I am very familiar with Faldo and O'Connor courses at Amendoeira Golf resort so I would certainly recommend your group to use a buggies on the Faldo as there is lot of long walks to tees ie. Holes 3 to 4 , and all the holes on the back 9 which is very hilly area but with fantastic views in particular hole 11 to 12. is a long walk.
    Makes a great special stage in rally terms! You could walk the O'Connor course if your group are good players and don't hang about , The majority of players on both courses use buggies as a rule. The same would apply to the Victoria. Again some long walks. Going out myself on the 16th April to prepare for the season ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

There should be a discount in Vilamoura when you tell them you post on Boards with the amount of us heading there. E50 for the buggies is a bit steep after giving the ***** E300 for 3 rounds

searay wrote: »
    Hi dar, 8 of us are heading over in April to play Victoria and 3 other oceanico courses. Are buggies essential or would we be better to go with regular trollies?

Buggies aren't essential but there is big walks between some holes, I did it with a trolley and was grand, I got the holiday as a present so I didn't pay for it but I think my wife payed about 100 for the round, mad money in my opinion. It's a nice course but you could play better in Ireland/uk for half that

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Rule no.1,stay away from madeira

I am very familiar with Faldo and O'Connor courses at Amendoeira Golf resort so I would certainly recommend your group to use a buggies on the Faldo as there is lot of long walks to tees ie. Holes 3 to 4 , and all the holes on the back 9 which is very hilly area but with fantastic views in particular hole 11 to 12. is a long walk.
    Makes a great special stage in rally terms! You could walk the O'Connor course if your group are good players and don't hang about , The majority of players on both courses use buggies as a rule. The same would apply to the Victoria. Again some long walks. Going out myself on the 16th April to prepare for the season ahead!

Buggies included in price of Faldo and O'Connor. Never saw anyone walking course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Rule no.1,stay away from madeira

Why so?

• Advertisement

hi all,

heading to Lagos next week, looking at boavista, espiche + palmares, how strict are they on the presentation of a handicap cert. before playing?

was never asked for one, even in Vilamoura

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Guys,

We've 2 fourballs heading over later in April. We'd like to play a scramble on the last day, I think Laguna, playing around 10am, as we think the enthusiasm will have waned by then.

I think a straight scramble should be faster than a hungover fourball. Will we attract any notice or is it a bad idea?

Guys,

We've 2 fourballs heading over later in April. We'd like to play a scramble on the last day, I think Laguna, playing around 10am, as we think the enthusiasm will have waned by then.

I think a straight scramble should be faster than a hungover fourball. Will we attract any notice or is it a bad idea?

Laguna is lovely, I like a course that your not just whacking the driver on every hole, hybrids and irons required for shot at hole, they seem fairly laid back there to be honest, I played after 3 for twilight rate and course was half empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Guys,

provided your pace of play is ok, play whatever format you like. Nobody will bat an eyelid..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Heggs82

Last time I was in Villa Sol there there was a scramble competition, Never once asked for a hcp cert and played competitions over there. The guy I was with actually won the competition and was never asked. - Quick one guys, cheep golf courses over there? Anyone know of any?

Advertisement