Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prolotherapy- Anyone any experience with it?

Options
  • 20-03-2014 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

For the last 3 months I'v been suffering from an injury known as ''Turf Toe''. It sounds minor but is actually extremely debilitating. I haven't been able to kick a ball or push off my right foot without severe pain since the injury occurred. I'v been to physios and podiatrists and they haven't been able to do much for me. I'v been wearing custom orthotics for over a month now and have totally stopped doing anything that might put the area (MTP joint, at the base of the big toe) under pressure. I'v also taken anti-inflammatories and fish oil. It still has barely improved and apparently if not properly treated, osteo-arthritis will develop in the affected area.

After doing a lot of reading today I came upon a post on Joe DeFranco's website, here. Someone was asking his advice on the same injury I have. Joe recommended Prolotherapy. It seems to have a great success rate in people who get the injections. I really want to start this treatment, however I have to get a consultation with someone qualified in delivering it first.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with it? It's a relatively new form of treatment. I'm just desperate to get my foot sorted as I'm an extremely active person and I work in the fitness industry, so the injury is really affecting my lifestyle and general mood.

P.S. I'm living in Melbourne, Australia at the moment.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭thomqs

i wonder too

also is this covered by insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

thomqs wrote: »
    i wonder too
    Didn't really do anything for me. I ended up getting shots into the joint every fortnight for 6 weeks. However, my injury was much worse than I initially thought when I made that post. It's now been 16 months since the incident occurred and I'm still fecked. Had surgery at X-Mas and it's helped somewhat but I still don't feel ready to return to sport.

Prolotherapy might work wonders for some injuries, definitely not for mine though.
    also is this covered by insurance?
    I've no idea, since I had it done outside of Ireland. I ended up paying full whack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Thanks for the update. I looked into it a few years ago too but never went thru with it. Am glad now!

Hope you heal up soon.

You should try PRP that's another i'm considering but can't find anyone doing it in ireland either, if anyone finds anyone doing this in ireland feel free to post, my problem is a knee injury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fungie

You should try PRP that's another i'm considering but can't find anyone doing it in ireland either, if anyone finds anyone doing this in ireland feel free to post, my problem is a knee injury

Sports surgery clinic Santry does it. Although there is no proof that it works (on patella tendon anyway). I dont think insurance cover it.

fungie wrote: »
    Sports surgery clinic Santry does it. Although there is no proof that it works (on patella tendon anyway). I dont think insurance cover it.

I checked and 80% said it improved their ailment (even with improvements on a before/after MRI) probably won't be covered by insurance alright, until they are 100% sure it works, do you know how much the Santry clinic does it for? I'll check around and see if others do it, and if so, for a decent price, is there any chance you could get a valid claim for this with Revenue MED 1 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fungie

I checked and 80% said it improved their ailment (even with improvements on a before/after MRI) probably won't be covered by insurance alright, until they are 100% sure it works, do you know how much the Santry clinic does it for? I'll check around and see if others do it, and if so, for a decent price, is there any chance you could get a valid claim for this with Revenue MED 1 ?

No idea but a consult will be around 150 and treatment on top of that.

Advertisement