Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hen Question

Options
  • 19-03-2014 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

I had a rooster and four hens but the fox got three hens last week. I would like to get my one remaining hen to sit on some eggs to replace her sisters. I've read that if you put a hen in an enclosed space with a batch of eggs, she can become broody and will sit on the eggs. Im willing to give this a try but im wondering if I enclose her with some eggs today, if the eggs are a few days old already, will there be any chance they can develop into chicks? Or does the hen have to sit on fresh eggs?

Many thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

A hen who isnt inclined to sit on eggs, wont 'go' broody because she is enclosed with some eggs.
    If the egg is stored around 50-60 degrees, for up to 7 days I think, they're still viable. Would you borrow/buy an incubator?
    you might consider buying day old chicks since you are down to one unbroody hen?
    Interesting article on the subject of hatching eggs:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/09/hatch-along-with-chicken-chick-part-3.html

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

patsman07 wrote: »
    I had a rooster and four hens but the fox got three hens last week. I would like to get my one remaining hen to sit on some eggs to replace her sisters. I've read that if you put a hen in an enclosed space with a batch of eggs, she can become broody and will sit on the eggs. Im willing to give this a try but im wondering if I enclose her with some eggs today, if the eggs are a few days old already, will there be any chance they can develop into chicks? Or does the hen have to sit on fresh eggs?

Many thanks...

If a hen doesn't go sit as a pullet or the year after she will never sit.

Eggs hatched from incubators are less lightly to hatch their own chicks.

Bantums & Silkies are most lightly to go sit.

My advice to you - go on donedeal find a bantum or silkie cross hen (5-10euro) with a history of sitting, bring her home, when she goes sitting, buy Welsummer, RIR, light sussex or whatever fertile eggs, put them under her (10 eggs for a tenner).

Job done.

It could also just be easier to buy freshly hatched chicks - you don't seem to have very much experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Probably even easier to buy a few point of lay hens - with unsexed chicks you could wind up with a load of males.
    Ever considered a few rescue hens? I got a few around a year ago, they've really thrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Probably even easier to buy a few point of lay hens - with unsexed chicks you could wind up with a load of males.
    Ever considered a few rescue hens? I got a few around a year ago, they've really thrived.

VERY valid point. Ive bought hens that were pre point-of-lay - and I thought I knew what I was doing - ended up with 5 males and 1 female :eek: - so definately worth buying point of lay from a reputable person who has sexed them. And as Hesh's Umpire says, ex-battery hens are worth considering if you can find them or get your name on a waiting list

Advertisement