Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Na Mbads cork

Options
  • 19-03-2014 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭

I know it was closed but has this re-opened or anything lately? Went for a spin to Rocky bay at the weekend and spotted the sign still up there which looked in good nick so was thinking uhh has it re-opened.

Looking for a spot to have a wedding in and was thinking this would be loverly..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭phatmanwc

Milly33 wrote: »
    I know it was closed but has this re-opened or anything lately? Went for a spin to Rocky bay at the weekend and spotted the sign still up there which looked in good nick so was thinking uhh has it re-opened.

Looking for a spot to have a wedding in and was thinking this would be loverly..

I could be wrong, but I don't think it has re-opened. At least, I made the same mistake last Summer, seeing the sign, and getting my hopes up, but alas!

Had to be the most magical little hideaway in Cork! Here's hoping...(again, I'm open to correction on it's status).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

I know I think I had just gotten into seafood and kinda at the age where Mcdonalds is a dinner out and went there, thought mmm yumie and it was closed..

To soon, gone to soon. It would be loverly to open it up.

Jes it would nearly be the perfect spot for what we are looking for. Just incase the owners are looking at this I would like to see the place

Can anyone on here think of some quirky place where you could have a wedding in Cork. Not a standard hotel like the Rochestown Park but something like Mbads, r even Blackrock Castle.

Need quirky, place with accomadation and atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

How many guests?

Flemings is a cool wedding venue for a small group. The basement is a great spot for a good dj. The food is fantastic as well.

Flemings ohh I shall go google .. Numbers vary to me it depends on the venue itself.. So could be anything from 80 - 120 perhaps

• Advertisement

Flemings does up to 90 I think. I've been to two weddings there, both were lovely. Very relaxed, venue is beautiful.

cant place it at all even after looking at the webpage.. What else is around there

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

I was at one in the Moonsduster in Crosshaeven but that was a few years back.
    TBH I'd say any restaurant would consider letting you book it out for a night.
    I always thought Fishy Fishy in Kinsale would be lovely for a wedding.
    Lots in Kinsale - Man Friday, The Bulman - depends on numbers....
    Also thought Blackrock Castle or Gallo & Galetti in Wilton. Totally depends on your taste/desires...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Any restaurant with nearby accommodation would take ye on. If yere budget is big enough then possibly...

http://www.rectory.ie/
    http://www.blairscove.ie/
    http://www.barnabrowhouse.ie/

cant place it at all even after looking at the webpage.. What else is around there

It's up in tivoli. It's just off the tivoli road. If you've not been there before all you can see of it is the sign on the road i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

You asked for quirky :D

http://camdenfortmeagher.ie/private-bookings/

If you're thinking summer, then the views here are stunning - best in the harbour I'd say....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Flemings is excellent actually. Was there for a wedding recently.
    Ballinacurra House in Kinsale is class but expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭.red.

Not quirky and no acommodation but the viaduct does the odd wedding. You only need to look at the que for carvery on a sunday to see how good the food is in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Went to a wedding at Bunnies in Myrtleville - was a nice venue for a small wedding overlooking the sea especially since the weather was good that day. The couple had a trad band and they played out in the patio.

Barnabrow house is certainly quirky, got married there myself.

On Sean na mBads I really miss it myself. Used to love going there on a Sunday afternoon. Had a few family functions there and it was perfect for us. Hopefully one of these days it will reopen with the same style of food.

Oh thank you for all these replies, wow the fort would be tops if there was somewhere to stay there don't know if I could do that to my family haha. But must even make a trip there now that it is open again.

Bunnies I don't know Im not a fan, I used to love the place and was delighted when they reopened but when we called it was not the greatest. The waitress was ok but not very much help, she brought the food out that was it, then disappeared with the change after the meal only that I made a point of waiting I don't think she would have come back which I thought was very cheeky. The food was nothing to write home about I just didn't think it was wow.

Moonduster I cant place this google isn't pulling up anything for it.

We had actually got in contact with ballincurra but someone told us it was a bit snouty so we were put off. Barnabrow was one that first came to mind drove a wedding car down there before but it has a awfully bad name now so it does, rude staff, managers trying to get more money from the couple on the day and a lot of break-ins. I emailed them too, as I wanted prices and to say did they realise they had a very bad rep and heard nought back..

I suppose we are looking for somewhere quirky, with accomdation for all, and well food we can bring in ourselves if it works out that way, somewhere safe for kids and room for them to go running around. not fuzzy at all haha

.red. wrote: »
    Not quirky and no acommodation but the viaduct does the odd wedding. You only need to look at the que for carvery on a sunday to see how good the food is in there.

Passed this the other day and we did both kinda go ohh we could have it there, just where to stay onsite as such

Ballinacurra is fab alright, loads of character, but expensive. Is the bay view in ballycotton too ordinary? I was at a wedding there where thecouple did an outdoor ceremony on the cliffs. Was good fun. Food is good too.

what about http://bunnyconnellan.ie/ or http://www.royalcork.com/

stay in the carrigaline court ?

not quirky but the east village in Douglas has a few bedrooms too.

I suppose we are looking for somewhere quirky, with accomdation for all, and well food we can bring in ourselves if it works out that way, somewhere safe for kids and room for them to go running around. not fuzzy at all haha

Then you could look at hiring out a house. Theres lots of manor type places that you can rent the entire house out and bring in your own catering. To fit a very large crowd you might need a marquee though. Could end as expensive as a hotel.
    http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/ireland/IR441.htm
    just one I know near where i live. Loads of hotels near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭.red.

Passed this the other day and we did both kinda go ohh we could have it there, just where to stay onsite as such
    Pitch a few tents in the gargen??

The innishannon house hotel is very nice too. Ive eaten there a few times and only heard good things about the place. The outside could do with a lick of paint but inside its lovely.
    Does the person who helps pick the venue get an invite? Lol

• Advertisement

Ballinacurra is extortionate!
    Maybe the Moonduster is closed.
    Inisbeg is fab but a bit of a drive.
    I've heard good things about Blackwater Castle.
    I like Springfort Hall.
    Small weddings at Hayfield Manor pricey but gorgeous.
    What kind of budget are you thinking?
    Acton's in Kinsale reopened.
    I'd love Longueville house.
    Check out the Blue Book houses.
    Grainstore at Ballymaloe also fab for weddings.

Think you should be able to get married at OPW venues eg Charlesfort

Also marquees are CRAZY dear.
    Cronin's in Crosshaven has done small weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Gosh never heard that about Barnabrow. Must have gone down since I had the wedding. Somebody posted a link to Blairs Cove near Bantry - looks quite nice and quirky too.

I've heard similar about barnabrow. The rectory is goosed as well since the nearby hotel (the marine?) got flooded and closed. No accoms is a problem. I would have recommended fota house too, cos it's gorgeous, but heard an awful story about the fire alarms going off all night there at a wedding and noone available to switch them off.

Id put the rectory and blairs cove above barnabrow always as the locations are far prettier. Norm for rectory was accomodation in the marine down the road but im not sure that reopened this year?
    Hotels with good views> dunmore house, garryvoe are both very good.

nooooo not Garryvoe haha I just don't get that hotel well not for a wedding theres a lack of vibe. Shame to hear alright about barnabrow as it is so pretty but again all the stories lately are to stay away. Even the no response from them I thought was a bit much.

Just going to scan through the Blue Books now and see..Ohhh and Blackwater that is the place love it, the place, the grounds, the people who run it are lovely but I don't know can we afford it

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭henryd65

Have you looked at Ballyvolane House near Fermoy ?

Yep we called there. Loverly house and grounds, but a little pricey and you are stuck with places to stay. It would be grand for a very small wedding (tiny tiny one) other than that people would have to bus it back to the nearest town to hit the hay..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ballinacurra House is extortionate.

The Rectory is gorgeous, especially the views, but I was at a wedding there and they kick you out by 1am iirc.

• Advertisement

Dromquinna in Killarney is divine
    Do you want to be close to Cork City though.
    I think Jacob's on the Mall would be cool to book out

Advertisement