Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a "Completionist"?

Options
  • 18-03-2014 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭

Certainly not me anyway. I'd put loads of time and effort into a game, but I have never went out my way to finish everything on it whilst refusing to switch to anything else until I did.

Since I got my PS4, the only game I've really put so much effort into was Assassin's Creed IV. I still have loads to do though.

What about anyone here?

And while I'm at it, how do you guys do it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

gamercfc wrote: »
    Certainly not me anyway. I'd put loads of time and effort into a game, but I have never went out my way to finish everything on it whilst refusing to switch to anything else until I did.

Since I got my PS4, the only game I've really put so much effort into was Assassin's Creed IV. I still have loads to do though.

What about anyone here?

I am in some games for Xbox360 achievements. Completed a decent few 100% but the likes of COD/Battlefield I would always finish story. But never the likes of Final Fantasy do I finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It honestly depends on the game. If I enjoy it, I will. I did enjoy the collection aspects is Arkham Asylum, but as the series went on, I was less and less inclined to collect them all as they didn't vary. Same applied to Assassins Creed.

If there's just too much, I won't bother. I think Castlevania 2 has over 500 collectible. No. Thank. You.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,151 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Depends on the game, I got every achievement in Borderlands 2 but only because I was still enjoying the game while I was doing it. I really hate pointless collectibles like the feathers in assassins creed though, don't tend to go out of my way in those instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Depends on the game..
    If a game has fun achievements then i'll try my best. But something like AC4 where there is just loads of little collectibles all over the place, I can't be bothered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

chrislad wrote: »
    It honestly depends on the game. If I enjoy it, I will. I did enjoy the collection aspects is Arkham Asylum, but as the series went on, I was less and less inclined to collect them all as they didn't vary. Same applied to Assassins Creed.

If there's just too much, I won't bother. I think Castlevania 2 has over 500 collectible. No. Thank. You.

I have 85% completion on GTA 5......since December. I haven't really touched it since. I got 1000/1000 on Assassin's Creed 2 but never played the expansion DLC. I have like 6 completed games according to my Xbox account. I sometimes do get in the mood to dive in and try and do everything on the game. But then I always have another game come into my head later on and I just go and play that. Curse of an open-minded gamer I would say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

No. Most of the time I want to finish the game and move on. I hate stuff like the collectibles in Assassin's Creed and the Riddler trophies in the Arkham games. The exception I make is for Mario games, they I 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

If I can blaze through it in 10-12 hours or less I will. COD games are the only games I have 1000g in. Haven't the patience or interest in collecting feathers or shooting pigeons. Too much hassle for a small reward. Much rather play something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

It would depend on the game. By and large I would strive for the platinum but there are some where I'm just not bothered. Got platinum in both FFXIIIs for example but NFS Most Wanted which involves online trophies I didn't bother getting the online ones which left me three or four short.

General rule of them is if it has online trophies, I won't be too concerned with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Like others, it depends on the game. If I'm still enjoying the game after completing the story and whatever, I'll take a look at the trophy requirements and see what needs doing. If I think I'll still enjoy the game doing it, I'll go for it, but still wouldn't really be too pushed about getting 100% or not. If it happens, it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

No, I hate padding in games with endless fetch quests and trophies. I got all the Riddler trophies in Arkham Asylum cos I was bored one day and got a faq showing where they all were but I never try for collectibles usually, most trophies I get are stuff you get along the way. I've unlocked guns and attachments in COD and the like alright but they just happen as you're putting in the playtime anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Risteard wrote: »
    It would depend on the game. By and large I would strive for the platinum but there are some where I'm just not bothered. Got platinum in both FFXIIIs for example but NFS Most Wanted which involves online trophies I didn't bother getting the online ones which left me three or four short.

General rule of them is if it has online trophies, I won't be too concerned with them.

I hate online trophies/achievements. Especially games where online isn't the game's strong point. Tomb Raider has online trophies and I just wouldn't be bothered, like. LEGO Marvel is a game I would consider doing 100% on. It's all single player, no online garbage.

I am not sure if Call of Duty does online trophies/achievements anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Risteard wrote: »

Online or co-op can feck off as far as I'm concerned. Otherwise, I think I've only completed a handful of games - mostly Lego ones as they're pretty easy. Even then, those "Hop around for three hours using such-and-such a character" ones are beyond pointless. I'd rather get RSI playing a new game frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Not any more. Remember collecting packages in GTAIII, searching the internet for locations and then traversing the map to pick them up. Ain't nobody got time for that, anymore.
    I did platinum Far Cry 3 but it was easy to do and really loved the game while playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I did all the side missions in Mass Effect - such as the loyalty missions (ME2) for example. But I wouldn't be arsed collecting all the Turian insignia, Matriarch writings or gases/metals in ME1. I think that adequately describes how much of a completionist I'd be - relevant ****: yes, stupid **** just for the sake of it: no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

When i was younger i was. Wouldn't consider a game cleared till i 100% it. These days my backlog is so big i just want to finish the story and be done it with. Unless its a game that I'm really really really enjoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Like most that have posted it depends on the game, if the achievements are easy or I'm really enjoying the game I'll usually go for as many as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

When I saw the title I thought you meant do you finish games. :o

Finishing games is a tough enough thing to do never mind completing them.

God even when I had time as a teenager I wouldnt have been completing games. It'd drive me insane!!!

I'm thinking the likes of Lego City Undercover where you have the game finished at ah I cant remember probably about 30% and the other 70% was going around doin side missions and collecting a million things. Not for me thanks although collecting the lego was kinda addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

I always start off a game with the intention of collecting everything and 100% completion. But I am more of a story driven person and after the initial story is done I find my interest waning and the need to collect everything disappears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I'll typically look at the trophies before starting into a game and see if there's anything work taking note of, then play through. Once I'm done, I'll see if there were any that looked easy enough to pick up afterwards, and if there are, I'll spend another hour or two picking them up. Certainly not into anything that involves collecting a bazillion hidden items or anything though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I can be. I love replaying games on harder modes too, or aiming for high scores. The Xbox360 achievements help drive this too, although it's mostly for the challenge. I love getting all the achievements in a game that I enjoy. I hate, however, collecting collectables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I dislike it when I leave something undone but don't have enough of a problems to go back and 100% games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lukehandypants

Depends on the game, battlefield 4 never play the single player I don't see the point.
    It's mostly games that have story's and are single player games that iI'll finish, such as assassin's creed, far cry, half life, Grand theft auto. These games were made in mind for the single player whereas bf4 is all about the online thing and always has been .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The only thing I try to do with every SP game I start is finish the campaign. If I liked it, I will finish it again in a harder mode. Other than that, achievements/trophies mean absolutely nothing to me, neither do in game collectibles. I'll jump through hoops to get nice weapons and armour etc as they're beneficial, but not hidden feathers or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Nah I couldn't be arsed going for all the trophies and accomplishments. I love exploring new areas and finding new equipment but to try and get all trophies in a game sounds like a chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I tend to drag out the single player games, eg, I'll do as many side quests, explore a lot etc etc as I'm playing through the story, but once my attention starts to wane, i find it hard to keep going. I had 40 or so hours into red dead redemption, almost finished and didnt touch it for a year and a half, before finally finishing the story last christmas, Fallout 3 was a similar experience. I started Mass Effect 3 recently, played 3 hours, but it just hasnt hooked me. a pity too, cause I kind of want to finish the trilogy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't really afford to be. Too much games not enough time. I usualyl finish a game and then leave it and move to the next one. However there's the odd time I love a game so much that I continue playing. Dragon Quest IX was one and I recently played a new game plus of Shin Megami Tensei IV since I loved it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The "Trials" series with the motorbikes and the Tony Hawks skater games would be the only ones that I really try to get 100%. The rest... I play whilst they're fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Depends ont he game and how much fun it is to get my version of 100%

RDR and GTA 3/4/5 Ass C Brotherhood I get almost everything cba with packages/100 collectibles.

Really depends on the game, blitzed Revelations and never once used a different weapon other than the stabby mac stabby thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Not enough time in life, especially with PS+ and now Dark Souls 2.

Play it, complete it and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I think achievements are a gimmick and they should get rid of them ASAP. Gaming pre achievement was a better experience.

Advertisement