Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining my 1st Cycling Club

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

Beasty wrote: »
    We are talking 3rd party risks here (and certainly not the risk I was taking on when racing (fully insured) a couple of weeks ago) - ie the possiblilty someone sues you because you (or more importantly an uninsured rider) causes an accident which may injure a completely innocent 3rd party (or indeed their property). If you or they are happy to take that risk, it's your (and/or uninsured rider's) assets that's at risk. If it's an official club spin, the assets of the club, as well as any organisers (which can include commitee members) may also be at risk. For that reason it makes absolutely no sense for clubs to allow uninsured riders to participate in their official spins

I have to side with Beasty on this one.

I would much prefer the scenario that kilallanerr speaks off and I remember always training with different clubs over the years. I was welcomed by all and insurance was never mentioned.

Races were less structured, easier to organise, and probably more enjoyable than the present day.

Cyclists were easily pleased too. They were happy to race and never looked for tea or cake. It was all about the bike and you ate when you reached home.

But times have changed and we need to meet the new challenges. Most of these are not competition related but more to do with health/safety and administration.

As Beasty outlined, clubs have to be careful and look at the bigger picture. Sometimes harsh decisions have to be made and it is often difficult to find a clubman to communicate these decisions as they are often met with a similar response as kilallanerr opines.
    The communicator quickly becomes the bollix according to the offended.

I would love to cycle as kilallanerr outlines but I think Beasty is leaning towards the side of reality.

It's unfortunate and is probably an impediment to the growth of our sport of racing.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I admit it - I am that Bollix (in our club anyway, but actually I've spent quite bit of time explaining some of these issues particularly to fellow committee members, some of whom hsd little idea of the potential exposure to both the club and to them as individuals resposible for the club's activities. Society is becoming far more litigeous. and insurance is there (and required) for a reason - insurance companies are also scrutinsing claims and exposures a lot more closely)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

^^^ Thanks to all for your input in here!
    omri wrote: »
    It probably must have felt quite lonely too :) ... alone in the dark.

Nah, force of habit tbh! I started that way and been grand upto now. Some days I am in no humour for small-talk so me being on a group-spin on those days probably would not be in best interest for anyone ;)
    We have a sign on sheet for non members of our club. You are limited to 2 spins. As said earlier you need to be firm but fair otherwise boys can take the p**s and you are wide open to litigation

The original question I joined the club I am with for the simple fact that I was very well looked after on my first outing.. Ended up being pushed home by 2 others. There is great camaraderie and we all look out for each other. They were the first group I went out with.

Great plan to join your local club ;)

You know this man contacted me recently and put me thinking. Out of no-where VanhireBoys, twas real nice though :)

Going on first club spin this week-end!

Thanks so much Everyone for the info in here,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

I looked at the nearest club to where I live but concluded they were too competitive for me. Great club though but just not for me. Next nearest I didn't really know anyone. Same with the next. So I joined a club back in my home village which is 20k away. On the downside I need to throw the bike up on the car to get there. But on the plus side it is a great club, a great balance between leisure and competition for those who want it. Lovely people and great crack and banter on the spins and a social side. And when the weather warms up I will try to cycle there rather than drive. It will add 40k to the club spin though so maybe not every time.

I looked at the nearest club to where I live but concluded they were too competitive for me. Great club though but just not for me. Next nearest I didn't really know anyone. Same with the next. So I joined a club back in my home village which is 20k away. On the downside I need to throw the bike up on the car to get there. But on the plus side it is a great club, a great balance between leisure and competition for those who want it. Lovely people and great crack and banter on the spins and a social side. And when the weather warms up I will try to cycle there rather than drive. It will add 40k to the club spin though so maybe not every time.

Thank you ,

From watching the local club, they are just far too serious and intense for my liking. I'm not looking for that.
    Went with a club just starting up; in a town close to my Heart, where I spent many a fun-filled loving day with my grand-parents growing up :o - still only a 30-mins drive but scenery and surroundings are beautiful.
    Besides, I can cycle on my home-turf any day without fear. If something happens then I know someone somewhere close to assist.

Up at 7:15 this morning and heading into work at 14:30 until 23:00 so should sleep well tonight! Nothing like a bit of Sun, Rain, Hail & Wind today on this leisurely spin to feel refreshed though.

Damn did I miss cycling! Short spin today, no real pressure or challenge for me, my fitness levels surprised me today, but Wonderful Company!

Why didn't I join a Cycling Club sooner?!
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭redmenace1

QUOTE Beasty "The most important part of insurance in my view is cover for 3rd parties. If an uninsured individaul is permitted on a club spin and that individual, for example, crashes into someone by ignoring a red light on a ped crossing, that individual can sue potentially 3 categories of party - the person(s) causing the accident (who without cover may not be able to afford such a claim), the club organising the spin (who may not be able to rely on CI insurance because the club has not followed the rules set out by CI which provide the 3 spin limit assuming proper sign-on) and the club committee who have effectively condoned uninsured riders participating in their spins thereby possibly knowingly contravening CI and insurance rules (possibly also any identifiable organiser of the spin). It may well be that this has not been tested in the courts, but as a committee member of a club myself I would certainly not wish to become a test case and will always insist on anyone taking part in events put on by the club being adequately insured. If not they can perhaps do their own spin, and face the consequences of triggering a 3rd party claim alone".[/QUOTE]

Hi there,
    Just came across that discussion recently.
    I am a member of a club and have brought to this to the attention of the committee, as I agree there is an element of exposure here to claims resulting from the actions or behaviours of non-members or guests. I wonder has anyone came up with appropriate wording or is there anything on CI website to give guidance on this? There is stuff on CI that relates more to specific events rather than training spins.
    Would a disclaimer that indemnifies the club/committee and other members that is signed by guests suffice.
    Has anyone any views on this, please share them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭redmenace1

07Lapierre wrote: »

Ok thanks for that, I will have a look through it - it seems well laid out & easy to navigate.

Can someone tell me how I go about cancelling the membership?

Thing is: New Club. Monies paid up by me and membership form signed. Club not yet fully registered with Cycling Ireland.

Some things have cropped up and when I spoke with others about it, they say their clubs don't operate like that.
    I signed up and paid up on first meeting due to club without any trial spin which I will do now.

What step do I take.

In short: I said above I had great company and I did. 4-of-us turned up that morning, 2gals and 2guys. The 2guys took off and in the space of the 2-hours cycling us 2gals only met them ONCE and spoke about 6words and that was it. Never waited; never contacted us; never seen when we returned either. It's been bothering me as not what I expected and others have told me that's NOT how their club spins actually go.

I'd like to join a registered experienced cycling club to help me with confidence and seriously don't think this club will do that.

What steps do I take? Join another registered club and if CI query, then I explain. I did message CI through their site to put the question to them there, but not sure how long I'll be waiting for reply.

I don't want to drive 30mins for more club spins to have that happen repeatedly. We got on great the 2-of-us but just taken aback at the general behaviour of the 2guys, one of which was the organiser! Does that happen on your 1st club spin with newbies.

Hope someone can help,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Can someone tell me how I go about cancelling the membership?

Thing is: New Club. Monies paid up by me and membership form signed. Club not yet fully registered with Cycling Ireland.

Some things have cropped up and when I spoke with others about it, they say their clubs don't operate like that.
    I signed up and paid up on first meeting due to club without any trial spin which I will do now.

What step do I take.

In short: I said above I had great company and I did. 4-of-us turned up that morning, 2gals and 2guys. The 2guys took off and in the space of the 2-hours cycling us 2gals only met them ONCE and spoke about 6words and that was it. Never waited; never contacted us; never seen when we returned either. It's been bothering me as not what I expected and others have told me that's NOT how their club spins actually go.

I'd like to join a registered experienced cycling club to help me with confidence and seriously don't think this club will do that.

What steps do I take? Join another registered club and if CI query, then I explain. I did message CI through their site to put the question to them there, but not sure how long I'll be waiting for reply.

I don't want to drive 30mins for more club spins to have that happen repeatedly. We got on great the 2-of-us but just taken aback at the general behaviour of the 2guys, one of which was the organiser! Does that happen on your 1st club spin with newbies.

Hope someone can help,
    kerry4sam

You can be a member of more than one club but can hold a CI licence/membership with only one.

CI would not become involved unless there was a problem between you and the club with which you held your licence. CI clubs need to be affiliated and paid up. Otherwise CI have no jurisdiction and cannot become involved.

This would not be applicable in your case as you state that the club are not fully registered with CI. Therefore members would not have obtained CI licences in the name of the club.

All you can do is request your money to be returned and explain that the club is not really suitable for your needs.

There should be no problem with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement