Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fitness test- running

Options
  • 17-03-2014 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

so I have my fitness test at the end of the week. im a bit afraid about the running. im a male so 1.5 miles under 11 minutes 40 seconds. for this would you want to be running flat out the whole time? or what would your average speed need to be

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Have you practiced the run yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Map out 1.5 miles and run it. See how fast you are. If you're under the time, grand job. If you're not, eat Weetabix on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Map out 1.5 miles and run it. See how fast you are. If you're under the time, grand job. If you're not, eat Weetabix on the day.

This is the best advice you'll get OP. Just keep timing yourself and try to beat your previous best each time. I've always found i'd run it a bit faster on the day as well as when he pressures on you'll be more determined and push yourself harder.

To be fair 11 mins and 40 secs is a generous amount of time to run a mile and a half.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

This is the best advice you'll get OP. Just keep timing yourself and try to beat your previous best each time. I've always found i'd run it a bit faster on the day as well as when he pressures on you'll be more determined and push yourself harder.

To be fair 11 mins and 40 secs is a generous amount of time to run a mile and a half.

is it a flat course to run.will you have any time to warm up or will you be just starting out from cold and going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

is it a flat course to run.will you have any time to warm up or will you be just starting out from cold and going for it.

Athlone, the curragh and cathal Brugha/ Phoenix park routes are all fairly flat.

A ptl will bring you through a warm up and you will be dispatched in groups.

11:40 seconds isn't a hard time to beat but its not something you could do easily if you haven't prepared. Also with the intake only months away you'd wanna be bursting your balls everyday because you'll suffer big time if your not fit.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

mengele wrote: »
    so I have my fitness test at the end of the week. im a bit afraid about the running. im a male so 1.5 miles under 11 minutes 40 seconds. for this would you want to be running flat out the whole time? or what would your average speed need to be

Why did you not practice for it ?

Great user name by the way, not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

c-90 wrote: »
    Athlone, the curragh and cathal Brugha/ Phoenix park routes are all fairly flat.

A ptl will bring you through a warm up and you will be dispatched in groups.

11:40 seconds isn't a hard time to beat but its not something you could do easily if you haven't prepared. Also with the intake only months away you'd wanna be bursting your balls everyday because you'll suffer big time if your not fit.

Good luck!

Honestly, I would have thought anyone who has any interest in being a soldier would let themselves get into such a state of physical disrepair, that they couldnt pass an 11.40 1.5 mile run easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

discus wrote: »
    Honestly, I would have thought anyone who has any interest in being a soldier would let themselves get into such a state of physical disrepair, that they couldnt pass an 11.40 1.5 mile run easily.

Depends on how sedentary your life has been up until that point. Going from couch potato to passing that fitness test isn't a quick transformation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Xios wrote: »
    Depends on how sedentary your life has been up until that point. Going from couch potato to passing that fitness test isn't a quick transformation.

11.40 isnt difficult, a young person of the correct weight, running for a month 3 x a week should easily pass it.

Im in my late 40s and can do 10mins.30secs and Im only half fit.

Xios wrote: »

But that's exactly my point. Someone who has had a sedentary lifestyle, and then decides that they are gonna become fit enough to be soldiers, are going to be injury cases from day one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Packoman

Does the time matter once it's below the limit? So if you get under 10 mins do you have a better chance of getting accepted than someone who got 11 mins?

If they say best effort, do it best effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

I spoke to my neighbour who did the test today, the PTL told him under 11 min was a good time as there was a gale blowing around the route. So they are looking for something more than wheezing across the line on 11 mins 39 sec, but at least they are taking conditions into consideration,

By the way if you have tattoos that show above the collar, or below the mid fore-arm, don't waste a journey they're not interested, and you will have to fill out a Garda Vetting form on the day, as well as being asked questions about previous convictions (even speeding points:eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Axelf0128

Quick question I'm doing the fitness test in rathmines on Monday, I have applied twice and got to the medical stage in 2012 but I was away for a month and never seen the email, bit foolish, so I had to apply again, my question is does it matter wat time you do it as long as you come under the time or can you still be knocked out the competition if your time is let's say 10.50mins ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

https://www.facebook.com/DefenceForces/posts/10150492385651166

found that regarding tattoos , its 2 years old so I am not sure if their was an update in policy
    what does he mean below the wrist? does the mean the mid forarm you where talking about? or does below the wrist mean just below it

Cause I have a tattoo thats about 8cm below my wrist and it stretchs from their too just below my elbow, does this mean I am out before I even started? I thought the rule was once it can't be seen in uniform :/ Mine can't be seen in a Long sleeve shirt or anything so I thought I was ok
    Last Thing I want is too stroll up do the tests for them too say no thanks over a tattoo :/ I'd get a it removed if thats the case but it takes far too long too have one removed

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Axelf0128

Prob a stupid question as well, but does anyone know if you can listen to music with your headphones while doing the running ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Axelf0128 wrote: »
    Prob a stupid question as well, but does anyone know if you can listen to music with your headphones while doing the running ?

Just don't ask.

And I wouldn't show up with oversized Beats or something like that, use discreet plugs and you'll be grand.

Lads, re the run.. Its a PASS/FAIL and not graded so don't worry if you've just shaded it under the required time compared to another lad who came in two minutes ahead of you ~ you're both graded as a pass and the time won't reflect on you being selected or not.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    what does he mean below the wrist? does the mean the mid forarm you where talking about? or does below the wrist mean just below it
    It's not below the wrist, the Lad I was talking to said they were shown a point about 2 inches above the wrist bone, and told anything below that was out

I thought the rule was once it can't be seen in uniform :/ Mine can't be seen in a Long sleeve shirt or anything so I thought I was ok
    Everyday uniform is not long sleeves

SIRREX wrote: »
    It's not below the wrist, the Lad I was talking to said they were shown a point about 2 inches above the wrist bone, and told anything below that was out

I thought the rule was once it can't be seen in uniform :/ Mine can't be seen in a Long sleeve shirt or anything so I thought I was ok
    Everyday uniform is not long sleeves

Yes everyday uniform being army uniform such as the uniform used by officers when you get promoted things like that
    or even when your in full gear the camo uniform is all long sleeved
    apart from that when your training surely they don't mind tattoos near the wrist as its training

Heres a pic of my tattoo (well the end of my tattoo) too show how close it is too my wrist
    Just want too know if its acceptable or not

9qwrh4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

your everyday uiniform in the army (during summer time) is shirt sleeves rolled up to Approx.3 inches above the back of the elbow so chances are your tattoo will show. But dont leave it stop you, show up if they test and say nothing how bad, if they stop you then all you did was waste a morning and managed to find out its not for you. The army is changing so who knows they might allow it, I have heard things lately that if you have it coming in then its ok but if you get it while your in thats a different story but I also heard the direct opposite so who knows.

Just turn up and chance your arm - hiyooooo

But srsly flks, if you want it at all, it's worth a risk, right?

This is all just ball hops (barrack room rumours), tattoo's won't make a damned bit of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 andmc

Did the fitness test myself yesterday and I can assure you they sent people away with tattoos which were visibly above the collar-line. That was the only place on the body though.

andmc wrote: »
    Did the fitness test myself yesterday and I can assure you they sent people away with tattoos which were visibly above the collar-line. That was the only place on the body though.

Who was sending people away?.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 andmc

The captain/general who was managing the induction. They made it clear it was an issue and sent them off

andmc wrote: »
    The captain/general who was managing the induction. They made it clear it was an issue and sent them off

I just phoned one of the lads who was tested this morning, and you're right ~ neck tattoo's were an issue.

But he said it was only neck tattoo's which he remembers being an issue.

This is all just ball hops (barrack room rumours), tattoo's won't make a damned bit of difference.

Anya Jealous Stepparent, it makes all the difference and it's not new it's just that they are enforcing it for all now, where it used only be strictly applied to those going for the Officer ranks. I served with a Fitter Cpl who was going for CFR and was told he had a place on the course but his tattoos on his forearms had to go. This was in the days before laser removal, so he had skin grafts to cover them and went on to return to us as our Workshops Officer

I just phoned one of the lads who was tested this morning, and you're right ~ neck tattoo's were an issue.

But he said it was only neck tattoo's which he remembers being an issue.

well as soon as I get my date for my fitness test I'll let you know how I get on regarding my tattoo
    as its quite close to my wrist but not close enough too be visible in a shirt
    but see how it goes I suppose

• Advertisement

well as soon as I get my date for my fitness test I'll let you know how I get on regarding my tattoo
    as its quite close to my wrist but not close enough too be visible in a shirt
    but see how it goes I suppose

I asked in work about that this morning and the big issue was neck and hand tattoo's.

A point to note for any lads taking the test, the lads are telling me that a lot of guys are turning up and running tracksuits (including hoodies) and despite advice to get into light clothing they're ignoring that advice and start to shed the clothes on the run.

Take the advice and run in something sensible.

There's a very old saying 'Dress for the second mile'.

Advertisement