Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on solar

Options
  • 16-03-2014 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,
    We just recently got the house totally rewired and replumbed and asked to have it "solar ready". We're now ready to get solar. Any advice on how to select type and size of solar panal, or indeed advice on installers?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Linto wrote: »
    Hi,
    We just recently got the house totally rewired and replumbed and asked to have it "solar ready". We're now ready to get solar. Any advice on how to select type and size of solar panal, or indeed advice on installers?

Stick to recognized brand names, lot of rubbish imported over the last 10 years.
    Have it sized correctly.
    Be careful how you choose your installer, lots of companies selling over priced crap. Be wary of "special offers" from smooth sales people. Never trust cold callers from some of these companies offering discounts if you allow them to advertise on your property. It's a scam to make you think you're getting a great deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Get it sized correctly, but from experience I'd rather have an extra tube.
    Personally I prefer tube panels. I've specified many types and seen many in action, so that's just my preference from experience.

Beware of "special offers" and cold callers. Good systems tend to sell themselves - who doesn't want reliable, efficient almost free hot water for 8 moths of the year?

Always get 3 quotes minimum. Do your homework & ask around for recommendations of installers from family and friends, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dfader

RKQ wrote: »
    Get it sized correctly, but from experience I'd rather have an extra tube.
    Personally I prefer tube panels. I've specified many types and seen many in action, so that's just my preference from experience.

Beware of "special offers" and cold callers. Good systems tend to sell themselves - who doesn't want reliable, efficient almost free hot water for 8 moths of the year?

Always get 3 quotes minimum. Do your homework & ask around for recommendations of installers from family and friends, etc

How is it free if it costs 4500 on average to install.
    If using a 3kw immersion for the same 8 months for say 2hr per day at .16 per kwh. Cost per yr; 2*30*8*3*.16 =230 euro. 19 yr payback? Not anti solar - just saying or am i missing something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

dfader wrote: »
    How is it free

I never said it was free?

The OP hasn't asked about installation costs.
    Just saying or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 engel44

HeLLO, have 2 solar option, for my budget.

Option 1 8kw battery 3.2 solar panels

Or

7.5 kw solar panel no battery

What you go for THANKS

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Perhaps Get ‘like for like’ quotes for a start?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

The Big Tech show has a nice customer guide to solar. https://www.independent.ie/business/the-big-tech-show-a-beginners-guide-to-putting-in-solar-panels-at-home-in-ireland-41483647.html

They advise against batteries but listen and judge for yourself

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Your ESB rate of 16c per kWh sounds low. Other than night rate i dont think there's any plans in Ireland offering this.

Tube as in evacuated tubes?

I have not seen them being installed in over 10 years!

@Linto Get a recommended Installer out. Get them to price the biggest array you can afford. There is no substitute to a big array. I have a 4.7 kW array, 5.2 kWh Battery and Eddi Hot Water divertor since 2017.

Do you have an EV?

What space heating and hot water heating system do you have currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have you checked the date of previous posts especially the one you quoted? 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Post edited by MAULBROOK on

On another note, can you point me to the nearest spec savers 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

And have you checked the date of previous posts especially the one you quoted? 😁😁😁

Advertisement