Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a Smoker not a Dealer! :(

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Jumboman wrote: »
    Medical cannabis is supposed to be available Ireland soon.

The sooner they take this drug out of the hands of scumbags the better.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/medicinal-cannabis-available-here-in-the-next-year-28942034.html
    That was for Sativex/Nabiximols, not for the plant. There's a huge difference between the two. Even if there wasn't, possession of any controlled drug without a prescription is illegal for most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

b_mac wrote: »
    You smoke cannabis and have a 14 year old daughter?

Shouldn't have been the DS paying you a visit, should have been social services.

Right on.........
    Then perhaps the dog warden could raid the gaff also.
    Might as well go for a hat trick of resource wastage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The sick tunnelvision dogged loyal slavelike focus of some of the drones here in this thread on what has been declared legal or illegal is laughable, scary and deeply disturbing.
    More than a 100 years ago it was declared illegal by the rulers then that Irish people own any land.....would you have followed that sick kind of legislation with the same spineless thoughtless mindnumbing doggish loyalty........
    People please do realize that most of the laws in this 'country' are just rules put in place to help big businesses or political movements to keep their power over you.

Are you after having a drag?:D

this is not a thread on whether cannabis or its use should be legalised.

if it was you might get a lot of different responses from people posting here.

as it is, the OP has a problem with the Guards searching her house under warrant. ( a legally obtained warrant )

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

b_mac wrote: »
    You smoke cannabis and have a 14 year old daughter?

Shouldn't have been the DS paying you a visit, should have been social services.
    :D
    :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

The sick tunnelvision dogged loyal slavelike focus of some of the drones here in this thread on what has been declared legal or illegal is laughable, scary and deeply disturbing.
    More than a 100 years ago it was declared illegal by the rulers then that Irish people own any land.....would you have followed that sick kind of legislation with the same spineless thoughtless mindnumbing doggish loyalty........
    People please do realize that most of the laws in this 'country' are just rules put in place to help big businesses or political movements to keep their power over you.

...em,...........Hammered..Hippie.....is....bang...........on............like.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Joan Burtons Sexy Knickers

It is gas reading all the stoners trying to justify their law breaking.

The country would be a better place with all the stoners in jail thinking about their crimes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Tell people you re off the weed op. Once they find a crumb it justifies any damage they do to your property.
    Keep your secret a secret.
    As regards the social services comment that just rediculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 loubella

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs but wow the moral police are surely out in full force tonight. For those that think having a small amount of illegal substances in my home means it is fair game to be raided, please be aware the D.S. do not care about chasing down smokers. If they did then every second home could face the same harassment that I faced. They only raid the homes of dealers and in order to do so must have substantial evidence which is brought before a judge/peace commissioner. So twice my home has been raided on the evidence that I am a dealer. All I want is for the ombudsman to investigate how they can twice act on the basis of false information and to investigate their so-called evidence. What they have done is a serious waste of manpower, time, and taxpayers money. Whatever your opinion might be on my cannabis smoking you should surely care about that point. And it is victimization. You don't have to care about that point but I do.

Regarding smoking cannabis with an anxiety disorder. Yes, there are reports that cannabis can increase anxiety. There are also reports that it can reduce it and I personally find its the latter for me. I could of course go down the route of taking highly addictive pharmaceutical substances but the natural method has less risk of side effects. Cannabis isn't the devil's harvest, despite what some of the less open-minded posters have been conditioned to believe. But that's a totally separate thread.

To the other posters, thanks for the advise and support. I am more determined now than ever to not leave this lie. It is very hard to trust the gardai with the corruption, incompetence and malice surrounding them of late. Night all and thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

bubblypop wrote: »
    this is not a thread on whether cannabis or its use should be legalised.

if it was you might get a lot of different responses from people posting here.

as it is, the OP has a problem with the Guards searching her house under warrant. ( a legally obtained warrant )

I had a freind who had his house raided because someone he fell out with made a complaint about him. He told me that judges will generally sign anything that the gardas put in front of them. Its only when somone lives in a posh area that the gardas are reluctant to kick their door in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

do you think that there should be a sliding scale of illegality that Gardai should deal with?

do you think burglary is worse than traffic offences?

Yes, of course I do (to both questions). Are you mental? Do you think a murder, for example, shouldn't be treated with a higher priority than a burglary or a traffic offence?
    No Pants wrote: »
    Not correct. We don't jail people for jaywalking because it's not a crime.

We really need a 'No Thanks' button for factually incorrect posts like these.

Jaywalking absolutely is a crime in this country (see clarification by infosys above). It's just not generally enforced (at the discretion of the police), and for good reason (waste of valuable police time).
    the OP has a problem with the Guards searching her house under warrant. ( a legally obtained warrant )

That's a very simplistic version of OP's complaints. She has a problem with the guards going *way* over the top in their investigation (twice!), including applying for and executing a warrant that had no legitimate basis in the first place.
    The country would be a better place with all the stoners in jail thinking about their crimes.

We already have rapists and other vicious thugs being let off with suspended sentences on a regular basis due to lack of space in jails, and you want to fill them up with non-violent dope smokers instead??

Priorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

loubella wrote: »
    Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs but wow the moral police are surely out in full force tonight. For those that think having a small amount of illegal substances in my home means it is fair game to be raided, please be aware the D.S. do not care about chasing down smokers. If they did then every second home could face the same harassment that I faced. They only raid the homes of dealers and in order to do so must have substantial evidence which is brought before a judge/peace commissioner. So twice my home has been raided on the evidence that I am a dealer. All I want is for the ombudsman to investigate how they can twice act on the basis of false information and to investigate their so-called evidence. What they have done is a serious waste of manpower, time, and taxpayers money. Whatever your opinion might be on my cannabis smoking you should surely care about that point. And it is victimization. You don't have to care about that point but I do.

Regarding smoking cannabis with an anxiety disorder. Yes, there are reports that cannabis can increase anxiety. There are also reports that it can reduce it and I personally find its the latter for me. I could of course go down the route of taking highly addictive pharmaceutical substances but the natural method has less risk of side effects. Cannabis isn't the devil's harvest, despite what some of the less open-minded posters have been conditioned to believe. But that's a totally separate thread.

To the other posters, thanks for the advise and support. I am more determined now than ever to not leave this lie. It is very hard to trust the gardai with the corruption, incompetence and malice surrounding them of late. Night all and thanks.

A complaint to the ombudsman when there is clear evidence to justify a search is a waste of man power and resources. The fact that you have your own ideas of what should and should not be legal, what the guards should and should not investigate is beside the point, you're in the wrong.

If you want the guards to stop raiding your house, give up the weed until such time as it's legalised. If you want to keep taking illegal drugs expect, that if someone has an axe to grind, it may be used against you.

loubella wrote: »

Well to anyone that thinks that having a SMALL amount of something illegal in their house means that gardai won't raid it, wake up.

Illegal is illegal is illegal.
    Go to the ombudsman I'm afraid your complaint wont be upheld.

If you dont want gardai searching your house, don't have anything illegal in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,327 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

At the end of the day you broke the law, you were in prossesion of cannabis be it a few grams or a few KG's. Its kind of like somebody complaining that they were only cought for speeding and they were only 5km/h over. You can make a complaint if you want but if the drug squad did find drugs on you/your premises they technically found what they were looking for.
    The Gardai are clearly getting there information from somewhere, who knows about your habit? Or maybe its a neighbour who doesn't want druggies( iI use this word because some people would class the OP as a druggie)living near them.
    Also OP you might want to talk to your GP who might be able to refer you onto somebody to deal with your social anxiety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

I'm really getting the feeling that people are completely missing the point. She isn't arguing the legality of it, but how the Gardi conducted themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

shleedance wrote: »
    I'm really getting the feeling that people are completely missing the point. She isn't arguing the legality of it, but how the Gardi conducted themselves.

if she wasn't involved with an illegal drug she wouldn't be having this issue

Do you enjoy missing the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,327 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The op is complaining that her apartment got searched by the drugs squad and they found drugs. Whilst they might have being looking for a larger amount. They still found some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

OP you say you have scales out to measure your quarter oz every so often. You don't say it in the OP but those that mean someone is coming to your gaff to sell to you?

If so could it be possible that the DS seen/been tipped off of a suspected dealer round your house and were investigating it?

PucaMama wrote: »
    do you?

That's a yes to my question, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

There are several points in your story which weaken your position of claiming unjust treatment by the DS.

Firstly there is the obvious one; on both occasions you were found in possession of cannabis (despite it being an amount which would be considered to be for personal use rather than for dealing).

Secondly, you were found in possession of scales which are a staple tool of a dealer. In court, possession of scales is often a key piece of evidence in determining that the accused is a dealer. Whilst scales are also a staple tool of a baker, yours will contain traces of cannabis and can accurately measure deal-size amount of drugs.

Thirdly, whilst you say that you rarely go out or have visitors, you at some point come in contact with a dealer. These interactions increase your chances of coming to the attention of the DS as your dealer may be monitored by the DS. Typically a dealer of small amounts such as what you buy, quarters, will be of more interest to the DS with regard to who they buy larger amounts from, rather than for prosecution for their lower-end of the scale dealing. Your interaction with the dealer puts you at risk of suspicion of being that higher-end dealer.

Finally, whilst I do have sympathy for you as I believe that you, as an adult, should be allowed to consume cannabis and possess it for personal use, I also believe that the DS would not have raided your home if they did not genuinely suspect that you were dealing.

I don't know how the Garda Ombudsman works so I have no idea if they will be of any assistance to you in finding out exactly why you fell under DS suspicion twice, and to such an extent that they got a warrant to search your home.

No, She believes that because she just engages in smoking a 'small amount' of cannabis that gardai were wrong to search her house!!

I'm not being moral here OP, to be honest if it was legalised tomorrow I'd be happy.

The point is, it is illegal and no matter what, the gardai found illegal substances in your home. You have no complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

No, She believes that because she just engages in smoking a 'small amount' of cannabis that gardai were wrong to search her house!!

I'm not being moral here OP, to be honest if it was legalised tomorrow I'd be happy.

The point is, it is illegal and no matter what, the gardai found illegal substances in your home. You have no complaint.
    What are the grounds for obtaining a search warrant in drugs cases? Are warrants simply granted on the basis of suspicion of 'having illegal substances in ones home', or does it require more? Do those answers affect your very definitive statement on the legal question above?

drkpower wrote: »
    What are the grounds for obtaining a search warrant in drugs cases? Are warrants simply granted on the basis of suspicion of 'having illegal substances in ones home', or does it require more? Do those answers affect your very definitive statement on the legal question above?
    That is exactly my argument thank you drkpower.

LOL where did I ever say that? My complaint is that they received false information on two occasions that I was a drug dealer and acted on them with zero evidence. You have to have solid evidence to raid someones home for suspected DEALING not smoking and I know they had none. It is about how the gardai were able to act without doing their homework and invade my life like that...and destroy my home. They do not care about smokers!

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    OP you say you have scales out to measure your quarter oz every so often. You don't say it in the OP but those that mean someone is coming to your gaff to sell to you?

If so could it be possible that the DS seen/been tipped off of a suspected dealer round your house and were investigating it?

No I call to him on the way home from work. I very much doubt he would even be known to the gardai. He only gets enough for himself and a few friends...so that he can get his own bit for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement

I just rang the garda station and he confirmed that they need more than a false report to act upon it. They need evidence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement