Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to ask guitar teacher

Options
  • 14-03-2014 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hi there, I've had a quick look and haven't seen this question asked before.

I have been playing guitar for years (15+). My girlfriend gave me lessons for my b'day. I am self taught and very comfortable with standard playing.

I just want to improve, what should I tell the guitar teacher that I want to learn?
    I don't want to turn up and say that I "just want to get better".

I don't really want to go in with a song in mind, I can learn that myself. I'm just looking to play better. Better execution?

I love the way Declan Sinnott plays.

Thanks for any responses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Any good experienced teacher worth their salt should be able to assess your playing reasonably quickly, find your weak points then show you what to do to improve on them.

My advice would be to give the teacher a rough outline of your musical goal, and an idea of how much (if any..) theory you have. Then play him/her one or two songs and let the teacher take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

Ah very good. Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭worded

If I may jump on board and ask a quastion .....

Are there any good songs to begin with ? N00b

Advertisement