Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rome

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭phog

Taxis are fixed price @ €30.

Our AirBnB host had one arranged to collect us and drop us, took all the hassle out of the trip.

I doubt a taxi will suit, it's 4 adults with probably 6 pieces of luggage. That's why I was thinking of hiring something in advance.

Don't get a taxi in Rome. The drivers are mental. It was a frightening experience. Get the bus.

In this instance the bus is really not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Don't get a taxi in Rome. The drivers are mental. It was a frightening experience. Get the bus.

I heard the stories alright and thought it was just all bluster, exaggerated stories but OMG they are crazy. Why do they insist on driving on the white line in the middle of the road.........? It was an experience

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    I heard the stories alright and thought it was just all bluster, exaggerated stories but OMG they are crazy. Why do they insist on driving on the white line in the middle of the road.........? It was an experience

Yeah, it was an interesting spin alrite but I figure they know what they are doing. Taxi from Dublin Airport back into town on the way back was decidedly boring in comparison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Hi, great thread for information,

I'm heading over at the end of the month, were arriving on Thursday and leaving Tuesday morning. The are 2 in our party. I think we're going to go ahead and get the 3 day Roma pass. I just found out about the last Sunday in Rome, which we will be there. A lot of people suggesting not to visit the Vatican due to crowds, just wondering would this be applicable in January also? Any more info/advice greatly appreciated.

We were in Rome last week and the Roma Pass was really good value. It was just the 2 of us but the queues were still long and we were able to skip them with the pass, as well as use local transport for the 3 days for free. Don't skip the Vatican tour, it's incredible. We paid for a guided tour with Dark Rome vatican tours and our guide was an archaeologist who really knew her stuff.

The Gallery Borghese is an absolute must, it has to be booked in advance as it's only 2 hour slots of small groups and was about 11 euro. So many sculptures and paintings by Bernini, Carravagio, Raphael, etc. It's set in a huge park, about 5km wide, I think and it's got a zoo as well as a lake there. You HAVE to visit the Forum, I didn't realise it was so huge.

We flew into Ciampino and the cab cost us 45 euro with 3 pieces of luggage, our hotel booked the cab with the same company back to the airport and it was 30 euro. Be warned, there are loads of young migrant guys selling selfie sticks and they're everywhere. We weren't expecting it and some of them are very aggressive about it. Seriously, they're fricking everywhere. Wear comfy shoes, get a good map and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭InterestedK

Hi,

I will be going to Rome in late April for 3 full days. I am wondering what the best and cheapest way to get to Pompeii/ Mount Vesuvius is? Can the Roma Pass be used on a train to Pompeii or does anyone know how this all works?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Hi,

I will be going to Rome in late April for 3 full days. I am wondering what the best and cheapest way to get to Pompeii/ Mount Vesuvius is? Can the Roma Pass be used on a train to Pompeii or does anyone know how this all works?

Thanks!

I've never been to Pompeii but I've heard of people that have done the day trip from Rome. As you're only in Rome for three days is it worthwhile using one of those days to go to Pompeii.

I'd be pretty sure the Roma Pass just covers public transport within the city of Rome.

I think Pompeii is just over an hour by train but I've no idea of costs involved.

Let us know how you got on, might be an idea for my next trip.

Hi,

Thanks!

Did you do the Pompeii trip?

I'm heading to Rome in February and will be there for over a week so I might try a trip to Pompeii. Just looking for a DIY trip or should I book a tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

So the roma pass will get us into vatican/sitting chapel AND the coliuseum? As well as skipping the ques?

I've no idea how often we will ride the bus but I'm bringing my 69 year old grandma over so I guess alot.

We're staying at: Bollo Apartments, Vicolo del Bollo.

Is it an ok location? I think I'll have to get a wheelchair to wheel her around.

Going on 7th February until the 9th (Tuesday until thursday)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

phog wrote: »
    Did you do the Pompeii trip?

I'm heading to Rome in February and will be there for over a week so I might try a trip to Pompeii. Just looking for a DIY trip or should I book a tour?

I went to Pompeiii as a day trip from Rome and its a long long trip unless you plan carefully.

There are lots of trains from Rome to Naples. They are always packed and vary a lot in price and speed. The expensive train takes an hour, the cheapest one takes more than two hours and its easy to end up standing for most of the journey.

Lesson : Pay the money for the fast train and the seat reservation.

Once you get to Naples, you have to cross the manically busy train station and find the local train to Pompeii which takes about 30/40 minutes and is like the DART at rush hour.
    Once we got to Pompeii, the queue to get in was 45 minutes.

Once you factor in the time to get from your hotel to the trin station is Rome, and queue to get onto the train, the journey takes hours.

We did go on a busy weekend, but we were travelling with a local who told us that the crowds were normal enough in the tourist season,

Pompeii is amazing. It is worth the effort, but its a long day and my advice is not to do it on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

It's kinda vague but I always heard it said that; when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

• Advertisement

huskerdu wrote: »
    I went to Pompeiii as a day trip from Rome and its a long long trip unless you plan carefully.

There are lots of trains from Rome to Naples. They are always packed and vary a lot in price and speed. The expensive train takes an hour, the cheapest one takes more than two hours and its easy to end up standing for most of the journey.

Lesson : Pay the money for the fast train and the seat reservation.

Once you get to Naples, you have to cross the manically busy train station and find the local train to Pompeii which takes about 30/40 minutes and is like the DART at rush hour.
    Once we got to Pompeii, the queue to get in was 45 minutes.

Once you factor in the time to get from your hotel to the trin station is Rome, and queue to get onto the train, the journey takes hours.

We did go on a busy weekend, but we were travelling with a local who told us that the crowds were normal enough in the tourist season,

Pompeii is amazing. It is worth the effort, but its a long day and my advice is not to do it on the cheap.

Thanks for the feedback, I might look at paying up front for a tour from Rome.

My feedback from our trip to Rome - we travelled in February for the 6 Nations game and spent 7 or 8 nights there in total

We booked Hotel Quirinale – It’s near a metro station and the bus stops outside the hotel. I’d highly recommend this hotel.

Transport is very easy once you get used to it – there’s a choice of buses to/from the city/hotel and the metro is just up the road from the hotel – care is needed for pickpockets on both methods of transport.

We flew into Ciampino Airport (Ryanair) which is probably a 40 min drive. There’s a bus from the airport to Termini Train Station (a few mins walk to the hotel) but we pre-booked a lift with Rome Airport Transfers

On one of the days we booked a trip (by train) to Pompeii. The train from Rome to Naples is a high speed train, then you can get a DART type train to Pompeii (40mins). It’s a very worthwhile trip if you have the time.

Restaurants near the hotel that I’d recommend are
    Ristorante del Giglio maybe a bit more expensive than some but nice for a treat – 1ltr carafe of local wine was €6
    L’Antica Fraschetta – very friendly and possibly family run restaurant – good selection on their menu
    In the Trastevere Area there are two restaurants we were in ne the other was recommended to us
    Pizzeria Il Carlo Menta had a cheap tourist menu but good food and wine
    Ristorante Da Cencia – was recommended by a couple but we never got back there
    Then we ate in two more in the city
    Rossopomodoro – This is on Largo di Torre Argentina which is close to one of the bus stops for the Hotel
    Mamma Roma – Just off Piazza Navona ( read and buy off menu, he’s inclined to offer specials, may be more expensive than the menu) Good food though.

We booked a trip to the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel
    You don’t need to book to visit the Vatican itself or St. Peter’s Sq but you need to queue and have bags scanned.

We used the Roma Pass - this gives you free public transport and access to two museums (Vatican is excluded, I think) You can jump the queues for some museums by having the Roma Pass

My highlights were
    Pompeii
    Roman Forum
    Colosseum
    The Vatican
    Castel Sant'Angelo
    Any of the churches
    Trevi Fountain
    Spanish Steps

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Hello, sorry to jump on this thread, I must have a good read through later this weekend on all the suggestions, but planning on a city break to Rome in Oct for 4 of us. We'll have 2 teenage boys so looking for suggestions for accomodation that will work for all of us, ideally somewhere where they get their own space and we do aswell

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Hello, sorry to jump on this thread, I must have a good read through later this weekend on all the suggestions, but planning on a city break to Rome in Oct for 4 of us. We'll have 2 teenage boys so looking for suggestions for accomodation that will work for all of us, ideally somewhere where they get their own space and we do aswell

What about using AirBNB or rent an apartment? I' haven't done either but some friends use them all the time for the same reason as you as they have teenagers that need their own space and hotels can then be costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Hi folks , heading to Rome start of October. Was wondering if anyone has advice on best place to stay or a hotel they would recommend?
    We want to be central, a room with a view.As its only for 3 nights we have a decent budget (for us anyway!), about €200 a night.
    Thanks in advance.

maximo31 wrote: »
    Hi folks , heading to Rome start of October. Was wondering if anyone has advice on best place to stay or a hotel they would recommend?
    We want to be central, a room with a view.As its only for 3 nights we have a decent budget (for us anyway!), about €200 a night.
    Thanks in advance.

I'd have no hesitation in recommending Hotel Quirinale though not sure about the room with a view part of your request. It's on Via Nazionale which is a busy street and about a minutes walk from the nearest metro (Repubblica). It

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

Take a look at hotel San Carlo right beside Spanish steps stayed there a few years ago was great location we only needed to get metro for Vatican if I recall it was €250 for three of us per night with breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Can't recommed the Donna Camilla Savelli enough. 10/10. Stayed there recently for 3 nights. Perfect location IMO for restaurants and just over the river from all the sights

Advertisement