Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Effects of Pulling an All Nighter

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ShadyLane

Do 24 hour shifts 1-2 times per week for work. Doesn't feel nice between 3-5 am, and I can definitely feel mental processing slowing considerably in the wee hours of the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

it's known as a ghostie.

That word sure has alot of different meanings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

WikiHow wrote: »
    That word sure has alot of different meanings :)

Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

Op, nobody really gives a fuq that you stayed awake 1 night...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

On occasions I work shift work and after finishing up a 4 day shift I usually get home around 9am. If I dont get the head down and sleep I can stay awake for the day but I will crash the day after.

Takes me a full day to recover.

I'm similar. If on a block of nights, each one a 12 hour shift, can usally potter about the house the morning I finish, and go to bed about 11/12 that night. But then I will sleep for as much as 12 hours, and still spend most of the day after in bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

mfergus wrote: »
    Op, nobody really gives a fuq that you stayed awake 1 night...

Yeah they do. Hence the discussion...
    No need to be a dick about it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

I can stay up 72 hours if needs be. If I know i'm only going to get three or four hours sleep I just stay up.

It is almost Euphoric. Its a strange feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

yawhat! wrote: »
    I can stay up 72 hours if needs be.

yawhat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I do it regularly! I could sleep at around 4am, but then I know ill be wrecked when I get up.

So I stay awake and I'm great the next day.

Then there's the nights when I'm wrecked but can't sleep at all, not even the brightness scares me into drifting off. The day after those nights are horrible :(

Undeadfred wrote: »
    Haha no I'm just incredibly enthusiastic about this topic right now.

You might enjoy this link then. Actually I enjoy that guys whole channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

Sauve wrote: »
    Yeah they do. Hence the discussion...
    No need to be a dick about it :)

My bad. I was tired when I said that last night.
    So anyway, lack of sleep makes me cranky.
    Sorry op. Ignore any of my comments that are made between the hours of 12 and 8am!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's usually the following day that it affects me - I'd be OK the day immediately after the night with no sleep, but no matter how much sleep I got that night, I'd be off the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I basically live the bulk of my life in sleep debt and it's not a good way to go. If you generally sleep well I can see how you could pull an all nighter with minimal effect, but if you start doing it regularly you will notice the effects as that sleep debt piles up and you might find it difficult to return to a more normal rhythm. Avoid.

My brain only functions during daylight hours.

You must hibernate throughout the winter. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Pulling all night= sore penis next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Was always good at pulling all nighters for exams and assignments in college but one of the linked articles is right: you're better off having a few half hour naps to let it al sink in and refresh your brain.

notnumber wrote: »
    Pulling all night= sore penis next day.

You just have not done it enough to build up good calluses.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

Used to have awful insomnia during my first round of college and would go weeks at a time only sleeping every 2-2.5 days. You do get a mild high off it but that's interspersed with waves of feeling utterly shattered and nauseous. On a couple of occasions I started hallucinating cause I was so tired. Remember walking through the college library and actually having to hang on to the book cases cause I felt like I was on a ship and the floor was rising up and down in front of me. Another time I was walking through town and screamed cause I thought a squirrel had jumped on my head, but there was nothing there. The longest I was ever continuously awake was 3 1/2 days and I've literally no memory of what happened for a day and a half which was really scary. I value sleep very highly nowadays and try to get 6-8 hours no matter what, but I'm starting a job which'll frequently involve 24 hr+ shifts soon so I'm pretty apprehensive about it. OP, deliberately depriving yourself of sleep isn't a lifestyle I'd recommend. As others have said you may feel functional but from personal experience anyway your short term memory, reasoning and immune system among other things slowly start to fail and the downsides far exceed the benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Have a baby, then you get to endure 3 - 6 months of all-nighters and you will sleep pretty much anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Undeadfred wrote: »
    Really want this to become a weekly occurance. Need that sleepless high...

Be very cautious if doing this on a regular basis as sleep deprivation can lead to long term problems. If you are this interested about the subject and are thinking of pulling all nighters on a regular basis, have a chat with your GP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement