Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google drive price drop

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

ecomac wrote: »
    Just read it before commenting:
    "HTTPS is available too in case you need a secure connection"

Here it states otherwise look under WebAccess Browser (platform independent) not from PC, can you elaborate please. http://www.buffalo-technology.com/fileadmin/buffalo/templates/PDF/120417_WebAcess_A4_01.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

DERICKOO wrote: »
    No we are all under surveillance.

Are you sure? Wait how exactly are the American Government managing to Spy on other countries?

I'm so confused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Hubic looks interesting 10TB for €10 per month, 100gb €1 per month:

https://hubic.com/en/offers/
    Here it states otherwise look under WebAccess Browser (platform independent) not from PC, can you elaborate please. http://www.buffalo-technology.com/fileadmin/buffalo/templates/PDF/120417_WebAcess_A4_01.pdf

Don't encourage him, take it to the hardware forum if you want technical support.
    Are you sure? Wait how exactly are the American Government managing to Spy on other countries?

I'm so confused!

You have about 60 years of electronic surevillance to catch up on best bet is buy a book. Or if you just want the recent revelations try here:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/24/richard_clarke_csa_comments/
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/17/angela_merkel_eu_internet_nsa_us/
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/12/snowden_docs_show_nsas_malware_turbine_can_pump_out_millions_of_malware_attacks/
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/12/31/nsa_weapons_catalogue_promises_pwnage_at_the_speed_of_light/
    http://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=nsa

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ecomac

HTTPS is an secure access internet protocol built in most of browsers, not in the remote access application itself. Because of this fact it is platform independed. You have to use HTTPS enabled browser to use this protcol, not the app. Can't explain it any clearer. Ask some of the computer geeks from previous posts rather than my humble person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Ecomac, this still doesn't protect the data in your home however unlikely. Hard drives can fail,even with raid fail safes,that's not going to be of any use if they're subject to flood or fire damage. Or simply burgled. My data is a hell of a lot safer online. If you're concerned about Google spying,encrypt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

how could you encrypt photos in a google drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Don't know how this thread got so much legs.

I use GDrive, Dropbox and a NAS (Synology).
    Quite honestly, my Synology DS212 is one of the best pieces of kit I have ever bought. Get so much use out of it. It's not just a NAS you throw files on, but it's a private cloud that synch's with both my GDrive and Dropbox, has RAID 1.

I don't have to open any ports on my router (but I do anyway) to access it from anywhere in the world. Everyone in the house can have their own access whihc is private from each other. It has a mobile apps for photo player, video player, audio player, file browser and BT/HTTP/BT/NZB.
    It's always on, uses low power, sleeps when not in use and wakes when I need it.
    Can plug in USB DVT-S/C dongles and watch and record TV and watch those recorded shows from any remote device anywhere in the world.
    I can send and receive emails through it, I can use it as a wireless repeater. It stores all my XBMC media info so I can stop a movie in one room and continue from the same place in a different room. I can run a web server from it. CouchPotato etc all work on it.

The private cloud rocks - it keeps 32 versions of each and every file in my cloud (size not an issue) so I can revert and view any version. There are free upgrades of the software.

I can plug a simple USB webcam (or get wireless IP cams) into it and it becomes a home monitoring system. It will record any movement it detects and email me a snapshot of the movement. I can log in from my phone anywhere in the world and view my house live or watch any of the recordings.

That's really just the surface, so a true good quality NAS is not just a simple hard disk that stores files. It can do so much more.
    Yeah, someone can break in and take it. I could also get hit by a bus tomorrow. Chances of either happening are low.

Saying all that, I still use GDrive and Dropbox. I have no problems about storing my personal files on either. I would not store my work files on GDrive but I have no hesitation about doing it on Dropbox.

For anyone looking at simple backup of photos/CVs/scanned bills and receipts, either online service works a charm.

So, none of this is really comparing like with like. Each has their own benefits but as I said, my NAS is the best piece of technology I ever bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,188 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Dymo wrote: »
    What if someone breaks into your house picks up the server and walks out with it?

Where is your stuff then, not being smart but just wondering why is this a better solution.

Someone getting the login info for your cloud storage account is more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Anyway... T'is a bargain. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eissboard

According to Google's ToS: "When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing you have added to Google Maps). Some Services may offer you ways to access and remove content that has been provided to that Service. Also, in some of our Services, there are terms or settings that narrow the scope of our use of the content submitted in those Services. Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us this license for any content that you submit to our Services."

Data privacy is far more important than how big your cloud storage is. The only way to close the loophole on data privacy is to take a look at where keys are stored. Google Drive uses server side encryption instead of client side encryption. This means the keys are stored on their servers. When you aren’t managing your own keys, you don’t have control over your data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭T-Bird

eissboard wrote: »
    According to Google's ToS: "When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing you have added to Google Maps). Some Services may offer you ways to access and remove content that has been provided to that Service. Also, in some of our Services, there are terms or settings that narrow the scope of our use of the content submitted in those Services. Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us this license for any content that you submit to our Services."

Data privacy is far more important than how big your cloud storage is. The only way to close the loophole on data privacy is to take a look at where keys are stored. Google Drive uses server side encryption instead of client side encryption. This means the keys are stored on their servers. When you aren’t managing your own keys, you don’t have control over your data.

100% agree. The Hubic option a few posts back is a far better option plus t and c state that you have complete ownership and privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Throwing Crashplan in as another alternative. Decent prices for unlimited cloud backups, good mobile app for accessing from anywhere, or a free option where you can back up to your own drive anywhere - so swap drives with a mate and back up to each other's house.

Plus it's not unheard of for Google to lose customer data

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ecomac

eissboard wrote: »

What did I say before? Your data with Google is NOT yours anymore. Regardless how insignificant they are. People are giving away their privacy too easily nowdays. And the most shocking part is they are willing to PAY for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

MOH wrote: »
    Throwing Crashplan in as another alternative. Decent prices for unlimited cloud backups, good mobile app for accessing from anywhere, or a free option where you can back up to your own drive anywhere - so swap drives with a mate and back up to each other's house.

Plus it's not unheard of for Google to lose customer data

I'll second this. Crashplan is excellent & you can also back up to a local drive with it as well (for speed of recovery)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭steveblack

The entire section:

Content license from you11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I used to use CrashPlan but I back up most of my pictures, videos and school work to Google Drive. I'm only using about 10GB out of my 75GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

I've used crashplan, Zoolz and dropbox.

Crashplan is great and love the ability to take a local copy also.

Zoolz grinds my 1 year old laptop to a halt when active. 30 emails later to tech support im nowhere near a resolution... AVOID

Dropbox nice and easy.

hopefully crashplan will drop their prices to compete with Google soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

What happens if you decide to stop paying Google for whatever reason. Do they give you time to get your data off or just delete/NSA storage it all.

Good question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

If you've reached or exceeded the free storage limit, you won't be able to sync or upload any new files, and syncing between your Google Drive folder and My Drive stops completely. You'll still be able to create Google Docs, since they don't take up any storage space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hey all,
    May be slightly off topic but I find the Dropbox web interface pitifully slow and I need to do some serious organizing of my flies as I'm gonna drop down from a lot of free storage soon. Has anyone used a good app or website that works fast with the Dropbox service? I know about the Android application but don't find it great. Perhaps there is a nice Chrome extension that is fast and easy to use?

Thanks,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

madmoe wrote: »
    Hey all,
    May be slightly off topic but I find the Dropbox web interface pitifully slow and I need to do some serious organizing of my flies as I'm gonna drop down from a lot of free storage soon. Has anyone used a good app or website that works fast with the Dropbox service? I know about the Android application but don't find it great. Perhaps there is a nice Chrome extension that is fast and easy to use?

Thanks,
    M

Do you have installed on your PC? It's just a standard Windows explorer interface there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Do you have installed on your PC? It's just a standard Windows explorer interface there.

Ah cool! Now why didn't I think of that mister!

Cheers :D

Advertisement