Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi-Fi Booster only €29.99

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭mcw92

slave1 wrote: »
    I picked up this lad a few weeks back and got it shipped via PM.
    Has taken a low'ish signal from my UPC modem and mega boosted it, I could not get a signal in the back of the house and now I can get a signal at the end of the back garden, simple setup too.

51LT22SkQvL._SL1200_.jpg

Is this one of the ones that apparently halves your connection speed?
    Does it work via plugging into an area a good enough WiFi coverage then pushing it out further.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

mcw92 wrote: »
    Is this one of the ones that apparently halves your connection speed?
    Does it work via plugging into an area a good enough WiFi coverage then pushing it out further.

All repeaters halve your connection throughput and if extending again they halve that. Bear in mind stated speeds like 802.11g 54mbps & 802.11n 300mbps are BS. Realistic is 20mbps & 50-60mbps depending on your house materials etc. E.g. of repeaters (without interferrence which could be causing you to need one in the first place)

50mpbs at router (no repeater) = laptop gets 50mpbs
    50mpbs at router (1 repeater) = laptop gets 25mbps
    50mpbs at router (2 repeaters) = laptop gets 12.5mbps

Also bear in mind if you are gaming your pings will rocket as the repeater is 'repeating' the ping query. Not good for a fast FPS.

Homeplugs using your electrical wiring, assuming its up to standard, don't suffer these losses so are the best route if you can do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Amped SR10000 is what you want, extend the range by a mile radius!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C2L7NDC/

As another option. Use code JQNMBUYH to get it for £15.99!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

ThisRegard wrote: »
    From reading up on them lately, some give an additional SSID, eg. you curent one is Micks_Internet and it then creates a second one called Micks_Internet(Ext) or something similar. People have said that if they rename the extension to the same SSID they can move seamlessly across them.

The TP-LINK TL-WA850RE from Argos looks like it does all this automatically so you don't need to do anything, you just see the one network.

I suppose someone with one of these can answer it better.

It does it automatically or you can change the name if you want.

Bought one today and I'll be returning it, my speeds are actually worse using the thing! It even says signal strength 100%. Have tried plugging it in upstairs, and next to the router , no difference.

If i go to network and status, and click properties , the speed is a constant 144.5mpbs. When I connect to the router directly before it would bounce from 1mpbs to 50mpbs randomly, so it should be quicker?

However the upc speedtest says I'm only getting 15mbps down, when I was getting 25mbps down before (it's a 120mbps line)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭mcw92

All repeaters halve your connection throughput and if extending again they halve that. Bear in mind stated speeds like 802.11g 54mbps & 802.11n 300mbps are BS. Realistic is 20mbps & 50-60mbps depending on your house materials etc. E.g. of repeaters (without interferrence which could be causing you to need one in the first place)

Also bear in mind if you are gaming your pings will rocket as the repeater is 'repeating' the ping query. Not good for a fast FPS.

Homeplugs using your electrical wiring, assuming its up to standard, don't suffer these losses so are the best route if you can do it.
    Cheers for that.
    Il explain my set up and maybe you could reccomend what to get.

I'm using mobile broadband stick, as its the only bb we can get at home. Anyways I have that plugged into a 3g modem which gives me WiFi all over the house. But it is set up in the attic. So in the sitting room, the furthest away room, the speed is sometimes only half the speed as right under the attic.

if I was to get a powerlan kit, plug it up in the attic and an cable from it to the router, and then the other one down in say the sitting room.
    Would I be best to get one with WiFi on the other end to push the WiFi to the sitting room, or one with the Ethernet slot only and then get my own router to plug into it and give out WiFi in the sitting room?

As for speed, I only use the Internet for browsing, no file transfers or etc. I only get Max 2mb speed anyways through the coverage.
    I sometimes play online through the PlayStation on it and its fine as long as the speed is 1mb or over.

which setup would be best to give me better WiFi in the sitting room would you think??

Also I have already put a much bigger wider area antenna on the router in the attic so that's not an option for me.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mefistos

• Registered Users Posts: 5 damien60

I am a UPC customer with 30Mb speeds ( in room with modem). This drops off to less that 10Mb in other rooms. Setting up the starter took two minutes. I did a speed test in other rooms and now I get 30Mb everywhere in the house. €29.99 seems to be a good price that does what it says on the tin!

damien60 wrote: »
    I am a UPC customer with 30Mb speeds ( in room with modem). This drops off to less that 10Mb in other rooms. Setting up the starter took two minutes. I did a speed test in other rooms and now I get 30Mb everywhere in the house. €29.99 seems to be a good price that does what it says on the tin!

Interesting. So you are getting zero speed drops using the wi-fi booster (i.e. not the ethernet connector)?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

If I connect the tplink to my pc using an ethernet cable the speed improves dramtically (40-50mb) not close to the 80-90mb I get from wifi next to the router but it's double what I was getting before .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 damien60

degsie wrote: »
    Interesting. So you are getting zero speed drops using the wi-fi booster (i.e. not the ethernet connector)?

Honestly, no speed drop. I did a speed test on iPhone app and got 31.26.
    Before I would be lucky to get double figures.

mcw92 wrote: »
    Would I be best to get one with WiFi on the other end to push the WiFi to the sitting room, or one with the Ethernet slot only and then get my own router to plug into it and give out WiFi in the sitting room?

According to the OP the homeplug with integrated wifi gives no speed reduction so that would appear to be a good solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

All repeaters halve your connection throughput and if extending again they halve that.

Not all, dual band extenders can avoid the 50% throughput problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mefistos

ok guys here is my first experience :)

This is what i bought: http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=481762

My broadband connection : UPC 120MB/s

How did i set it up:
    1. I connected the smaller one to the electric socket and used Ethernet cable to connect it with my Cisco router
    2. Then i connected the second one in my room to the electric socket and pressed button on the small one for 3 seconds, then i press button on the bigger one for 3 seconds and that's it...
    3. Because i wanted wifi i could either pres the wifi button on the bigger one and use predefined wifi with SSID(wifi name) and password written on the back of the device (this is what i did) or i could pres WPS button on my router and then press wifi button on the bigger one in order to use my previous SSID and password (it would act as signal booster)

here are my speedtests:

WIFI Speedtests:
    Setup:
    1. Connecter to UPC Cisco router in my room:

Download Speed: 13181 kbps (1647.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 9307 kbps (1163.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 14 ms
    Jitter: 5 ms
    3/12/2014 8:14:49 PM

2. Connected to TP-Link Powerline via WIFI in my room:

Download Speed: 62668 kbps (7833.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 9569 kbps (1196.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 14 ms
    Jitter: 2 ms
    3/12/2014 8:00:55 PM

3.Connected to UPC Cisco router via WIFI sitting next to the router

Download Speed: 55299 kbps (6912.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 9586 kbps (1198.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 13 ms
    Jitter: 3 ms
    3/12/2014 8:07:27 PM

Cable Speedtests:

Setup:

1.Ethernet Cable connected to the UPC Router Cisco:

Download Speed: 77466 kbps (9683.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 9449 kbps (1181.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 13 ms
    Jitter: 2 ms
    3/12/2014 8:09:40 PM

2. Ethernet Cable connected to the TP-Link Powerline:

Download Speed: 54998 kbps (6874.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 9244 kbps (1155.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 15 ms
    Jitter: 6 ms
    3/12/2014 8:16:26 PM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I also thought this, but apparently the newer ones dont suffer from this.

The reason the old ones halved the speed is they only had one antenna to recieve and transmit data, so one it would spend half the time recieving the data and the other half transmitting.

But the newer N ones are able to transmit and receive at the same time so will not suffer from the 50% thing at all

EDIT: From here
    Thanks to that 50% loss in bandwidth right off the top, just about all wireless extenders suck. But the technology has gotten a little better in the past year. If you have to get a Wi-Fi extender, it should be the $80 Netgear WN2500RP, which has a dual-band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radio. The extender can use one frequency to communicate with a router and another frequency to communicate with client devices, which bypasses that 50% hit to bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

pauleoin wrote: »
    TP Link wi-fi booster, also available in Argos for €25.99, have two of these and they work great, need to be unpluged to reset every so often otherwise no problems.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1286627.htm

Stock levels good

http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=128%2F6627

I bought the tp link in argos last week and the speeds are crap.. i have upc 200mb bb can get 90meg on wireless when in the same room as the upc router but when i go to the back room the tp link kicks in and the best i can get is 2meg when it works.

the signal on the tplink is showing full bars and is not too far from the main router

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

So much choice & different opinions. The UPC signal in my apt bedrooms is okay but only get 1/2 bars.

I assume from reading this thread that this is the best option for me below to boost the signal http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1286627.htm

Any advice appreciated?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

There's a unit available in Aldi on the 27th, whether it will be any use.
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-27th-march/products-detail-page/ps/p/wireless-wi-fi-extender/

Advertisement