Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taekwondo Blackbelt

Options
  • 11-03-2014 12:19am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I've just started TKD and I was wondering how long does it GENERALLY take to earn a blackbelt?

I know everyone progresses at different speeds, it depends how often you train etc.

But training twice a week and being reasonably fit, how long should it take to progress through the belts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

If you're so focused on getting to the end (or the beginning, depending on who you talk to) then you'll miss the entire journey.

Don't train for some coloured cloth. Train to better yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

MagicIRL wrote: »
    If you're so focused on getting to the end (or the beginning, depending on who you talk to) then you'll miss the entire journey.

Don't train for some coloured cloth. Train to better yourself.

I just wanted a simple answer, not some philosophical dross.

I completely appreciate the journey is what is important, and I am not in a particular 'rush' to get there. However, I am a goal oriented person, and just wanted a rough guideline. Thanks for your pontification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

I'm a 1st dan taekwondo blackbelt (WTF style). I started when I was 11 and wasn't a regular tester. Took me 7 years, took others about 2 to 3. It just depends. I wasn't racing to get my black belt though and now I am struggling to find an adult club in Dublin. :(

I took up badminton instead since I moved but I miss it Taekwondo a lot. :( If anyone knows of any good adult clubs in the South Dublin area let me know. Adult clubs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Thanks for your pontification.

Blackbelt AND this personality. Winning combination.

Oh and I would have trained a lot!! Sorry probably should have said that. :P

• Advertisement

maguic24 wrote: »
    I'm a 1st dan taekwondo blackbelt (WTF style). I started when I was 11 and wasn't a regular tester. Took me 7 years, took others about 2 to 3. It just depends. I wasn't racing to get my black belt though and now I am struggling to find an adult club in Dublin. :(

I took up badminton instead since I moved but I miss it Taekwondo a lot. :( If anyone knows of any good adult clubs in the South Dublin area let me know. Adult clubs!!

Thanks , this is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for!

A mate of mine does martial arts out in Portmarnock! Not sure if they do TKD though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I just wanted a simple answer, not some philosophical dross.

I completely appreciate the journey is what is important, and I am not in a particular 'rush' to get there. However, I am a goal oriented person, and just wanted a rough guideline. Thanks for your pontification.

If you're goal orientated, as you so claim, perhaps your first goal should be to improve your character. Once that's done, consider taking up some TKD.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    If you're goal orientated, as you so claim, perhaps your first goal should be to improve your character. Once that's done, consider taking up some TKD.

And there you go with the pontification again. Maybe, it's your character that needs improving.

Anyway, stop polluting the thread with your pettiness. I merely wanted to learn more about the timescales attached to TKD.

smcgiff wrote: »
    Blackbelt AND this personality. Winning combination.

Thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

what were those tenets of tkd again?

courtesy

integrity

something

something

self control

and then courtesy

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 tommba

You'll need to pass 10 exams to get to black belt. Find out how many times your school grades per year and you'll get a rough estimate of how long it will take you, provided you can attend and pass every exam.

tommba wrote: »
    You'll need to pass 10 exams to get to black belt. Find out how many times your school grades per year and you'll get a rough estimate of how long it will take you, provided you can attend and pass every exam.

Thanks!

Bambi wrote: »
    what were those tenets of tkd again?

courtesy

integrity

something

something

self control

and then courtesy

:)

Is this relevant to how long it takes to attain a blackbelt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Is this relevant to how long it takes to attain a blackbelt?

I hear if you join the Korean army they just give you a blackbelt, might be the quickest way.

I'd recommend south Korea if you decide to go that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Just go into the martial arts shop on mary st and buy one. Takes about 5 minutes.

Peetrik wrote: »
    I hear if you join the Korean army they just give you a blackbelt, might be the quickest way.

I'd recommend south Korea if you decide to go that route.

Profound.

Mousewar wrote: »
    Just go into the martial arts shop on mary st and buy one. Takes about 5 minutes.

How quick witted of you. I was asking a simple question, less of your insolence.

Can anyone give a legitimate answer to this question, instead of making derisory comments. I merely want to get a rough time frame for earning a black belt in TKD.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Can anyone give a legitimate answer to this question, instead of making derisory comments. I merely want to get a rough time frame for earning a black belt in TKD.

See the below post
    I know everyone progresses at different speeds, it depends how often you train etc.

Took me 7 years, took others about 2 to 3. It just depends.

Your question was answered, a quick search of the forum backed up the estimate of about 3 years assuming you train 4 times a week at a club that grades regularly.

The reason you are getting people poking fun at you is because your responses have been neither humble or patient, both of which are traits that the pajama styles are big on.

• Advertisement

Peetrik wrote: »
    Your question was answered, a quick search of the forum backed up the estimate of about 3 years assuming you train 4 times a week at a club that grades regularly.

The reason you are getting people poking fun at you is because your responses have been neither humble or patient, both of which are traits that the pajama styles are big on.

Thanks for pointing that out, really appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Also, thanks for pointing out my lack of humility and patience.

Maybe you could learn to spell too?

No problem, best of luck in your training

You can spell pyjamas 2 ways, neither is incorrect, Pajamas or Pyjamas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

This guy seems like a barrel of laughs.

You can spell pyjamas 2 ways, neither is incorrect, Pajamas or Pyjamas.

Sorry, I didn't realise we were using American English. My mistake. Thanks for dragging this forum further off topic.

This guy seems like a barrel of laughs.

I know, I just wanted to get an insight into the grading process, and I get all these wise guys.

Sorry, I didn't realise we were using American English. My mistake. Thanks for dragging this forum further off topic.

I think you've already dragged it off topic with the way you are responding to other posters.

I think you've already dragged it off topic with the way you are responding to other posters.

Oh right, is that what happened? Thanks.

Anyone else care to share their TKD experiences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Are you taking TKD in order to defend yourself against people who wish to hit you really hard in the face repeatedly?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement