Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten free pasta

Options
  • 10-03-2014 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend a good brand of gluten free pasta?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Little Lion Woman

Has anyone any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Tesco, Kelkin both fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I agree with the above, how you cook it is more important really as gluten free pasta goes hard as it cools.

The best way to test it is to cook it for longer than usual and every few mins take a piece out an run it under the cold tap- that way you'll know if it stays at your preferred texture. Once done strain the whole lot and run under cold water and it should be fine.
    Took me months to discover that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Little Lion Woman

Thanks for the responses :)

Is it true that gluten free pasta is very high in calories?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Don't know, sorry. Isn't any form of pasta quite high in calories?

The good news is gluten free pasta tastes just as good as the "normal" sort! ;) Though as notjustsweet indicates, slightly longer cooking time may be required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dottybows

There are a good few brands out there and it's really hit and miss.
    I've tried Kelkin, DS and a few others.
    I've always said Sam Mills is the best (you get them in SuperValu and Dunnes), but I have recently discovered Heinz Gluten free pasta and I have to say it is my favourite yet! I only see them in SuperValu though. They have Spaghetti and Macaroni which is a nice change from the usual Penne and Fussili shapes. They're a bit pricey though at almost €3 a pack.

Almost forgot to say Lidl have they're own brand gluten free pasta (Combino, orange pack, not green) as well! At only €1.49 its a great price and it's actually pretty nice! I've attached a pic of it to show what the pack looks like as it is just stored with their normal pasta. They have Spaghetti, Penne and Fussili.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

I usually eat Tesco Free From pasta and I'm happy enough with it
    Is it true that gluten free pasta is very high in calories?

A packet of tesco free from states the for 100g you're looking at 355kcal - not sure how that compares to regular pasta. It's been a while since I ate any.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭deisedude

Heinz is the tastiest i think. Cant taste the difference from normal pasta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

I use a vegetable rice pasta from Organ
    You can find in must good health food shops. However this pasta isn't the best you want to eat it cold.

Try Spelt pasta this is very nice and also tastes nice when cooled. However this is gluten free but is a relation to wheat so be careful if you are intolerant to wheat this might cause you issues. Biona

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ruth_wex

Hi!

I just started making my own pasta when I was taken off gluten. This recipe is fool proof and I just roll it out with loads of flour as thin as i possibly can (when you think it's thin enough, go thinner!!! )

http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/gluten-free-homemade-tagliatelle-lasagna/

Advertisement