Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

There was an important issue raised yesterday, by Declan Bree if I remember correctly, about trust. Many of those who sat on the stage are pathological liars. The promises made in the run up to the elections are null and void after Saturday.

A number of candidates used the cancer services to propel themselves into elected positions last time. Now the issue of maternity services removal arises and we're being told "it's just a review". Matt Lyons said he would resign from FG if maternity services were removed. Well he made that claim before in this short clip about cancer services before the last elections.
    https://soundcloud.com/p-ohara/matt-lyons-i-would-resign-2009

Veronica Cawley only left the Labour Party after not getting the nod ahead of Susan O'Keefe. It's good to know where the line is with some politicians. These are not the only two, but for being two of the loudest before the last elections and quietest afterwards they stick in the mind.

There were claims that the anti austerity candidates are anti development. What's more anti development than the decisions of the current government. Financially squeezing the life out of people in taxes and charges, removing disposable income for the majority of people. Despite claiming they would 'put manners' on the banks, they still have free reign. SME's cannot get funding and have faced enormous rises with no leeway in regards to rent.
    Sligo has the highest number of closed business premises two years in a row, that's a direct result of Fine Gael and Labour governance.

The argument that we need water charges for good quality water doesn't work. Who could argue that road tax secures good quality roads? The best roads in Ireland are either privatised with tolls or European funded projects.
    More worryingly the councillors elected will decide if the property tax charge is 15% higher or lower than the average from next year. Who you vote for has a direct affect on your pocket.

The new council starts with a deficit close to €100 million euro. Punish the incompetents who approved the crazy budgets of the last few years and gave a standing ovation to that crook former county manager.

itac wrote: »
    I know what you mean....according to
    D'Wiki, it's called Election Silence (dunno if the link will work from the phone!)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Election_silence

It appears we don't officially adhere to it, but it's an interesting thought, how many minds could be changed on the last day, or how many of the great undecided (myself included!) could be influenced by the last few hrs of a campaign?

Anyhoo, the results should be interesting!

They do that on radio and TV. So a broadcaster silence. However canvassing usually continues up until 9pm tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

There was an important issue raised yesterday, by Declan Bree if I remember correctly, about trust. Many of those who sat on the stage are pathological liars. The promises made in the run up to the elections are null and void after Saturday.

A number of candidates used the cancer services to propel themselves into elected positions last time. Now the issue of maternity services removal arises and we're being told "it's just a review". Matt Lyons said he would resign from FG if maternity services were removed. Well he made that claim before in this short clip about cancer services before the last elections.
    https://soundcloud.com/p-ohara/matt-lyons-i-would-resign-2009

Veronica Cawley only left the Labour Party after not getting the nod ahead of Susan O'Keefe. It's good to know where the line is with some politicians. These are not the only two, but for being two of the loudest before the last elections and quietest afterwards they stick in the mind.

The new council starts with a deficit close to €100 million euro. Punish the incompetents who approved the crazy budgets of the last few years and gave a standing ovation to that crook former county manager.

Trust eh? Lets be honest here. None of them can wear a halo around their heads, and none of them are squeaky clean.
    There were claims that the anti austerity candidates are anti development. What's more anti development than the decisions of the current government. Financially squeezing the life out of people in taxes and charges, removing disposable income for the majority of people. Despite claiming they would 'put manners' on the banks, they still have free reign. SME's cannot get funding and have faced enormous rises with no leeway in regards to rent.
    Sligo has the highest number of closed business premises two years in a row, that's a direct result of Fine Gael and Labour governance.
    Now that has to be the most biased sweeping statement I have heard in a long time, and I get accused of pursuing a vendetta?

Where are you getting this data from, or are you simply skewing facts to paint your own picture?

I'm no fan of any political party, nor am I an advocate for the ULA or PBP or any other brigade for that matter, but laying the blame for the state of the county at the door of the present incumbent government is just ridiculous. In fact, that actually sounds like something Micheal Martin would say when he's trying to take a pot shot at the government. The county and country is in the state its in because of FF and what they got away with in the boom times and that is a fact. The issues that face Sligo are the same issues that are affecting every town and city country wide.

True, SME's are crippled with upward only rental agreements yes, but have you noticed over the last few years how many businesses have moved to other premises? Its for this reason, with the amount of vacant properties its easier to get a better rate in a different premises. Its not the Governments fault that businesses entered into legally binding upward only rental agreements.

The argument that we need water charges for good quality water doesn't work. Who could argue that road tax secures good quality roads? The best roads in Ireland are either privatised with tolls or European funded projects.

As was already mentioned here, All other fundamental services that we get are not for free, electricity, heat, fuel and so on, so why should water be any different?

And before you ask, no I'm not happy about water charges. I'd rather I didn't have to pay any form of property tax or water charges but that's not likely though is it?

It seems you've taken quite the shine to me Buford, I'm flattered.
    Trust eh? Lets be honest here. None of them can wear a halo around their heads, and none of them are squeaky clean.
    Who said anything about a halo? I'm talking about a number of politicians transparently using serious local issues to get themselves elected. The save our services group were asked to put candidates forward for election. They chose not to, but others decided to use that platform for their own agenda.

Now that has to be the most biased sweeping statement I have heard in a long time, and I get accused of pursuing a vendetta?

Biased? Sweeping statement? It was a reply to the accusations that anti austerity candidates are anti development. People in glasshouses etc. Then again you certainly know bias, given your last number of posts. Its certainly not a vendetta (just going by the definition of the word), more a direct response to something that was said yesterday. As opposed to your prolonged vendetta of at least 5 years.

Where are you getting this data from, or are you simply skewing facts to paint your own picture?
    Are you going to argue that people have more disposable income over the last number of years?
    Or that the banks have had manners put on them? (Increasing CEO salaries, not helping those in mortgage arrears, becoming more ruthless if anything)
    Or lending for SME's is now easier or mortgage debt relief has not been an issue?
    Walk around the town. Businesses closed due to high rents, imposed by the banks relative to the mortgages. Fewer people in the ones that are open due to needing money for increased bills, increased road and carbon taxes etc, water and property charges.

I'm no fan of any political party, nor am I an advocate for the ULA or PBP or any other brigade for that matter, but laying the blame for the state of the county at the door of the present incumbent government is just ridiculous. In fact, that actually sounds like something Micheal Martin would say when he's trying to take a pot shot at the government. The county and country is in the state its in because of FF and what they got away with in the boom times and that is a fact. The issues that face Sligo are the same issues that are affecting every town and city country wide.

I have no affiliation to any party or any group. Fianna Fail ran this country into the ground, but Fine Gael/Labour just picked up the baton and kept going. If this country truly does turn a corner in every respect, the current government cannot take any credit for it.
    Michael Martin can make those claims as well as me, but only one of us can do so without defining hypocrisy.
    True, SME's are crippled with upward only rental agreements yes, but have you noticed over the last few years how many businesses have moved to other premises? Its for this reason, with the amount of vacant properties its easier to get a better rate in a different premises. Its not the Governments fault that businesses entered into legally binding upward only rental agreements.
    Its not the governments fault, however it was in their manifesto that they would: "pass legislation to give all tenants the right to have their commercial rents reviewed, irrespective of upward-only or other review clauses".
    Make promises like that and you will get people voting for you. Fail to implement it in your role in government and you're liable for some of the criticism for struggling businesses.

As was already mentioned here, All other fundamental services that we get are not for free, electricity, heat, fuel and so on, so why should water be any different?

Water is not currently free. Just because the funds are needed due to the government haemorrhaging money paying back what is now a collective debt, doesn't mean we were not paying for it before. Money previously used to pay for water, is now needed for our national debt.
    And before you ask, no I'm not happy about water charges. I'd rather I didn't have to pay any form of property tax or water charges but that's not likely though is it?

Not very likely if people are going to be passive about it. It's not exactly a call to arms for people to collectively say this is too much and too far.
    It seems after all that Buford you're against austerity. Great to hear, hopefully you vote accordingly tomorrow.

The Last debate, from yesterday morning.

https://soundcloud.com/oceanfm/north-west-today-wed-21st-may

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭lippy88

Issues raised with candidates... http://www.rabble.ie/2014/05/22/candidate-camera/

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

Why do people still peddle the canard that we should pay for water because we pay for things like electricity, when we already pay for our water through taxation. In fact the same is true for many with the property tax. Many have paid exorbitant stamp duty of thousands of euro, and now we have to pay again?

Also, the claim is made this is going to services. In fact, it has been going to pay off debts (a large portion of which isn't properly ours) and through have cuts we are getting less services while paying more. Joke.

Euskal raises an interesting point re: the country manager. Sligo County Council is the worst performing council financially in the state. The County Manager, and those who applauded him like seals, do not deserve a vote. Those few who didn't, and sought to check his unaccountable undemocratic power may do. Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Tupamaros wrote: »

Euskal raises an interesting point re: the country manager. Sligo County Council is the worst performing council financially in the state. The County Manager, and those who applauded him like seals, do not deserve a vote. Those few who didn't, and sought to check his unaccountable undemocratic power may do. Simples.

And 2 the most vociferous predicted to top the Sligo poll, McManus and Bree? Who were the others most notable in that respect?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

itac wrote: »
    Dunno about the others but have seen Matt Lyons over the 2 decades that i've been going to Showgies, as well as Marcella (whom, in the interest of fairness i should say i know personally) Her family have lifelong Rovers connections. Dunno bout the rest but maybe don't judge 'em all from one photo op which can only have been agreed to with the help of the bit o'red.
    I should have mentioned that in fairness I know a small amount of them do go to games but majority don't. Matt Lyons is not a regular, Declan Bree goes to the cup finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

Kettleson wrote: »
    And 2 the most vociferous predicted to top the Sligo poll, McManus and Bree? Who were the others most notable in that respect?

David Cawley didn't either. Given he's a blueshirt, that took some balls so fair play to him. More independent minded that most party hacks.

Also, on the Rovers issue. Cllrs. are representatives of the people. They get invited to public events, when sporting/cultural achievements have occurred etc. It would be worse in my opinion of they snubbed events they were not directly involved in and invited to by the people involved. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. How about worry about council policy, rather than how many games of bloody football you see a candidate at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 cranresident

I personally was hoping Seamie O'Boyle would do well in the election and he got my no 1. However his canvassers let him down badly on Wednesday night in Cranmore. Brian O'Boyle a St Angelas College lecturer verbally abused Labour Canvasses and Marcella McGarry, 2 pensioners who were being canvassed at the time by PBP witnessed Brian O'Boyle abusing McGarry, with four other men joining in. The pensioners call B O'Boyle on his behavour and he and his gang then preceded to abuse the pensioners. Disgraceful behavour. Firstly dont come into our community and abuse anyone, regardless of their political side. I have huge problems with issues with these parties but shouting and acting in such an aggressive manner is unacceptable. secondly this so called educated man instigated the whole thing, there was quite a large crowd of them and residents felt very intimidated, and would not open the doors after this incident. This story went round Cranmore like wild fire and people are disgusted. Unfortunately poor Seamie has lost votes because of this, pbp need to drop this liability, I hope Brian O'Boyle is prosecuted for his behavour

Tupamaros wrote: »
    David Cawley didn't either. Given he's a blueshirt, that took some balls so fair play to him. More independent minded that most party hacks.

Also, on the Rovers issue. Cllrs. are representatives of the people. They get invited to public events, when sporting/cultural achievements have occurred etc. It would be worse in my opinion of they snubbed events they were not directly involved in and invited to by the people involved. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. How about worry about council policy, rather than how many games of bloody football you see a candidate at.

Yes fair comment. For my part I was only having a bit of 'Paxman" fun with the Rovers photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I personally was hoping Seamie O'Boyle would do well in the election and he got my no 1. However his canvassers let him down badly on Wednesday night in Cranmore. Brian O'Boyle a St Angelas College lecturer verbally abused Labour Canvasses and Marcella McGarry, 2 pensioners who were being canvassed at the time by PBP witnessed Brian O'Boyle abusing McGarry, with four other men joining in. The pensioners call B O'Boyle on his behavour and he and his gang then preceded to abuse the pensioners. Disgraceful behavour. Firstly dont come into our community and abuse anyone, regardless of their political side. I have huge problems with issues with these parties but shouting and acting in such an aggressive manner is unacceptable. secondly this so called educated man instigated the whole thing, there was quite a large crowd of them and residents felt very intimidated, and would not open the doors after this incident. This story went round Cranmore like wild fire and people are disgusted. Unfortunately poor Seamie has lost votes because of this, pbp need to drop this liability, I hope Brian O'Boyle is prosecuted for his behavour

Yet he still got your No.1? I suppose candidates can't babysit their canvassers but they really should be briefing them on the way they should conduct themselves before letting them loose. Didn't hear about this but wonder what he himself had to say? Was he with them at the time?

Did you contact Seamie to report it?

No he was not there at the time but was around and it was reprted, and fair play to him he went and apologised to the two pensioners imediately, who he would know really well and their families and the people of Cranmore, he is well liked over here. Such a shame on his last night of canvassing, think he would of walked in otherwise, but thats just my opinion.

No he was not there at the time but was around and it was reprted, and fair play to him he went and apologised to the two pensioners imediately, who he would know really well and their families and the people of Cranmore, he is well liked over here. Such a shame on his last night of canvassing, think he would of walked in otherwise, but thats just my opinion.

Not over yet

Not over yet

Not by a long chalk. Going on transfers and eliminations I'd fancy Seamie to nick the seat from McGarry.

Me too, big changes for Sligo

Not by a long chalk. Going on transfers and eliminations I'd fancy Seamie to nick the seat from McGarry.

I'd hope so, but it depends on how many transfers the likes of Kilgannon and Gilroy get from O'Grady and McSharry tho.

How many seats are up for the Sligo area?

I'd hope so, but it depends on how many transfers the likes of Kilgannon and Gilroy get from O'Grady and McSharry tho.

How many seats are up for the Sligo area?

True...

10 seats.

• Advertisement

Think Seamie will get trasfers from Bree and McManus

Think Seamie will get trasfers from Bree and McManus

Good point. He'll get a fairly decent surplus from Bree I'd rekon

Good point. He'll get a fairly decent surplus from Bree I'd rekon

That's a cert, and I'd say he'd get transfers from the first candidates to be eliminated, in preference to Kilgannon and J McGarry. If he gets in I'll certainly raise a glass to his achievement.

That's a cert, and I'd say he'd get transfers from the first candidates to be eliminated, in preference to Kilgannon and J McGarry. If he gets in I'll certainly raise a glass to his achievement.

Me too. I'd be delighted for him.

This may well be the start of things to come in the future a la general elections. After all, Ming ran away with the euro election.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

He was convicted in Sligo District Court of threatening behaviour.

Not for the incident referred to here, though.

See the Irish Times website today, for the report.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/anti-water-charges-campaigner-threatened-pregnant-iw-worker-1.2186567

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Geuze wrote: »
    He was convicted in Sligo District Court of threatening behaviour.

Not for the incident referred to here, though.

See the Irish Times website today, for the report.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/anti-water-charges-campaigner-threatened-pregnant-iw-worker-1.2186567

You really need to read that article again, his case was dismissed as the accuser failed to turn up in court.

EDIT: I see you're on about Brian O Boyle, my mistake..

Advertisement