Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Debzc

JF77 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm hoping to set up a hpat study group for hpat 2015.

I'm based in the south dublin area (ucd / donnybrook) so we'd preferably meet up somewhere in that surrounding region.
    Alternatively, i'm in Wicklow town at the weekends so that could work either.

We'd meet maybe once a week to discuss and work together on questions which we may have found difficulty with.

If you're interested, please send me a PM as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Jane :)

PMed you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

tammy353 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, yes. I am only doing one science and will have to do pre med!

If it's Biology you're not doing, you could plausibly teach it to yourself and get a B.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭leopard trek

I've decided that I'm going to apply to scotland to study nursing in case that medicine goes belly up. It'd mean a three year degree and then hope that I'd be accepted into a medical degree. Anybody heard of anybody who's done this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I've decided that I'm going to apply to scotland to study nursing in case that medicine goes belly up. It'd mean a three year degree and then hope that I'd be accepted into a medical degree. Anybody heard of anybody who's done this?

I don't know about training in Scotland beforehand but every year there are nurses who enter through the graduate path. I would imagine you'd have a much more realistic idea of what hospital-based medicine entailed if you'd trained as a nurse first.

It might be worth your while posting on the Health Sciences Education and Mature and Non-Traditional Students boards. I think you might get a wider range of answers there, from people who are either doing what you want to to do or know someone who has.

spurious wrote: »
    I don't know about training in Scotland beforehand but every year there are nurses who enter through the graduate path. I would imagine you'd have a much more realistic idea of what hospital-based medicine entailed if you'd trained as a nurse first.

It might be worth your while posting on the Health Sciences Education and Mature and Non-Traditional Students boards. I think you might get a wider range of answers there, from people who are either doing what you want to to do or know someone who has.

thanks a mill for your help 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LauraaWhelann

Okay so i just did my first ever whole practice section 2. i got 26/36 (72%) and finished it in 26 mins. ( i rushed it ) is this good/bad? can anyone give me any tips? i know i need to use the whole 45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Junokevv

With an LC of 600/610, what percentile in the HPAT would leave you with a good chance of getting medicine?

Plus are the M-Entry tests of a higher standard then the actual ACER HPAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ben134

So today I sat my first sample paper from the ACER papers (without any previous study) but I haven't done section 3 yet. So far, I got 28/40 in section 1 and 28/36 in section 2, which is about 175-177 points without section 3. Are these tests easier than the actual HPAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ben134

Junokevv wrote: »
    With an LC of 600/610, what percentile in the HPAT would leave you with a good chance of getting medicine?

Plus are the M-Entry tests of a higher standard then the actual ACER HPAT?

With 600/610, you get about 560-562 towards the HPAT, so therefore you should be aiming for about 180 points, maybe a bit more (for trinity), which is the same as getting 60% in each of the 3 sections. Maybe 190 depending on how the points change. I think Galway was 721 last year so you'd only need 160 ish if it stays at that

Section 1 and 2 are both worth twice as much as section 3 (ratio of 2:2:1)

Calculated as follows :

((2xSection1 + 2xSection2 + Section3) /5) x3

Each section is marked out of 100, however, each question is not worth equal marks. For example, if you get 30/40 in section 1, you might not get 75 out of 100 marks for section 1, which is why it's kind of impossible to mark your own paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Ben134 wrote: »
    So today I sat my first sample paper from the ACER papers (without any previous study) but I haven't done section 3 yet. So far, I got 28/40 in section 1 and 28/36 in section 2, which is about 175-177 points without section 3. Are these tests easier than the actual HPAT?

I'd say they're an accurate enough representation for section 3 but section 1 and 2 are a lot harder in the real thing. A lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LauraaWhelann

Ben134 wrote: »
    With 600/610, you get about 560-562 towards the HPAT, so therefore you should be aiming for about 180 points, maybe a bit more (for trinity), which is the same as getting 60% in each of the 3 sections. Maybe 190 depending on how the points change. I think Galway was 721 last year so you'd only need 160 ish if it stays at that

Section 1 and 2 are both worth twice as much as section 3 (ratio of 2:2:1)

Calculated as follows :

((2xSection1 + 2xSection2 + Section3) /5) x3

Each section is marked out of 100, however, each question is not worth equal marks. For example, if you get 30/40 in section 1, you might not get 75 out of 100 marks for section 1, which is why it's kind of impossible to mark your own paper

if you use that formula, what does it give you? a score in points or percentiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

if you use that formula, what does it give you? a score in points or percentiles?

Points. How on earth could it give you a percentile? :P That's graded against others who have taken the test :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Points. How on earth could it give you a percentile? :P That's graded against others who have taken the test :)

I can not understand that formula at all..

Lets so for example I got
    Section 1 - 25/44
    Section 2 - 23/36
    Section 3 - 18/30

Do I just multiply 25 x 2, 23 x 2, 18 x 2 and then divide by 5 and multiply by 3..

that doesnt work properly the score is too low? Or is it your percentage..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

yoyojc wrote: »
    I can not understand that formula at all..

Lets so for example I got
    Section 1 - 25/44
    Section 2 - 23/36
    Section 3 - 18/30

Do I just multiply 25 x 2, 23 x 2, 18 x 2 and then divide by 5 and multiply by 3..

that doesnt work properly the score is too low? Or is it your percentage..

Section 1 is worth 40%, section 2 40%, section 3 20%. Things were easier when they were all worth the same. :pac: 40% of 300 is 120 so that's the total possible marks for 1 and 2, and there's 60 marks possible to gain in S3. 25/44 is 57% (rounding up which ACER won't be as kind to!), 57% of 120 is 68.4...S2 is the same concept, 23/36 is 64%, 64% of 120 is 76.8, and then your S3 score is 60%, 60% of 60 is 36. So 68.4 + 76.8 + 36 = 181.2, so 181. That result might as well mean absolutely nothing to you though as it's a widely-held assumption that ACER don't give questions equal weighting, and besides at the end of the day it won't be your score that really matters but your percentile i.e. how you scored relative to everyone else sitting the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 futuremedic19

I registered and paid for the HPAT and picked Dublin as my city to sit the test, however I can't seem to find where about in Dublin the venue/test centre is. Does anyone know how we find out.

Thanks in advance :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I registered and paid for the HPAT and picked Dublin as my city to sit the test, however I can't seem to find where about in Dublin the venue/test centre is. Does anyone know how we find out.

Thanks in advance :)

It has been in the RDS at least once and in the College of Surgeons another time. I'm sure they will let you know where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I only know which buildings ucc use .campus kitchen in Kane building and the Aula maximum .
    Got kampus kitchen last year and hated every minute of it. The tables were so squished , you could barely move . I was in kampus kitchen for college exams this year and it wasn't as bad..they seemed to squish more people in it during the hpat exam.

I heard that the Aula maximum is by far the better venue to get from several people.

spurious wrote: »
    It has been in the RDS at least once and in the College of Surgeons another time. I'm sure they will let you know where to go.

I see, so will all the details of where I need to go etc be on the admissions ticket. And because I picked Dublin does that definitely mean I will be allocated a seat there ?

When do they send the admissions ticket as I need to book hotels/flights etc.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I see, so will all the details of where I need to go etc be on the admissions ticket. And because I picked Dublin does that definitely mean I will be allocated a seat there ?

When do they send the admissions ticket as I need to book hotels/flights etc.

Cheers :)

Yeah wait for the admission ticket . It will tell you everything including your centre .

I've never heard of someone not getting the region they asked for but that's not to say it can't happen .

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Yeah wait for the admission ticket . It will tell you everything including your centre .

I've never heard of someone not getting the region they asked for but that's not to say it can't happen .

I just read on the website that they send the ticket 2 weeks before the HPAT.

Thanks again mate :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Just wondering is the UCAS application for Medicine in ALL UK Universities closed since October 15th or is there anywhere still accepting applications until January 15th? I'd really appreciate a hand with this..

yoyojc wrote: »
    Just wondering is the UCAS application for Medicine in ALL UK Universities closed since October 15th or is there anywhere still accepting applications until January 15th? I'd really appreciate a hand with this..

Hi I'm from the UK and I've applied to 4 Med schools here and of course the 5 in ROI.

For the UCAS system in the UK this is how it works, for Medicine/Dentistry/Oxbridge ALL must apply by the 15th October deadline.

For all other courses you can apply in Jan.
    So sorry mate you've missed the deadline for UCAS applications for Medicine 2015 entry.

The UCAS system for medicine entry in the UK is a lot more complicated than in the ROI. You have to get work experience/Write a personal statement then sit the UKCAT (or BMAT) then have an interview before finally getting an offer if your application is strong enough.

Please don't hesitate to PM me if you need any help/advice with the UCAS system and it would be a pleasure to help :)

Does anyone know where I can get more practice material for section 2 (apart from the 3 acer practice tests) ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 umar3061

Did anyone do the UKCAT ,I've applied to the UCAS as a plan B. is the UKCAT of any benefit as a means of prep for the HPAT? which is easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Username6212

does anyone know what maths skills are required for section 1? what calculations should we be able to do quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 space_LSA

well done to all you guys doing Medicine. wish you all the best. ***** congratulations on putting all the effort outside of school that you do, good on you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Consonata

Anybody going to the RCSI open day? Looks like it'll be very good.

umar3061 wrote: »
    Did anyone do the UKCAT ,I've applied to the UCAS as a plan B. is the UKCAT of any benefit as a means of prep for the HPAT? which is easier?

Hi I've done the ukcat and I'm applying through UCAS as plan A. I wouldn't really say ukcat is much benefit tbh. The abstart reasoning section and the situational judgement help a bit.

I think hpat is easier. However I'm making that judgement based on the acer practice booklets but people say that the actual HPAT exam is a lot harder.

Just finished my eunicas application. Anybody else doing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 taara

when doing the pratice test I marked myself out of 110 and got 69/110. How do I calculate the CAO points that I would get? I read one thing that said divide your score by 110 and multiply so that would give me 188pts. And then when reading the HPAT booklet by ACER it said to do this calculation [(2 x Section1 + 2 x Section 2 + 1 x Section 3)/5] x 3 which would give me a score of 67.2 out of 100. Does anyone know how to calculate it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement