Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KOloinsigh

Anyone know a good way of preparing for 1st year med? Books to read, videos to look at, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lilac262

KOloinsigh wrote: »
    Anyone know a good way of preparing for 1st year med? Books to read, videos to look at, etc?
    Just enjoy your summer, there is no need to do any sort of prep before 1st med, its a tough enough year but not nearly as bad as I thought, you're better off trying to relax for the summer than trying to study things you won't understand without lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Gabrielazap

Hi guys. Does anybody know roughly how many people applied to medicine (but didn't take it off of their Cao before Cao final deadline) last year and how that figure will compare to this year approximately? ;) I'm asking this btw as I'm worried a load of people took off medicine from their cao last year due to decrease in HPAT points....People realize this year that the low points are not as bad as it looks if you have a descent HPAT percentile so does that mean there will be a lot more demand this year compared to last year? Or are the people who took medicine off their cao last year due to HPAT score that looks low but would have gotten medicine in 2014 an insignificant number? Thanks in advance...this has been nagging at me lately....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EllieViolet

Hello ;) I repeated the HPAT this year and am weighing up my chances here atm! I have 570 in the LC which would be 554 when adjusted, and I got the 86th percentile in the hpat. I'd love to go to UCC as I live near there. Should I be hopeless or do I have some sort of a shot? My apologies if this is coming across maliciously. I'm just a natural overly-anxious person!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

Hello ;) I repeated the HPAT this year and am weighing up my chances here atm! I have 570 in the LC which would be 554 when adjusted, and I got the 86th percentile in the hpat. I'd love to go to UCC as I live near there. Should I be hopeless or do I have some sort of a shot? My apologies if this is coming across maliciously. I'm just a natural overly-anxious person!

Assuming your %ile is around 176 points and points don't go up too much this year you should be fine. UCC was 724 last year, you have 730:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 mlfaw

Hi guys. Does anybody know roughly how many people applied to medicine (but didn't take it off of their Cao before Cao final deadline) last year and how that figure will compare to this year approximately? ;) I'm asking this btw as I'm worried a load of people took off medicine from their cao last year due to decrease in HPAT points....People realize this year that the low points are not as bad as it looks if you have a descent HPAT percentile so does that mean there will be a lot more demand this year compared to last year? Or are the people who took medicine off their cao last year due to HPAT score that looks low but would have gotten medicine in 2014 an insignificant number? Thanks in advance...this has been nagging at me lately....
    Gallagher1 wrote: »
    1) Section 3 was not excluded last year. The weighing of sections changed, the same weighing is being used this year.

2)People who took Medicine off the CAO were the people with <710 points(with the exception of a few fools who got more than 720..)..this didnt affect actual demand/points because they were never gonna get it in the first place.

3) Almost the exact same amount of people applied for Medicine this year, there is no change in demand.

4) There are 3 factors determining Medicine points..Demand, Percentiles and LC scores..everything else is nonsense, there is no 'other perspective'.

It should be around the same.

Ahh I was under the impression a whole hoard of people took medicine off their cao as perhaps they only focused on the low HPAT score and didn't focus on the good percentile?

Ahh I was under the impression a whole hoard of people took medicine off their cao as perhaps they only focused on the low HPAT score and didn't focus on the good percentile?

Hmm, I wouldn't be too certain of the number who took it off after receiving results but they shouldn't affect the overall entry points as it's based of percentiles and LC points for the most part and the number going for Medicine this year is roughly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Lads CAO closes Wednesday.. even if you're not a frequent poster ,where is everyone hoping to go? Where's the First choice??

Lads CAO closes Wednesday.. even if you're not a frequent poster ,where is everyone hoping to go? Where's the First choice??

Galway, it isn't my first choice though that would be Trinity.

• Advertisement

mlfaw wrote: »
    Hmm, I wouldn't be too certain of the number who took it off after receiving results but they shouldn't affect the overall entry points as it's based of percentiles and LC points for the most part and the number going for Medicine this year is roughly the same.

I don't mean to sound rude here but how do you know the numbers applying for medicine is roughly the same? Are you referring to the numbers who sat the HPAT in 2014 and 2015?

TCD is first choice but it's doubtful hahaha I'm hoping for UCC or RCSI...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭15MrC

I don't mean to sound rude here but how do you know the numbers applying for medicine is roughly the same? Are you referring to the numbers who sat the HPAT in 2014 and 2015?

CAO Applicant Statistics available here:
    cao.ie/index.php?page=app_stats&bb=mediastats

Yep! I doubt the figures will flutuate massively from the number who sat the HPAT, though I know people who have sat the HPAT with no intention of going into Medicine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Lads CAO closes Wednesday..
    On that note ...

*** CAO final Change of Mind CLOSES Weds 1st July at 17.15 ***

Please don't leave it to the last minute to amend / update your CAO if you need to, as the system often struggles under the last minute onslaught!!

This is your last chance to get it right!!

77fgTG.jpg

mlfaw wrote: »
    Yep! I doubt the figures will flutuate massively from the number who sat the HPAT, though I know people who have sat the HPAT with no intention of going into Medicine.

Why would someone pay €120 to do HPAT without any intention of doing medicine??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Why would someone pay €120 to do HPAT without any intention of doing medicine??

Mammy and Daddy want their son/daughter to sit it 'just in case'..actually more common than you think..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You might be surprised how many Mammies actually fill out the CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy3

Debating between physiotherapy or pharmacy for second choice after medicine- any advice?

Murphy3 wrote: »
    Debating between physiotherapy or pharmacy for second choice after medicine- any advice?

I personally see pharmacy as a very demanding course but with a very boring outcome (working in a chemist?). I don't know....I'm sure I'm being ignorant and there's more to it than that but that's just my opinion of pharmacy...Physiotherapy seems interesting enough though and seems to be a very rewarding profession :) P.S. are you just filling out your Cato now or just re-jigging it a bit? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy3

I personally see pharmacy as a very demanding course but with a very boring outcome (working in a chemist?). I don't know....I'm sure I'm being ignorant and there's more to it than that but that's just my opinion of pharmacy...Physiotherapy seems interesting enough though and seems to be a very rewarding profession :) P.S. are you just filling out your Cato now or just re-jigging it a bit? ;)

I agree I couldn't work in a chemist but I would throughly enjoy learning the ins and outs of drugs and how they effect the body! :) Then go on to be a hospital pharmacist?.. Sports Physio is the direction I would go- working with teams/professionals. Rejigging everything after medicine because I haven't had a good think about it! Hoping I won't need my second choice ;)! Thank you!

• Advertisement

Murphy3 wrote: »
    I agree I couldn't work in a chemist but I would throughly enjoy learning the ins and outs of drugs and how they effect the body! :) Then go on to be a hospital pharmacist?.. Sports Physio is the direction I would go- working with teams/professionals. Rejigging everything after medicine because I haven't had a good think about it! Hoping I won't need my second choice ;)! Thank you!

No problem! I have dentistry and law after medicine :) Would you consider dentistry in UCC or TCD? Sports Physio would be great, very fun I'd say! Yeah the actual pharmacy course would be veryy interesting but I did work experience in a chemist and it just does not appeal to me at all...perhaps in a hospital it would be more exciting ;) Also, on a side note, I also got the 84th percentile in the HPAT this year! SNAP! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 wooitslucy

Is anyone thinking of repeating the LC and the hpat next year based on hpat results?? I'm conflicted atm and not sure what to do with my cao..

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

wooitslucy wrote: »
    Is anyone thinking of repeating the LC and the hpat next year based on hpat results?? I'm conflicted atm and not sure what to do with my cao..

Wait until leaving cert results are out before you make that decision. Repeat the hpat if you must by all means but there's no way you can decide to repeat the leaving cert without knowing what your results are..

Going to Galway :)
    I did no prep course and got 98th percentile. I think the only think that prep courses help with is practise and you can do that without paying €600. I just bought two exams on the hpat website and did those and that helped me so much. If you have a natural aptitude you will always succeed, just make sure you are confident with the layout of the exam :)

This is the complete truth. It's an unpopular idea but that doesn't make it wrong.

I know this is veryyyyy early but just to see if they're any psychics out there hahaha....anyone care to chance making point predictions for medicine 2015?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I know this is veryyyyy early but just to see if they're any psychics out there hahaha....anyone care to chance making point predictions for medicine 2015?
    Gabriela, step away from the computer!!! :cool:

Open the front door, and walk outside ... that yellow bright ball in the sky radiating heat onto your face is the sun! Enjoy it! :D

Seriously, no-one knows (not even the colleges) what the points will be as yet; they can't, until the LC results are out and factored in.

All the indications so far are that there shouldn't be a huge difference between last year and this year ... that's as much as anyone can say at the moment.

Do try to relax a little, put it out of your mind and enjoy the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rugger123

I got 615 in my leaving last year and 167 in the hpat which was 76th percentile and I got into UCC med by a mile, would have gotten anywhere except TCD with that. Just to give maybe someone out there some peace of mind, I was ye this time last year

Rugger123 wrote: »
    I got 615 in my leaving last year and 167 in the hpat which was 76th percentile and I got into UCC med by a mile, would have gotten anywhere except TCD with that. Just to give maybe someone out there some piece of mind, I was ye this time last year

Would you recommend medicine?

Would you recommend medicine?

Put it this way, I'd recommend UCC but not necessarily medicine

Rugger123 wrote: »
    Put it this way, I'd recommend UCC but not necessarily medicine

Why not.. 5.15 pm Wed 1st July is approaching !!
    :eek:
    Apologies Shouldn't be flippant. Is it not what you imagined / hoped?

• Advertisement

Why not.. 5.15 pm Wed 1st July is approaching !!
    :eek:
    Apologies Shouldn't be flippant. Is it not what you imagined / hoped?

Well most people love it tbf, I dunno I'd take it or leave it like. It just depends on the kind of person you are I think

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement